Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I like the look of that knife. I may borrow that design for the next one I make.

You could do worse Josh! :D :thumbup:

Jack Black, that big RR FB is likely one of the Pakistan made knives that i have found to be nothing like the RR folders we love.
I bought a similar one about 3-4 years ago. Maybe RR has since changed manufacturers for their big FB's ? Only way to know is to buy one and check it out. If the grind is too thick and the edge dull to blunt, then it's the same manufacturer that made the one i had.

Thanks for the tip Joe, the steel is listed, rather vaguely, as 'surgical stainless steel' on the site it's new to. Think I'll wait and see if any user reviews are posted :thumbup:

I've only had a Schrade Sodbuster, but it was a great working knife.

Just seen this RR FB I like the look of :)

rr1394.jpg

What's the current price on HH, Jack?

I might just need one.. ;)

me thinks Mr. Chips has been whittlin' for a fair bit.
"Fantastic" does not do justice to those works.

VM left Sam :thumbup:

Thanks, mate!

I think I really do need one.. might save a few bob and get the less attractive pakkawood version.. got a few 'wants' in the pipeline at the mo' though..

I still really want one of those Castor aitor knives.. they look really pleasant but I can't find them locally. Did I see you post a picture of one a while back? what's the fit and finish like on them?

This Fourmaster in tobacco bone came in the mail today :) Like Josh, I was drawn by the unusual fourth blade - the small half hawk. I'm also liking the main regular clip blade: all my other clips are long/modified/california clips. The fit and finish is nice, no sharp edges (literally :( the edges on this sample were not great), the walk and talk are good (a little softer on the main clip/pen end), the bone color is well matched on both scales and the shield is tidily set. There was some green residue on the handles, I'm thinking maybe it is new "old stock" and it was mold from less than perfect storage? Anyway it appears to have cleaned off just fine.

WP_20150516_19_24_15_Pro_zpsmvmkjiyz.jpg

WP_20150516_19_24_42_Pro_zps9idgsijr.jpg

I meant to add that it cost me less than $10 shipped

Last edited:
Thanks, mate!

I think I really do need one.. might save a few bob and get the less attractive pakkawood version.. got a few 'wants' in the pipeline at the mo' though..

I still really want one of those Castor aitor knives.. they look really pleasant but I can't find them locally. Did I see you post a picture of one a while back? what's the fit and finish like on them?

Hope you'll let us know what you think of it Sam - it's called the Bandito Hunter :thumbup:

The Castors are great knives in my opinion, but I think the small one is no longer produced - thread about them here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1088969-The-Mighty-Pequena Fit and finish is quite acceptable. One of the online retailers may still have some old stock :thumbup:

I've been using a similar-sized Joker knife in the kitchen over the past six months, keep meaning to post a thread about it. A nice alternative I think :thumbup:

I noticed that a brief review was posted, relating to the RR FB above, on the UK site both Samon and I are referring to:

This is an excellent knife good weight and fits the hand well .very sharp out of the box and a well made sheath .one or two file marks on the guard but for the price you cant go wrong very highly recommended .

This Fourmaster in tobacco bone came in the mail today :) Like Josh, I was drawn by the unusual fourth blade - the small half hawk. I'm also liking the main regular clip blade: all my other clips are long/modified/california clips. The fit and finish is nice, no sharp edges (literally :( the edges on this sample were not great), the walk and talk are good (a little softer on the main clip/pen end), the bone color is well matched on both scales and the shield is tidily set. There was some green residue on the handles, I'm thinking maybe it is new "old stock" and it was mold from less than perfect storage? Anyway it appears to have cleaned off just fine.

WP_20150516_19_24_15_Pro_zpsmvmkjiyz.jpg

WP_20150516_19_24_42_Pro_zps9idgsijr.jpg

I meant to add that it cost me less than $10 shipped

I REALLY like the looks of that. Good stuff, Brother!

Captain O

I began buying Rough Riders in 2007. Not sure when they first came out, maybe 1 or 2 years before that ? Prices have not changed much in the last 8 years and these knives remain the greatest enigma in the knife world, meaning the quality is so good and so reliable and the prices so low that i cannot understand how it can be so.
Here are 2 recent acquisitions. There has been a lot of interest in the Barlow pattern thanks to GEC and the Waynorth SFO's, so i bought this RR 346. It is beautiful and functions perfectly.

ejcy8g.jpg

2nixo43.jpg

Early on in my RR buying daze, i found the Lockbacks to be particularly fine. Always solid lockup and never even hint of a wiggle. Having not bought an RR LB for some time i bought this # 1176 for $10.50 delivered.

f3tcar.jpg

This knife opens so smoothly it is as if riding on glass bearings. It is almost as smooth as my Steve Hoel Utility folder which cost me 60 times as much !

21n2p8n.jpg

2n1yfrp.jpg

I love all well made knives and i get as much pleasure and sense of satisfaction from my Rough Riders as i do from my collections of far more expensive knives including Customs.
So, although the RR knives remain an enigma, i continue to be the beneficiary of this enigma.
kj

Nice KJ :) If RR ever do anything in carbon steel, I'm not sure I'll buy anything else :thumbup:

Good and valid points KJ.

Probably posted this before here but I've been very pleased with their Barlows, this one had some scrim done on it which adds to it I think.

Regards, Will.

IMG_1489.jpg

I agree wholeheartedly with much of what KJ posted above concerning Rough Rider quality and cost. I also happened to order several RR and Colt knives a few weeks ago, and finally found time to take photos of them (surprising how much time I invest in knife photography given the rather disappointing quality of the final results :(). I'll try to post photos here over the next couple of weeks, displaying my newest arrivals.

Like KJ, I recently ordered a RR lockback. This one has handles that RR advertises as barkbone. It's a very solid knife with which I'm quite happy! :)
VETO9jCl.jpg

3pq1egGl.jpg

27fF6bil.jpg

- GT

I began buying Rough Riders in 2007. Not sure when they first came out, maybe 1 or 2 years before that ? Prices have not changed much in the last 8 years and these knives remain the greatest enigma in the knife world, meaning the quality is so good and so reliable and the prices so low that i cannot understand how it can be so.
Here are 2 recent acquisitions. There has been a lot of interest in the Barlow pattern thanks to GEC and the Waynorth SFO's, so i bought this RR 346. It is beautiful and functions perfectly.

ejcy8g.jpg

2nixo43.jpg

I've never seen a Rough Rider with abalone covers. Or is that acrylic? Either way, it's really nice looking.

Probably posted this before here but I've been very pleased with their Barlows, this one had some scrim done on it which adds to it I think.

Regards, Will.

IMG_1489.jpg

I remember seeing that one before, Will, but I'm not tired of it yet. :D A really nice job of scrimshaw. :thumbup:

R8shell, the Rough Rider Barlow has "imitation Abalone", according to the site I bought mine from.
They do not specify if acrylic or celluloid. I suspect acrylic, though.

PS I just compared mine to the photo above. There are slight variations, just as you would find if real Abalone was used.

Regards, Will.

IMG_1489.jpg

Very nice Scrimshaw Will.

Just got this white bone barlow in and sharpened up. I must say I am very impressed. Love the horseshoe stamped bolster and oiled white bone.

Back