Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

GT, the stag canoe looks like primitive bone from GEC! I love that weathered look. The medium stockman in stag has the lowest riding blades of any two-blade knife I've seen, much less a three-blade. It really is something special, just disappears in your pocket, yet all that cutting power, and nice stag, too.

RRstagComp_zpsbnzygmuy.jpg~original

One of the things that has led to a bit of an obsession with canoes for me is their smooth profile, the "sunken joints" or double copperhead effect with no tang corners sticking up when the blades are closed. Jeff, your RR medium stockman is just a fraction of an inch away from that! :cool:

Thanks for the compliment on my canoe's covers. :) The "primitive bone" look might just be a lighting trick, though. Here's another pic of the canoe showing what I think are more natural colors.

PgA5G2vl.jpg

- GT

Nice looking knife GT.

Absolutely gorgeous Canoe!

I'd gladly have those scales on any knife I own or will buy!

Thanks for the compliments, Vinifera and The Burgh. :) I was very pleased with how that canoe looked once it actually arrived. The online pictures that I saw seemed pretty inconclusive to me in terms of what the stag would actually look like.

FWIW, here's a shot of the pile side:
EUASEy5l.jpg

- GT

I got a full sized RR canoe with yellow synthetic covers today, and overall I can't really complain for the price. No significant gaps in the liners, blades snap open (they don't close with the same authority as a Case), both blades came sharper than any Case or Queen or GEC I've seen, and overall I'm really liking the pattern. My first canoe!

Only significant gripe I have for the price is that the color of the covers is very inconsistent. especially on the mark side. I understand you can't expect perfection from a sub-$10 knife, but I feel like covers that don't fade to white are still a reasonable expectation. Might have to order another one and have a giveaway for this one.

Overall very pleased with the knife for the price, it's a great way to try out a pattern. I'm sure there will be more in my future.

Can someone who owns both of these barlows, post a picture comparing the thicknesses of the scales for me?
4Q01DC.jpg

I recently bought a RR778 Rough Rider Mini Trapper and a RR879 Copperhead to give as stocking stuffer gifts for my nephews. I was so impressed with them that I ordered a RR740 Little Barlow in jigged bone for myself. Well I was so impressed with that, I went and ordered a RR481 saw cut bone Barlow and an RR048 jigged bone Canoe. The Barlow came today and its one nice knife for less than ten dollars! Nice snap, no blade wobble, scalpel sharp, and beautiful scales. I like the match striker nail nicks too.

Last edited:
First impression: WOW!!!
This thing is beautiful! It is also big, about 1/2 inch longer than my Buck 301.
The stones and "genuine MOP" covers are perfect, the stone and MOP are fitted with precision, no gaps or flaws. The stoneworx covers are on both sides of the knife, and each inlay on both sides are exactly the same size and shape.
The bolsters are ringed and ... what is it called ... Anyway, the bolsters are fancy.

The blades are the "standard" Clip main, sheepsfoot, and spey. All have matchstrike nail nicks. This is a two back spring design, the main blade is on its own spring, the spey and sheepsfoot share a spring. The sheepsfoot is crinked a little, for clearance. There is absolutely no blade rub or wobble.
I must say, all three blades are probably the sharpest I've ever gotten out of the box. I dropped a beard hair on the spey, and it cut the hair!
There are no gaps to speak of between the liners and springs. The springs are flush with the blades open and closed, there is no half stop on any of the blades. The pull on the blades is not too stiff nor too soft. There is a satisfying click opening and closing the blades.

For my line of work, I think this is a bit too fancy for EDC, but it will be quite fitting for special occasions and as a "Sunday go to meetin'" knife.

In short, if you are looking for an exceptional large Stockman, this knife deserves your consideration.

Another WOW for Rough Rider! In this case, a #473 Copperhead.

(BTW, I for one would appreciate if RR posters would include the model # with their descriptions and pictures. Easy to do for fans of Benchmade, ZT, Buck, Case, etc.. Why not here?)

RR%20473_zpssxlm3yo8.jpg

Been said here many, many times: Value!

