Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

Just opened the package containing my first two Rough Riders. Small barlow and a peanut.

Now I understand the RR Fan Club!

One pin a bit proud, a small pepper spot on a backspring and a slight off-grind on a tip. Thats it for the deficiencies.

Guessing that RR is to traditional folders what Enlan and Sanrenmu are to modern folders.

Good to join the RR club. These two will be the first of many!

Just opened the package containing my first two Rough Riders. Small barlow and a peanut.

Now I understand the RR Fan Club!

One pin a bit proud, a small pepper spot on a backspring and a slight off-grind on a tip. Thats it for the deficiencies.

Guessing that RR is to traditional folders what Enlan and Sanrenmu are to modern folders.

Good to join the RR club. These two will be the first of many!

I know what you're talking about!!:)
When you see the quality that you get for the price spent you just cant stop at just one.:thumbup:

I have many RR's and many SanRenMu's. The difficult part for most of us is to realize is that quality of knife vs. amount of money paid are only loosely connected.
Paying $10 for a knife and then finding out it cuts and holds up just as well, or even better, than your $50 knife or your $100 knife and up, challenges our belief system that "you get what you pay for" which means the more you pay, the better the product you get.
I still buy custom Traditional style folders and FB's but now my rational is simply "i like how it looks" and not "it'll cut better".
kj

I got this tiny little note with it as a reminder or memento-mori saying something like " This product contains materials known to cause birth-defects or cancer in the state of California" Bit grim, but let's hope that only happens in California! :eek::D:D

Regards, Will
:thumbup: The same kind of note was included in the worksharp packaging. I'll never take it with me if I ever go in California! Meanwhile it is very practical. :D

It's a tough life but sometime simple things can make it easier... :D

RR_tomate.jpg

Last edited:
These rough riders are good little pocket knives, I have about 10 of them now, I recently received the linerlock working knife, essentially just a locking sodbuster. Great knife, tight lockup and no wiggle in any direction. My favorite from this brand is the Barlows, I carry a yellow handle one to work daily, haven't gone a day without it at work in about 2 years. This knife takes a lot of abuse and yet it has no wobble and great walk and talk. I love me some RR

Has anyone got one of the new Rough Rider "Heavy Hunter Series" fixed blades ? They look a bit like the old Rigid USA knives: built like a tank. These have wood handles as do other recently released RR fixed blades not in "H.H. Series",and a solid looking 4 1/4" LB RR1353.

kj

I don't think I have any of the newest RR fixed blades. But did buy this Colt just because of it's looks online. The burl is really good looking seeing it in person. Great contrast and it really lights up in the sunlight.

I have not given this one a real workout, so I don't know how soft the mystery steel is. But it did take a hair popping edge. My mother-in-law saw it and said she really wanted one. So I bought one for them and gave it to the father-in-law for his birthday. They have plenty of nice and expensive knives, but I think they are now intrigued by the quality of some budget blades.

4ucit3.jpg

As mentioned above, I am thoroughly impressed with my first two RRs.

Would love to hear from RR fans about their two favorites, but fear that, due to the length of this thread, the request will be "lost."

Should this be a fresh, new thread?

For me it is not possible to name "2 best" or 2 Favorites". I have at least 200 RR folders. They are so inexpensive that many people here have quite a few i am sure. There are very few RR Traditional style folders that are not worthy of being in the "best" group.
kj

I have only three RR, all sodbusters, and when I get a new one it is a sodbuster, because I want to keep my money to buy other, more expensives knives. Nevertheless I fully understand people who get a lot of RR patterns as they are really quality knives.
If I had more € I would probably do the same!

I have two RRs so answering which ones are my favorites is easy. Small Coke Bottle and Baby Copperhead, both in the amber jigged bone. Good knives that fill a size niche in my collection for when I feel like carrying a small knife just a bit larger than my Case Peanut.

What I like best about Rough Riders and other knives like them is they allow poor folks like myself to try out and enjoy many different patterns. I do not have the ability to do this with knives that are $100 or more each. I also have a thing for old used USA made knives for the same reason. If I find I really like a certain pattern I can then find and purchase a better knife knowing I'm going to like with no guess work involved.

Any opinions on the Remington peanuts? There's a black synthetic on the big river I might want to treat myself with. Been a horrid year, but a few bucks on a gift card are helpful.

Any opinions on the Remington peanuts? There's a black synthetic on the big river I might want to treat myself with. Been a horrid year, but a few bucks on a gift card are helpful.

I recently bought this Remington "Sportsman Series" peanut that I think is a great knife.

H8fwe7Sl.jpg

n2PbMvdl.jpg

jcXWtJXl.jpg

- GT

Half whittler for me. I think it should go into the small knife hall of fame!

Burnt Stag Sowbelly
RRsowbellystag_zpsx51slwq3.jpg~original

Burnt Stag Medium Stockman
RRstagOpen_zpsqxf2vwo1.jpg~original

These are older knives from around 2006, and I haven't seen any true stag offerings recently. Of the ones currently available, the Armor Hide bone and the Brown Sawcut bone are my favorite series.

Brown Sawcut Folding Hunter
bigun.jpg~original

Armor Hide Stockman
ArmorHideOpen_zps3vz8l6p9.jpg~original

A gift from a member here when I commented that I didn't know enough about Rough Riders or Sunfish/Elephants Toenail to say whether it was a good Company or pattern. I got this a week or so later. :) In conclusion I kike both, the Sunfish reminds me of my Schrade Old Timer 51OT.

cGoxEUY.jpg

803_24421_1268607896_1.jpg

...Would love to hear from RR fans about their two favorites, ...

Burnt Stag Sowbelly
RRsowbellystag_zpsx51slwq3.jpg~original

Burnt Stag Medium Stockman
RRstagOpen_zpsqxf2vwo1.jpg~original

Is it "kosher" to say that my two favorite Rough Riders are Jeff's stag sowbelly and stag medium stockman?? :confused::p
Holy rhinoceros rhinoplasty, those are amazing RRs, Jeff!! :thumbup::eek::thumbup:

If my favorites have to be knives I actually own, I'll go with my own sowbelly in amber jigged bone and a stag canoe:
XYJk3Wcl.jpg

l3lYZbHl.jpg

- GT

GT, the stag canoe looks like primitive bone from GEC! I love that weathered look. The medium stockman in stag has the lowest riding blades of any two-blade knife I've seen, much less a three-blade. It really is something special, just disappears in your pocket, yet all that cutting power, and nice stag, too.

RRstagComp_zpsbnzygmuy.jpg~original

Back