Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me my new Marbles ram's horn sowbelly stockman (boy that's a lot of animals on one knife). I've wanted a Case of that model for a bit but at the price of the Marbles and the somewhat exotic handle material I had to pull the trigger. Who knows, maybe it'll scratch that itch.

And now I'm back to wanting a Zombie Nick sunfish!
:D
Every so often a knife drops off my radar but this forum always makes sure to put it back up for me, along with a few friends :rolleyes:.

Nice pictures you two. I aspire to be able to pull that off with my phone someday.

I like my toe - use it pretty heavy at work, put a couple chips in the edge but otherwise love it so much I have a smooth bone in box and a scrimshawed on order. Pull the trigger.

I picked this Dogleg Jack out of the mrknife's passaround giveaway. View attachment 755094 I chose it partly because it's just so unusual. o_O
I already had a Dogbone Jack, which is pretty interesting, too.
View attachment 755095
My dogbone jack has awful rub, to the point of chipping the edge at impact point. It's my first RR disappointment

I like the look of that leg jack - love it if it were a lock back whittler instead.

Last edited:
I thought I'd look over Rough Riders since I haven't in a while and thought about taking one on my upcoming Alaska trip. Whoa! They have way more available now. Great stuff. Difficult to choose.

afishhunter afishhunter Shoot an email my way, please.

I've got a Sarge BSA Barlow that appears to have your name on it.

Well, the Sarge arrived at the Post Office today. :)
To say the least, I am impressed.
I was not expecting half-stops, and it is even prettier in person.
I promised Shawn (Wurrwulf) I'd tell y'all about it.
Both blades are sharp out of the box, and are well centered. The grinds appear even.
There is no blade wobble. After a drop er two of oil on the joints, (I always oil the joints when I get a knife ... whether they need it or not. :) ) both blades have a pull of 5.
The springs are a touch proud in the half-stop position, (big deal, I don't normally use the blade at half stop) and are flush in both the open and closed positions. Excellent "Walk and Talk" for both blades.
Fit and finish is superb. No noticable gaps anywhere. All the pins are flush.
The wood covers have a nice hand rubbed finish.
The knife is very solid feeling in hand.
I believe it is going to see a lot of pocket time. :)

Thank you again, Shawn, for your generosity. :)

Edit: 5K Qs posted a picture of his Sarge Barlow, on page 201, post number 4015, if anyone wants to see what they look like. :)

Last edited:
"Life" is good for a Wednesday.
Not only did the Sarge Barlow arrive today, but the Rite Edge Barlow was delivered to the shop!
So far, the Rite Edge seems like a good knife.
I like the "Pen" blade on this one. It is profiled pretty much like a Wharncliff, as opposed to a mini-spear point. :)
Sharp out of the box, no blade rub, no gaps worth mentioning.
The covers were a little drab, but a bit of oilve oil rubbed in, and the grain looks good.

If 5K Qs does not mind my mentioning it, he posted a picture of his Rite Edge Barlow on page 201, post number 4015 of this thread.

Last edited:
Well, I finally had my first dud.

I picked up a Marbles Ram Horn sowbelly and the scales have gaps, liners have gaps and actually appear to be bent. I'm thinking that maybe the scales pulled the lines outward until the glue gave way maybe.

I'm trying to see if the next one can be inspected first.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Well, I finally had my first dud.

I picked up a Marbles Ram Horn sowbelly and the scales have gaps, liners have gaps and actually appear to be bent. I'm thinking that maybe the scales pulled the lines outward until the glue gave way maybe.

I'm trying to see if the next one can be inspected first.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Sorry to hear you got a dud. :(
I hope the replacement they send is up to Marbles' normal "near perfect" standard.

If it was only one or the other I'd let it go but two gaps in thebliners that I can read through plus two even larger gaps on the scales. Plus the vendor wouldn't assure me that they would take it back.
I'm checking a couple more places since I'd like a good one.

Attachments

• tmp_14796-2017-09-10 17.40.441685618846.jpg
    tmp_14796-2017-09-10 17.40.441685618846.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 34
  • tmp_14796-2017-09-10 17.37.12-441158283.jpg
    tmp_14796-2017-09-10 17.37.12-441158283.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 35
Neko2 Neko2 That is worse than the gaps on my clamshell Imperial (Ireland) Jackmaster Barlow.
Have you contacted the ... "Rough Rider Store" ... about it? Marbles is one of their brands. Even if you did not buy it directly from them, they would probably stand behind it.
I think if it was me, I'd give them a call, and see what they can do to help.
Maybe they'll exchange it for one that is not messed up?

Sorry you got a dud. I have the same knife and no issues at all. As was stated SMKW now owns the Marbles brand and makes them in the RR factory. I have been to the store many times( may go tomorrow ) and in conversations with sales people, they state they as do RR have a lifetime warranty so I think they would replace your knife with no trouble.

Marble's G10 electrician. This one took a little bit of massage. When it arrived, the point of the spear was proud of the handle. About 3/4 of the screwdriver blade stuck out, too. The steel resisted my attempts to file the kicks, so I handed the knife off to a friend of my son's who has some metal-working skills, as well as a better selection of tools. He was able to tuck both blades into the handle a bit better.

This knife is pretty thick and hefty compared to my other TL29s. I love the feel of the G10, which is what drew my attention in the first place. For the most part, it seems pretty well put together. With a little use, the textured salmon orange handles should acquire a tired and grubby look, which offsets in part that the stainless blade will not take a patina. I can really see this one rolling around in the bottom of a tool pouch, smeared with greasy thumbprints.

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG IMG_0775.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry you got a dud. I have the same knife and no issues at all. As was stated SMKW now owns the Marbles brand and makes them in the RR factory. I have been to the store many times( may go tomorrow ) and in conversations with sales people, they state they as do RR have a lifetime warranty so I think they would replace your knife with no trouble.

SMKW offered an exchange no problem but I also received a refund while being able to keep the knife so I might just flat buy another and give this one a shot of epoxy and a trip to the vice.

Haven't been keeping an eye on RR lately but this "tailgate trapper" has my attention!

RR_Tailgate_Trapper_Header.jpg

Ive posted it elsewhere but on our annual trip to the big chain knife store in East TN I set out to find, purchase and try out a RR knife. Mostly because they are cheap and the many good reviews on this thread. I left with this little guy and a Coal Miner with single locking blade. Ill take pics of the coal miner later, its about the size of a GEC 77 and other than the blade not being centered when closed, it locks up tight and looks to be a good user/abuser. I also picked this little guy up while out there. I wanted to try out a smaller knife to see what I was missing out on and this one caught my eye.

IMG_20170912_130000.jpg
With a little sharpening its been a surprisingly nice addition to the fleet! I look forward to buying more cheapo RR's in the future, especially if they hold up as well as this little guy has so far! Look forward to seeing how it fares along the way.

Matt

Back