Rockstead Knowledge Thread

Love this thread. But it gives me ideas.

Any special care needed for the mirror polished blades?

Love this thread. But it gives me ideas.

Any special care needed for the mirror polished blades?

For me, sometimes wiping it with oil will work, and if it gets wet, dry it and then oil it.
There isn't much that can intentionally damage the mirror finish so if its something minor, rockstead themselves recommended pikal polish but I'm guessing any similar polish paste will do.

I have a single rockstead chou but I don't baby it too much, I have so far broken the tip, regrinded somewhat but have not mirror polished and allowed rust to get to it so my methods may seem cruel to other members....

Well, it's a higo or possibly a hizen based on the secondary bevel (hard to tell about the size as the angle can be deceptive), probably an original with duralumin not Ti but I could be wrong. It could be an old higo as I've seen a couple with the grind like that - definitely older, and could be end user sharpening -again, not sure. I've never seen milling like that, so if it was factory, it was a limited run from a while ago and not one that a lot of people got, as I've never seen it on social media before.

Edit: looking at it again, I definitely say it's a higo. Secondary bevel could be factory or end user sharpening.

Thank you for the replies! It does not sound like something you can go out and just buy.....bummer.

Last edited:
Ya I I'm aware (or think I am) of their current offerings which made me question this.

Best case scenario was it was a one off for certain regions like eastern Europe or maybe Asia and not really cataloged and you could throw a hail marry pass to a dealer in those parts in hopes they could get one or have one in stock....this is somewhat common with watches, for example Sinn....

welp... looks like my savings account will be dented in April... Will be a nice birthday gift to myself...

1dca12a5d13dd57bac97ed6c026af8d7807d987e.jpg

Thanks Dddrees . Patina! That's the word i was looking for
😅
Agreed with you 100%, condition is everything when spending this kind of money. I'm more concern with the condition of the cutting edge, is there a simply test one can do to show it still has the factory edge?
Cutting wave shape strips through news paper? Jim skelton did it on his rockstead shin review video.
I can't mention the price offered to me by the seller (as per forum rules), but it's a significant saving over the normal retail price. It's what they said an offer you can't refuse 😂

By the way the steel is YXR 7+DLC, 2014 model year, serial number 034
Hi, many years later I find this discussion regarding my knife, the UN-DLC #34. I still have it and it was totally fixed by the warranty. There was a few nicks on the edge and even with that it was cutting paper easily. The reason of the damage it's because it was used. I own a fair amount of Japanese blades and I use all of them. For me I don't see the point to keep a knife or a sword in a display cabinet. By the way, I'm still considering selling it.
And the dark red areas you mentioned are certainly due to the oil I put on the blade, there was nothing to worry about.

Back