Here is a Trapper I just picked up few days ago....
jd

12314646_525390564304058_8468383180807320325_o.jpg

these are some great values,but i gotta quit buying so many knives....Im gonna have to sell em to pay bills.....I have a case of
knife addiction in general....JD

Ha, funny you mention the Flexcut, because I've had Carvin, Jack suspended in an online shopping cart for over a month now. I really want it, but just haven't been able to convince myself it would get the use for the price. I really need to put the Sarge Carver to work before I buy something expensive and really only good for carving.

I've honestly done more carvin' with a few Rough Riders than anything else...including many much more expensive knives that are available right in front of me. Usually grab an RR Barlow, Elephants Toenail, and a Sowbelly.

Here's the result of a lazy Sunday afternoon hanging with the Fam. Done with a couple of my RR Older Yellers.

2wogbcn.jpg

2ijgmlt.jpg

And some 1911 thin grips done mostly with the Toenail, until sanding. Still haven't finished them yet, need some stain and epoxy clear coat.

s2s3du.jpg

And something with a bit more detail, a family name wall hanging. Used the Barlow and Toenail for the roughing, but then got lazy and broke out the dremmel.

ok3pc9.jpg

Good carvin/whitllin. Most traditional can carve but they really shine when flat ground from the spine to the enge. Of course not all knives have enough metal to be flat ground. That toenail might could be a candidate. But you can thin the primary grind then put on a low angle bevel. I take it step further by convexing the Shoulder. Kind of cheating but works pretty good. Really reduces the force needed to push the knife through wood. I have gotten blister from it!

Another WOW for Rough Rider! In this case, a #473 Copperhead.

(BTW, I for one would appreciate if RR posters would include the model # with their descriptions and pictures. Easy to do for fans of Benchmade, ZT, Buck, Case, etc.. Why not here?)

RR%20473_zpssxlm3yo8.jpg

Been said here many, many times: Value!

The model number of the Stoneworx Stockman is RR915 :)

"Opyo01.CoM"추성훈[고양오피]∈OP오피요∋목동건마♬동암오피

sure! you're absolutely right but needless to say three times, was clear enough the first time! :D

I just ordered one of these Boker Plus Barlows in 440C, thought I'd see what it was like.

01bo493.jpg

Seems a good barlow. I appreciate the small pen.

We'll see, I've found Boker Plus non-traditionals to be OK, priced about twice what RR go for. I'll report back :thumbup:

I have bought and tried out nearly all of the inexpensive offshore Traditional style folders. Boker Plus, Steel Warrior, Ocoee River, Marbles, Kissing Crane and a few others are all very good knives and excellent value for the money, but so far nothing is quite as consistently up to RR level of fit, finish and cutting ability.
This only applies to Traditional style folding knives. The more Tactical style RR folders are not as good, likely made in a different factory.
I have tried out a few RR fixed blades and most are a disappointment. I do have a couple of China made ones that are 'best in class' for the price, but other China made ones are not as good. So far none of the Pakistan made RR fixed blades has been worth buying.
I would like to see RR drop the lower quality knives and only market knives from the factory (or factories) that consistently make their best knives, meaning the Traditional style folding knives.
kj

I have three Rough riders, and so far, I am really impressed. My first two were a marlinspike and a camp knife. My son liked the marlinspike so much I ordered another for him. The camp knife is riding in the bottom of my wife's purse. She favors traditionals, especially Case, but I have to say she is lukewarm on this one, even though I think it is very well-made.

The one that really knocks me out is the large toothpick that arrived yesterday. I regret that my crappy cell phone pic does not do it justice, because this knife is really gorgeous: sawn bone with slanted, fluted (or scalloped) brass bolsters. It is actually a bit garish, bigger and better-looking than I ever imagined from the pics that accompanied the listing. At 9" overall, with four inches of blade, it is almost as long as a Kudu, a real pimp's knife.
3T78K5.jpg

That's my first impression. It's hard to say how this knife will wear on me. I might continue to like it a lot, but it's also possible that, after a few weeks i'll be real sick of it.

Last edited:
I just ordered one of these Boker Plus Barlows in 440C, thought I'd see what it was like.

01bo493.jpg

Unimpressed with this :thumbdn: The RR Barlows are nicer knives at half the price :thumbup:

Back