Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I brought out my armor hide mini barlow for today's edc

Isn't that a gem? I have one of those, though the bone is nearly black rather than that brown colour. A really fantastic small lockback with a thin keen blade. As others have noted, RR stainless is extremely impressive stuff and appears to arrive deadly sharp. Hurrah for that as I find it insulting to have to spend a long time on a new pocket-knife just to get it to do what it should straightaway, cut cleanly.

I'll say ^!

Last Halloween I had just finished sharpening the thing on a benchstone when I had the smart idea to use it to carve a pumpkin. It was a really large, thick pumpkin and I had underestimated the slicing ability of those RR thin blades. I plunged the mini barlow blade facing up into an inch and half thick pumpkin trying to carve a wide grin into it.

In pushing firmly upward it sliced clean up the pumpkin's side and then to my dismay -out... cutting the flesh of my thumb in half! I damn near fainted in disbelief. I cobbled my thumb back together with duct tape and it healed up a few months later with no nerve damage. I was lucky though!

I'll save the bloody photo of what became of my thumb immediately after cutting it but here is the scar a year later, you can see the deep V cut that went from one side of my thumb to the other side. This is one instance where I was happy to see a made in China "surgical steel" label on a knife, lol. Just kidding! The 440a on these knives have great heat treat though, I can't say the same for Frost or Steel Warrior branded MIC knives though.

Ok, I have a problem. I see a little RR or Colt that I like the looks of, then before I know it, I'm looking for every model I can find in that scale series. So far I only have four of the Stoneworx. But I do have a couple sitting in a shopping cart, just waiting for me to add a few more in order to get up to the free shipping quantity. [emoji41]. Also really liking the brown sawcuts that look like a big fingerprint. And only recently found the armor hide. Just one so far, but really like it. Think I have all but a couple of the Black Stag Bone Series of Colts.

161z2u1.jpg

2n07lnm.jpg

I agree completely with Pomsbz about that Remington canoe! :thumbup:
AVghQDcl.jpg

I liked mine so much that I later ordered a Peanut from the same series:
yIvegKHl.jpg

I'm really happy with this set!
69W0uATl.jpg

- GT

Does RR make those Remington's? They look great. I absolutely love high contrast woods.

All they need to do now is up the steel! The Chinese know how to do good steel, it's only a matter of time.

The steel in the two Taylor-Schrades I purchased holds an edge better than Case Tru-Sharp. It's about equal to 440A in composition and at least the equal of the US-Schrade 440A in performance.

There's the same shield on the glow-in-the-night liner lock sodbuster jr.
(I share your opinion about barlows and shields. Prefer adorned bolsters).

RR1427.jpg

Aha! Mine arrived today after a long slog at work, dark nearly all the time now and getting worse So this brightens it up a lot.:cool:

Seems a good knife and likeable, except for rather crude inletting of the shield, it's not proud or sunk, but quite a lot of scale material has been removed to inlet it leaving a 'frame' around the shield. Still, it is a tricky shape. Otherwise good and lethal sharp. I got this tiny little note with it as a reminder or memento-mori saying something like " This product contains materials known to cause birth-defects or cancer in the state of California" Bit grim, but let's hope that only happens in California! :eek::D:D

Regards, Will

Aha! Mine arrived today after a long slog at work, dark nearly all the time now and getting worse So this brightens it up a lot.:cool:

Seems a good knife and likeable, except for rather crude inletting of the shield, it's not proud or sunk, but quite a lot of scale material has been removed to inlet it leaving a 'frame' around the shield. Still, it is a tricky shape. Otherwise good and lethal sharp. I got this tiny little note with it as a reminder or memento-mori saying something like " This product contains materials known to cause birth-defects or cancer in the state of California" Bit grim, but let's hope that only happens in California! :eek::D:D

Regards, Will
Bad luck for the shield, mine does not show any flaw.
I had the note too! Living is dangerous... :D

Got 2 more RR's in today! Crazy value! These knives are worth more than they are getting-- I hope they don't read that ! 😁

Does RR make those Remington's? They look great. I absolutely love high contrast woods.
I don't know who makes the Remingtons, but thanks for the compliment. :)

Ok, I have a problem. I see a little RR or Colt that I like the looks of, then before I know it, I'm looking for every model I can find in that scale series. ...

2n07lnm.jpg
bflying, I understand your problem, since I have a somewhat similar (but maybe "opposite") problem. I fixate on a pattern/model (e.g. canoe or sowbelly stockman) and then try to get one of each of every possible handle material.

