Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I know that this is not a popular idea here, but I and my whittlin' students have used a lot of the Chinese Schrade knives, and have found them to be quite good. The steel takes and keeps a good edge and they are NOT made with the Swinden Key construction system (thank goodness), so if they do loosen up a bit it is easy to correct the situation.

I have also tried and been pleased with the Imperial Schrade offerings.

Give them an honest try.

True story (all my stories are true - some more than others!). Several years ago, I was contacted by a chip carver who wanted a pocket knife modified to be just for chip carving. I modified a made in the USA stock knife and sent it to him. He returned it without even trying it because the blades were made of stainless steel.

I could understand if he had tried it and found that the blades didn't take or hold the edge that he wanted, but I think that he was afraid that his anti stainless prejudice was about to be destroyed, (it would have too, because those blades were just as good and probably better than any carbon steel blades that I have ever tried) and he didn't want that.

I think a lot of the attitudes about Chinese knives are held by people who have never given the good ones an honest try, or are based on some relatively ancient history. The Chinese Swiss Army knockoffs that have flooded the market in the last 15 years or so, have been utter trash, and it could be that people are basing their opinions on them.

Thanks, I might just give one a try. They aren't quite the bargain that RR are, but I would guess the quality is pretty similar. And yes, thank goodness for no Swinden key. I never had a problem with an Old Timer, but I have an Ulster Scout that has gone loosey goosey because of them.

The dislike for stainless steel WAS honestly come by. Until about WW2, when Krupp, I think (Knarfeng can confirm), developed a composition and/or heat treatment for stainless steel, it was an awful cutlery steel.

Generally speaking, though, carbon steels will take a finer edge than stainless steels because of the lack of chromium particles. One area where the fine edge is actually desirable is woodcarving (one can debate endlessly the quality of edge for more general purposes).

The main resentment for the Chinese Schrades, and I share a bit of it, although it has worn off over the years, is not the Chinese part so much as the Schrade part and the somewhat deceptive marketing. I generally have no problem with Chinese knives. I initially found it irksome that Taylor became the owner of Schrade, just on general principles; offshoring just added insult to injury.

Last edited:
Received this RR Trapper in the mail this morning. On the blade it reads SUPPORT THE CAUSE. On the tang is stamped..MAN KNIVES.

Can anyone tell me anything about this one? Special run for some event??
0513151718-00.jpg

Woodcarving is what I do most with knives.

Mostly, I have found that good cutlery stainless takes just as good an edge - every bit as fine - as 1095, and keeps it at least as well.

A few years ago, when Camillus was still making knives, I developed a great affection for their stainless. It was better than their carbon for whittling wood - pine, bass, birch, yellow cedar etc. An I whittled a LOT of it. Still do.

In fact, I have tried some pretty good carbon blades (Queen and vintage German) which have not performed any better (actually not as well) than the current RR, Colt,Marbles stainless. I have a GEC 38 Grinling Whittler on the way. It will be interesting to see how that works.

Thanks, I might just give one a try. They aren't quite the bargain that RR are, but I would guess the quality is pretty similar. And yes, thank goodness for no Swinden key. I never had a problem with an Old Timer, but I have an Ulster Scout that has gone loosey goosey because of them.

The main resentment for the Chinese Schrades, and I share a bit of it, although it has worn off over the years, is not the Chinese part so much as the Schrade part and the somewhat deceptive marketing. I generally have no problem with Chinese knives. I initially found it irksome that Taylor became the owner of Schrade, just on general principles; offshoring just added insult to injury.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I still find it hard to buy a "New Timer" Schrade, even though I hate Swinden key construction, and I have picked up quite a few Chinese knives over the years.

Woodcarving is what I do most with knives.

Mostly, I have found that good cutlery stainless takes just as good an edge - every bit as fine - as 1095, and keeps it at least as well.

A few years ago, when Camillus was still making knives, I developed a great affection for their stainless. It was better than their carbon for whittling wood - pine, bass, birch, yellow cedar etc. An I whittled a LOT of it. Still do.

In fact, I have tried some pretty good carbon blades (Queen and vintage German) which have not performed any better (actually not as well) than the current RR, Colt,Marbles stainless. I have a GEC 38 Grinling Whittler on the way. It will be interesting to see how that works.

