Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Smashed a pumpkin today, love that soup!

RR-potiron.jpg

Picked up a few from Rough Rider's new line, called "Old Forge."

All three needed significant flushing of the joints. The ram's horn ones are cool looking but I'm not sure they'll see a lot of use. We'll see after I get them broken in. F&F are not great - seems like "old world craftsmanship" makes a nice, easy excuse for gappy liners and springs.

The lockback with the copper and really pretty burl, however, is a definite keeper for me!

3OF1.jpg

3OF2.jpg

OFLB.jpg

No idea.

I would assume the lockback has the same steel (440?) as other RR's. The construction seems to be of the same quality, F&F are as good as any rough rider I've handled. It's my only RR lockback but I wouldn't be surprised if this is new materials on an existing frame. I have to add I LOVE the copper pins and liners! It really is a handsome knife!

The ram's horn ones, I think, were made in a different factory. Side play, gaps, almost dangerously vague half-stop on one, none that I can detect on the other. the ram's horn ones also have worked liners.

"tstaut"

Thanks for the above comments and picture for the Old Forge folder.

I am a sucker for wood, figured burl in particular. Even if it's a laminate (especially at these prices).

Bought both the OF026 (3.25" blade) and the OF028 (2.375" blade). Both of these have the slanted/grooved copper bolsters.

I'm not sure that the "Old Forge" lineup sits within the RR brand. None of the sites I visited had OF branded with RR.

Warning: Several purchase sites have confused and transfixed the model numbers and have even thrown in the non-slanted bolster version for extra befuddlement.

Last edited:
"tstaut"

Thanks for the above comments and picture for the Old Forge folder.

I am a sucker for wood, figured burl in particular. Even if it's a laminate (especially at these prices).

Bought both the OF026 (3.25" blade) and the OF028 (2.375" blade). Both of these have the slanted/grooved copper bolsters.

I'm not sure that the "Old Forge" lineup sits within the RR brand. None of the sites I visited had OF branded with RR.

Warning: Several purchase sites have confused and transfixed the model numbers and have even thrown in the non-slanted bolster version for extra befuddlement.

Perhaps I'm one of the befuddled, but I assumed they were by RR as that's the brand under which I found them at that big mountain site, and also, the anvil logo looks like a clear brand extension - I'm a marketing guy by trade and immediately recognized the anvil on the tang stamps and logos from some of RR marks.

Anyway, the lockback screams RR to me; the other ones seem like they were jobbed elsewhere. Even the familiar RR edge is present on the lockback and not the others.

I stated above: "I'm not sure that the "Old Forge" lineup sits within the RR brand."

Still not sure (and making no claims of knowledge nor insight), but "tstaut" is correct. The mountainous purveyor of our beloved RRs does, indeed, fit the "Old Forge" line within the RR brand. Others - and there aren't many - do not.

RR or not, I'm looking forward to receiving and inspecting the FO026 and FO028.

Just bought this - awaiting delivery.

Seller stated that he is unsure of the RR #, but is sure that it is a Copperhead (not a mini or a small) and that it is currently out of production.

Anyone know?

RR%20MoP_zpsqcco2gsy.jpg

P.S. Please, if you post a picture of a Rough Rider, include the RR #. If ZT, Benchmade, Buck, GEC and other fans can do it, so can we!

Last edited:
I think Old Forge is under the RR "brand", but may be built at another facility. Here is a useful site that contains links to who owns who as far as brands go, (scroll down to the bottom for various links), including a link of reviews for RR knives: http://apg2k.hegewisch.net/.

Hmm, unfortunate to hear the 'Old Forge' line isn't up to the same standards as RR, they have a great look to them.

I've been carrying a Steel Warrior Whittler as of late...

Only own a few Steel Warriors, but in my experience, they're right there with RR in terms of bang for buck.

Above, "sh00ter01" pictures a SW and likens the value he finds in it to RR.

I have been curious about the Steel Warrior line and Frost Cutlery in general. Searches for SW here on BF produce scarce information. In general, here and elsewhere, Frost draws neutral-and-below comments.

Narrowing to SW, at generally twice the cost of RR, have any of you had experiences with SW that you might compare with RR?

I have been curious about the Steel Warrior line and Frost Cutlery in general. Searches for SW here on BF produce scarce information. In general, here and elsewhere, Frost draws neutral-and-below comments.

Narrowing to SW, at generally twice the cost of RR, have any of you had experiences with SW that you might compare with RR?

Well,I hate to admit it,but when I firtst started this newer copy of trads i bought several SW...I've had,and still have some
that are very good quality controlled knives....But,I've had some,seen some that were not too quality controlled...My worst
complaint is dirt left in the liners for the blades to rub against opening and closing....it's hard to get it out,sometimes it's
impossible to get it out....It feels real gritty when closing.....Most of the ones I have now are very good fnf....i gave the
others away few years ago.....I've also had some really good feeling Frost in general,but the SWs are one of their top of
the line models......They have a few others with diff name badges,same knives Im betting....The one sh00ter01 has posted is
one of my favorite bone materials from SW.....Is that the Mojave?...If not,it's similar.....

The Burgh-Message me at email below...I have several i'll send you pictures of.....They'll all be nice ones....If I have any crap left
I'll send pics of those as well.....
JD
msjdracing@rtmc.net

p.s.if the link to photobucket is still in my signature you'll see some nicer ones....

I haven't bought any other Frost knives, only have a few from the Steel Warrior line. They do cost a little more, I always wait for a sale or free shipping on them. Otherwise, yes you could have 2 RR for the price of 1 SW (depending on model of course). Just looked back and this one ran me $11.69, not too bad.

Well,I hate to admit it,but when I firtst started this newer copy of trads i bought several SW...I've had,and still have some
that are very good quality controlled knives....But,I've had some,seen some that were not too quality controlled...My worst
complaint is dirt left in the liners for the blades to rub against opening and closing....it's hard to get it out,sometimes it's
impossible to get it out....It feels real gritty when closing.....Most of the ones I have now are very good fnf....i gave the
others away few years ago.....I've also had some really good feeling Frost in general,but the SWs are one of their top of
the line models......They have a few others with diff name badges,same knives Im betting....The one sh00ter01 has posted is
one of my favorite bone materials from SW.....Is that the Mojave?...If not,it's similar.....

The Burgh-Message me at email below...I have several i'll send you pictures of.....They'll all be nice ones....If I have any crap left
I'll send pics of those as well.....
JD
msjdracing@rtmc.net

p.s.if the link to photobucket is still in my signature you'll see some nicer ones....

'Butter Rum Bone' is what they call it. Guess I've been lucky with mine, they've all been great, though the springs on the Whittler did need some breaking in. They were pretty strong to start, especially the main blade.

Last edited:
Just ordered the Old Forge Lockback and hammered knives as well as the Colt hammered blade lockback.
Now broke - please don't post anymore neat knives that I will have to acquire :)
Rich

Back