What is the knife in the upper right of this pic, on a stag pedestal? Is it some kind of carver? Who makes it? How do you like it? Thanks for any additional info you're willing to provide! :thumbup:

- GT

I don't know who makes the Remingtons, but thanks for the compliment. :)

bflying, I understand your problem, since I have a somewhat similar (but maybe "opposite") problem. I fixate on a pattern/model (e.g. canoe or sowbelly stockman) and then try to get one of each of every possible handle material.

What is the knife in the upper right of this pic, on a stag pedestal? Is it some kind of carver? Who makes it? How do you like it? Thanks for any additional info you're willing to provide! :thumbup:

- GT

The three burls (Barlow, Lockback, Carver) on the stands are made by Sarge. I call it a Whittler because that is what I use it for, but don't really know what it's official name is. Large handle with two short blades, thick and thin sheepsfoot. After I picked it up, I thought it was pretty cool, so went back to buy one for my Son, and they were gone. But I did manage to get another Barlow for my boy. Decent quality and all of them have some great Maple Burls for an inexpensive knife. Pretty sure they were under twenty bucks.

Pair the Carver up with a Barlow, and you pretty much have the perfect whittlers set-up.

Thanks for the follow-up, bflying! I thought I recognized that carver! ;)
I picked up what's apparently the same model on sale at Woodcraft one day. I hoped it would be a less expensive alternative to the Flexcut Whittlin' Jack. Haven't really used it much so far. I just checked Woodcraft's website and they have about 90 models of Sarge knives! :eek: They certainly don't carry them all in my local store! Here's a pic of my Sarge:

MF6lGL9l.jpg

- GT

Has anyone picked up one of the "Old Forge" lockbacks with copper bolsters and burl covers? I'd love to see a picture of one in person, always hard to trust the stock photos.

Has anyone picked up one of the "Old Forge" lockbacks with copper bolsters and burl covers? I'd love to see a picture of one in person, always hard to trust the stock photos.

I've almost pulled the trigger on one of those several times. I'm not really sure why I haven't, they're cheap enough.

They are nice! The lock on the larger one is a little stiffer, but really great little knives. The bolsters patina pretty quick too. Adds instant character 👍

Well, heck! My Rough Rider white bone large coke bottle has the first "serious" "defect" I've found on any of my Rough Riders. There is a small crack in the bone, at the center pin, mark side. Oh well. A little sanding on the edge, and it can't be felt. "Life" is good. The knife is a keeper. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow-up, bflying! I thought I recognized that carver! ;)
I picked up what's apparently the same model on sale at Woodcraft one day. I hoped it would be a less expensive alternative to the Flexcut Whittlin' Jack. Haven't really used it much so far. I just checked Woodcraft's website and they have about 90 models of Sarge knives! :eek: They certainly don't carry them all in my local store! Here's a pic of my Sarge:

MF6lGL9l.jpg

- GT

Ha, funny you mention the Flexcut, because I've had Carvin, Jack suspended in an online shopping cart for over a month now. I really want it, but just haven't been able to convince myself it would get the use for the price. I really need to put the Sarge Carver to work before I buy something expensive and really only good for carving.

I've honestly done more carvin' with a few Rough Riders than anything else...including many much more expensive knives that are available right in front of me. Usually grab an RR Barlow, Elephants Toenail, and a Sowbelly.

Here's the result of a lazy Sunday afternoon hanging with the Fam. Done with a couple of my RR Older Yellers.

2wogbcn.jpg

2ijgmlt.jpg

And some 1911 thin grips done mostly with the Toenail, until sanding. Still haven't finished them yet, need some stain and epoxy clear coat.

s2s3du.jpg

And something with a bit more detail, a family name wall hanging. Used the Barlow and Toenail for the roughing, but then got lazy and broke out the dremmel.

ok3pc9.jpg

Has anyone got one of the new Rough Rider "Heavy Hunter Series" fixed blades ? They look a bit like the old Rigid USA knives: built like a tank. These have wood handles as do other recently released RR fixed blades not in "H.H. Series",and a solid looking 4 1/4" LB RR1353.
These all look significantly different enough from the 'regular' RR's that i wonder if they are made by a different manufacturer ?
I have bought RR fixed blades made in both China & Pakistan. The China one is sharp and a 'good knife' like the regular RR folders are. The Pakistan FB has a much thicker blade grind and is dull.
I tried to find out where the Heavy Hunter series is made but no info yet.
I wish RR would stick with only the manufacturers that make the best knives for them, then every RR knife you see on line would be a "good knife".
kj

Back