Rockstead Knowledge Thread

Never seen any issues or wear on Stingray inlays on rocksteads . I imagine it all depends on the craftsman's application and curing process of the stingray .
I’m sure there are many variables just like blade steel and each individual. HRC .
The black is wearing off on mine. Can confirm.

Was it made to order or is it their stock sheath?
It was made to order by Cedar Grove Leather they have an etsy page.
I was checking also and it looks to be the Triad Clip Slip and you specify the knife to be fitted in the comments.
It is the triad and yes you specify the knife. This one is made so the butt protrudes a little at the top - I requested this. Typically they're made so the knife is completely snugged in

I always turn the flash off on my camera just to be safe 🤣
I’m only taking photos of my first photos so I don’t have to remove it from its safe place. To each his own I suppose, but I’d never subject my Rocksteads to daily use; some think that’s nuts - they’re probably right, but they didn’t pay for them. I’ll leave them for my kids to fight over!

I’m only taking photos of my first photos so I don’t have to remove it from its safe place. To each his own I suppose, but I’d never subject my Rocksteads to daily use; some think that’s nuts - they’re probably right, but they didn’t pay for them. I’ll leave them for my kids to fight over!
I with you 100%
There are many ways someone can enjoy there knives. There is no wrong or right way it’s what makes them happy. I have ones I use and some are named “My Precious “ 😆
Maybe some sun screen can help the Stingray🤣

Never “ prepared” Stingray’” so I’ll have to take your word on it. But then again I’ve never seen worn out Stingray inlays on Rocksteads. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen just never saw it except for a loose piece you’ve provided.
I've bought several Culpepper sting ray wallets for family members. They last longer than leather or nylon. Never seen one wear out. However the black sting ray leather surface slowly wears off showing the white nodules below due to things in purses, the inside of pockets, hands, etc.

how's it going, I recently purchased a Hizen in YXR7 and was wondering what a good alternative to Pikal would be here in the states. Also is there any reason they suggest a denim strop or would plain old leather work just the same.

I'll never be able to afford one but good god do I love the mirror polish they put on their blades!

how's it going, I recently purchased a Hizen in YXR7 and was wondering what a good alternative to Pikal would be here in the states. Also is there any reason they suggest a denim strop or would plain old leather work just the same.
I've been using flitz polish. I've used mother's mag polish also. Both seem to work well. Mothers is more of a paste and needs to be worked in more. Both need to dry overnight.

Back