Oh I don't doubt it. I think I do have a bit more difficulty getting as fine an edge on most stainless as I do, say Case CV. Probably technique, but CV seems to really respond to a strop in a way that no stainless I own does. Was it Camillus' sort of end-stage production? I think that was 440A, earlier it might have been 440C, which was definitely a big carbide steel.

What patterns do you like for carving? Have you tried the Rough Riders? The congress in the preceding post is a tempter.

Received this RR Trapper in the mail this morning. On the blade it reads SUPPORT THE CAUSE. On the tang is stamped..MAN KNIVES.

Can anyone tell me anything about this one? Special run for some event??
I think it had something to do with prostate cancer awareness.

I had and sold Camillus knives for quite a few years. All the stainless I had and used was great, and stropped up to a great edge using green or aluminum oxide white on a leather or denim strop.

I like whittler patterns if they are set up for whittlin', stockman patterns can be good, congress, like that RR pictured can be tricked up to make fine whittlers.

here are a few tricked up knives:

010_zps6a3af17e.jpg~original
[/IMG]

007_zps9d2c99c2.jpg~original
[/IMG]

012_zpsfeb7331c.jpg~original
[/IMG]

and a couple of whittlin's:

004_zpsc78d3ea7.jpg~original
[/IMG]

001_zps07abd92d.jpg~original
[/IMG]

That's a tricked up vintage (Pre WW II Remington with the little guy.

Based on what I have read here over the years, the current crop of Chinese Schrade knives are of better quality than the earlier ones. There were some folks who honestly tried the early ones and found them wanting. I have heard good things about the more recent ones.

I bought this Imperial Schrade knife a few years ago. I didn't expect much for $8.00 and since I have a few 1960's-70's Imperial knives , I figured this might be a lower end knife as those were. But I was wrong, it has heavy SS liners and bolsters, plus the covers are thick acrylic.
It's actually a very nice knife.

This one is a Schrade branded knife , it's a large 2 blade jack, about the size of GEC's big jack. I bought five different patterns in this series , they were on closeout for about $15 each.

r8shell, your 2 interlocked chain links are most impressive. I'm still trying to work out how it's done.
And Mr. Chips you are an accomplished whittler for sure. I particularly like the smiling old man. He looks so happy !
kj

r8shell, your 2 interlocked chain links are most impressive. I'm still trying to work out how it's done.
And Mr. Chips you are an accomplished whittler for sure. I particularly like the smiling old man. He looks so happy !
kj

A chain is conceptually simple, but hard to execute. Visualize a chain. It has links running vertically (like an O) and horizontally (dashes). To get that, start with a rectangular block, reduce to a elongated +, looks like a simple + from end-on. Then draw in your links, whittle out the excess, and refine. Hard to do, but satisfying.

Based on what I have read here over the years, the current crop of Chinese Schrade knives are of better quality than the earlier ones. There were some folks who honestly tried the early ones and found them wanting. I have heard good things about the more recent ones.

I have no reference to the older Taylor/Schrades, as mine have all been bought in the past year, but the new ones are very good knives. They do have some minor fit and finish problems, but they are still great values. None of them hit the back springs when closing, and they snap open and closed with authority. The covers come with some pretty sharp corners though, so I use a dremel to sand them smooth and more in-line with the bolsters. After that they are very comfortable to use at a price where I'm willing to actually USE them! I love my US made traditionals, but there are times when I'm not sure I want to risk messing them up, so the Taylor/Schrades get used.

Rough Riders are nicer and more attractive IMHO. I do like the durable, tough appearance of the Old Timer covers though. Just depends if you want a "looker" or just a "worker" I guess.

I've only had a Schrade Sodbuster, but it was a great working knife.

Just seen this RR FB I like the look of :)

rr1394.jpg

Mr. Chips, what delightful carvings you create
Jack Black, that big RR FB is likely one of the Pakistan made knives that i have found to be nothing like the RR folders we love.
I bought a similar one about 3-4 years ago. Maybe RR has since changed manufacturers for their big FB's ? Only way to know is to buy one and check it out. If the grind is too thick and the edge dull to blunt, then it's the same manufacturer that made the one i had.
kj

Back