Rockstead Knowledge Thread

Really loving this Higo in every area !

anpOTJF.jpg

WValtakis WValtakis
Knock it off with the emoji crap. Limit your comments to those in W&C, That's what it is there for.
You've got a whole thread in W&C in which to express your unhappiness with TheFactor. There is no reason for the childishness to spill into the discussion forums.
TheFactor TheFactor
You need to learn ignore this crap instead of screwing up threads. Some people don't like you. A LOT of people don't like me. But I've learned to deal with it and so can you.

Stingray skin will show wear, the black coating wears off the nodules but the nodules themselves are quite durable...they're basically tiny pearls.
Never seen nor heard the wear you speak of on Rockstead Stingray inlays yours is the first .
Have you seen this or is this just speculation on your part ? Have you owned one and if so please provide some pictures of the wear you speak of . Like Micarta , DLC or color by number anodizing by craftsman ? I imagine after time and depending on use they all show some type of wear though.Just haven’t heard or seen it yet on Rockstead Stingray inlays .

Never seen nor heard the wear you speak of on Rockstead Stingray inlays yours in the first .
Have you seen this or is this just speculation on your part ? Have you owned one and if so please provide some pictures of the wear you speak of . Like Micarta , DLC or color by number anodizing by craftsman ? I imagine after time and depending on use they all show some type of wear though.
Yes, as a craftsman I am VERY familiar with the quirks of dyed stingray....Rockstead doesn't have some magical version. If you look at the cut edges you can clearly see the white interior of the calcium nodules, and the layer of black dye on the surface. Obviously, this won't affect safe-queens that are only used for pictures🤷‍♂️
20221106_155430.jpg

Yes, as a craftsman I am VERY familiar with the quirks of dyed stingray. If you look at the cut edges you can clearly see the white interior of the calcium nodules, and the layer of black dye on the surface.
View attachment 1980982
Never seen any issues or wear on Stingray inlays on rocksteads . I imagine it all depends on the craftsman's application and curing process of the stingray .
I’m sure there are many variables just like blade steel and each individual. HRC .

Never seen any issues or wear on Stingray inlays on rocksteads . I imagine it all depends on the craftsman's application and curing process of the stingray .
I’m sure there are many variables just like blade steel and each individual. HRC .
That would be false, all stingray is prepared the same way...it's ALL dyed. That dye WILL wear off with use, there's no way around it.

That would be false, all stingray is prepared the same way...it's ALL dyed. That dye WILL wear off with use, there's no way around it.
Never “ prepared” Stingray’” so I’ll have to take your word on it. But then again I’ve never seen worn out Stingray inlays on Rocksteads. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen just never saw it except for a loose piece you’ve provided.

Never “ prepared” Stingray’” so I’ll have to take your word on it. But then again I’ve never seen worn out Stingray inlays on Rocksteads. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen just never saw it except for a loose piece you’ve provided.

You’ve never seen it because everyone who owns one just takes it in and out of the safe for tabletop pictures.

The dye will eventually wear from the pearls.

Heres a 6 year old EDC SHIN.

But even on my old stingray watch straps they eventually wear.
Very nice love the natural wear patina .
Like any coated surface it’s just a matter of time and use . It’s nice to see the graceful wear on a Rockstead . Thanks for sharing 👍🏻
Just curious after 6 years of use how’s the edge ? Have you sharpened it or sent it back to Rockstead ? I’m guessing you never put it on a stone but just a leather strop block with some green or black compound.
I hear the Zdp 189 holds a working edge for a very long time.

Last edited:
Back