Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

That's a beauty, LB!! :thumbup::thumbup: Did you do all that carving with it already today?? Smooth bone and acorn shield look NICE!

I bought one back in December but haven't used it much yet. I, too, was very impressed with the quality. I'm hoping I'll have more time for whittling this summer and can put the "cannitler" through its paces. I'm actually considering sending it off to a "pro" to get the blades reprofiled for whittling.
DkhUgX6l.jpg

- GT

Hey buddy thanks!! No I didn't whittle the stuff in the pic. It's actually the cover of a whittling book I bought today as well lol.

I got this a few days ago, really nice loveless hunter style knife for £12!

(apologies if this is solely for folding RR models..)

Bargain Sam! :) I got one recently too, can't fault it :thumbup:

@ Mr Bad Example: Do you have the RR number for that congress whittler? Is it the 457 with a different shield?

What's the size of that fixie Jack? I might have to look into one of these. :thumbup:
Just found the info online. Looks like a good size and the price is right.

Last edited:
What's the size of that fixie Jack? I might have to look into one of these. :thumbup:

I make it 3 1/2" blade, 8 1/4" overall Bob (had to get the tape measure out as the site I bought it from gives the measurements in those darn 'cheating inches'!) :thumbup:

:D Thanks Jack. I never really looked into RR fixed blades. I'm thinking for the money, they'd be decent to toss into a tackle box or whatnot. :thumbup:

First one I've had Bob, I'm not short of fixed blades, but you know I can't resist a bargain ;)

Whereas every Traditional style RR folder i have is a very good knife, the same is not true for the RR branded fixed blades, I have the Hunter FB pictured above and it is a 'good' one; feels fine in hand and a reasonably thin grind with the usual hair poppin' edge.
But some of the RR FB's are from Pakistan and the blades are too thick and have little taper to the edge and are dull++.
I'm sure Pakistan manufacturers are capable of making high quality knives so either RR made a poor choice of manufacturer or were not willing to pay for a quality product. Usually you can see "Pakistan" as a very faint etch somewhere on the blade.
The only other RR's i have found to be 'not so good' are the Tactical styled folders. I'm sure these are not made by the manufacturer of the Traditional styled ones as there is a big difference in quality.
kj

I'd previously read here that the RR fixed blades were made in Pakistan Joe, and some of them look to be poorly made. I noticed that the one above was made in China, so thought I'd give it a try at such a low price, and I was pleasantly surprised. A British wholesale knife company have been selling an identical knife for a while under their own name, though the UK retail price is about twice as high.

Got me a glow in the dark trapper in the mail this morning. Surprised at how bright it is!:)
0511151136-00.jpg

I've got the RR lockback with the same style handle, blade and etched bolsters; nice knife. Does anyone have the Colt Railsplitter in brown bone stag? I'm thinking that will be my next addition.
Rich

I do.

I modify the blades and they make great whittlers.

There is a real fistful of knife there, which helps prevent hand cramping in long whittlin" sessions

What's the word on the Taylor (gag) "Schrades?" I notice that they have reintroduced the 93OT Wrangler, which is always a pattern I thought I would like. Thinking about getting one, but I can be talked out of it easily.

I know that this is not a popular idea here, but I and my whittlin' students have used a lot of the Chinese Schrade knives, and have found them to be quite good. The steel takes and keeps a good edge and they are NOT made with the Swinden Key construction system (thank goodness), so if they do loosen up a bit it is easy to correct the situation.

I have also tried and been pleased with the Imperial Schrade offerings.

Give them an honest try.

True story (all my stories are true - some more than others!). Several years ago, I was contacted by a chip carver who wanted a pocket knife modified to be just for chip carving. I modified a made in the USA stock knife and sent it to him. He returned it without even trying it because the blades were made of stainless steel.

I could understand if he had tried it and found that the blades didn't take or hold the edge that he wanted, but I think that he was afraid that his anti stainless prejudice was about to be destroyed, (it would have too, because those blades were just as good and probably better than any carbon steel blades that I have ever tried) and he didn't want that.

I think a lot of the attitudes about Chinese knives are held by people who have never given the good ones an honest try, or are based on some relatively ancient history. The Chinese Swiss Army knockoffs that have flooded the market in the last 15 years or so, have been utter trash, and it could be that people are basing their opinions on them.

Good point Mr Chips.

Most of my RR knives I've found more than acceptable and not just because of a low price. Three or four of them I like very much indeed and would not want to lose or be without them, their ability to cut very cleanly and stay sharp are impressive - that has to be a major factor in deciding whether a knife is any good or not. As for the fixed blade Jack and others talked about, I've had one in my shed for three or more years as a beater garden knife, it often gets to -30c here in winter and the shed is unheated. The handles show no shrink or warp and it's very sharp even after slicing turf which is to say the least unkind on edges!

Thanks, Will

Back