Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Just picked up a handful of rough riders. Thought I might share a few observations. All except for the small barlow have the brown jigged bone covers. None have half-stops. The 201 deluxe barlow and the 533 camp knife are my favorites. I'd say they are on par with the newer Case knives i have owned, maybe better in some aspects. Centering is spot on on the delux barlow and action is really nice. No blade play, and all the blades shave hair. The 106 Whittler is a little rough around the edges, but not bad. There is some blade play, centering is off but not rubbing, and the liners have gaps on the ends of the knife. Still worth the $10 it cost IMO. The 195 small stockman had the worst f&f. One of the back springs sticks up a lot when the blades are all closed. Though, it is flush if the main clip is open. The pull is very lite on the smaller knives. It is strong on the camp knife but not a nail breaker.

View attachment 753955

Some good looking knives there.
I'm still debating on pulling the trigger on their camp knife. I'll probably buy one in the next couple months. :)
I'm curious how they compare to the old "Demo" knife and Ulster (round shield) Boy Scout knife. I know the RR has an older can opener design, and it looks like the awl/punch is different.

These are in fact perhaps my favorite Chinese import Barlows, their utilitarian no frills take on the pattern much more in line with what the pattern was for most of its history. I originally purchased one as a beater/loaner knife, but discovered quickly that it performed well beyond its price point. Steel bolsters and liners, natural rosewood handles (often with a bit of figure to them), sunk joints, well centered blades on a nice large pivot pin, with nice walk and talk. Nothing fancy for looks, but they sure like to work all day long.

Well ... Thanks in part to your review, I just ordered one. :)
It was a tough call between the Rite Edge and Sarge though. I'll get the Sarge next month. :)

Well ... Thanks in part to your review, I just ordered one. :)
It was a tough call between the Rite Edge and Sarge though. I'll get the Sarge next month. :)
The Rite Edge is a bit wider than most in the grip, which I like, but may not be to everyone's taste. Easy to modify with a little sanding. It will be interesting if you eventually do get both to do a comparison, as they seem pretty similar.

I'm still debating on pulling the trigger on their camp knife. I'll probably buy one in the next couple months. :)
I'm curious how they compare to the old "Demo" knife and Ulster (round shield) Boy Scout knife. I know the RR has an older can opener design, and it looks like the awl/punch is different.
If you are looking for a scout/demo tool knife as a user, consider getting the current Colonial 2205. The RR punch is a bit on the thin side, and the can opener is pretty tricky to use (on my example both of the springs are on the weak side). The Colonial has a shorter screwdriver/caplifter than the Demo tool did, and the handles are beveled (which makes it a lot more comfortable IMHO).

Here are three Chinese Barlows, so they are probably supposed to go into the Rough Rider thread/ghetto. :D
Marbles ram's horn Barlow (I have several Marbles ram's horn knives, and the covers are done very well, I think):
UCZWCR2.jpg

rMFnIel.jpg

Sarge BSA Barlow in 440C:
bB8m6ox.jpg

iAnkdTE.jpg

Rite Edge Barlow with lanyard tube:
md6OGQk.jpg

Q8QTywl.jpg

- GT

I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me my new Marbles ram's horn sowbelly stockman (boy that's a lot of animals on one knife). I've wanted a Case of that model for a bit but at the price of the Marbles and the somewhat exotic handle material I had to pull the trigger. Who knows, maybe it'll scratch that itch.

With the move to the new house, still settling in and fixing those things that need immediate attention, has drawn all my discretionary funds so low, that I looked to the Rough Rider brand to help ease the pain of not being able to afford a 'better' class of knife :) which is all very subjective to begin with, but that we will leave for future commentary ;)

Suffice to say the Rough Riders that I had previously were pretty well made and while not the latest greatest steel, still took a decent edge. This one is keeping that same trend alive.

Alive...that's an odd way of putting it, considering this is from the infamous Zombie Nick line of Rough Rider folders, the RR1455, Elephants toenail/Sunfish pattern folder.

Both blades have good snap to them, pull is decent, no nail breakers and no weak knees either, just as you'd like from a folder. Neither blade has any play at all, quite solid when open, each blade has it's own spring but still keeps it fairly thin.

Closed it is about 4" long, and about .4" thick but at the widest point is 1 1/2" wide so it fills the pocket/hand pretty well.
Main blade can be pinched open, but they do provide a nice match strike nail nick as well, it measures about 2.7" long and a hair over 1" wide and ground down pretty nice to a thin edge.
Smaller blade at about 2.1" long and about .7" wide, it is also ground down fairly thin as well, but I'd say the larger blade is a tad thinner edged between the two of them.

It has on the back of the main blade the mysterious 440 Razor Sharp steel notation, no letter designation but guessing that it is not 440c :)

Both blades arrived sharp, sharper than some other brands that cost multiples more than this one, but not shaving sharp, that came later and both sport that edge now.

I've always liked the looks of the Elephant toenail/Sunfish pattern but hadn't plunk down the coin for one. This one caught my eye, as did the less than $15 price tag, plus the oddity of being a Zombie Nick model made it just odd enough that folks at work will smile before being worried, fingers crossed.

The box has Zombie Nick and his smiling mug on the top with some blood spatter ink along the outer edges as well as the sides, so take care opening the box!

I'd recommend this one, at least this example I have, as a pretty solid folder to do those chores that you'd typically pass on to your friendly neighbor hood zombie...Here's some images of the knife;

IMG_1524 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1520 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

on the one side of the small blade, they do recommend this sound reasoning...

IMG_1521 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and I was able to get a zombie to pose holding this, but that seemed risky so I took the shot and knife and zipped back into the house as quick as I could, they smile a lot and can seem friendly, but I just don't trust them! ;)

IMG_1519_ by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

And even as large as it is, it does fit into my watch pocket, fills it up, but it does fit!
G2

And now I'm back to wanting a Zombie Nick sunfish!
:D
Every so often a knife drops off my radar but this forum always makes sure to put it back up for me, along with a few friends :rolleyes:.

Nice pictures you two. I aspire to be able to pull that off with my phone someday.

They're going to end up writing a book "expose" of the one off China production barlow that GEC made and the industry wide cover up that went along with it.:D

Neko best post of the week I'm still laughing.
5190.gif

I picked this Dogleg Jack out of the mrknife's passaround giveaway. rr Dogleg Jack.jpg I chose it partly because it's just so unusual. o_O
I already had a Dogbone Jack, which is pretty interesting, too.
rr dogbone jack 1.jpg

I picked this Dogleg Jack out of the mrknife's passaround giveaway. View attachment 755094 I chose it partly because it's just so unusual. o_O
I already had a Dogbone Jack, which is pretty interesting, too.
View attachment 755095

Cool! I put that one in there. I picked it up a few years ago and it's such an odd duck I got two. I figured someone else would enjoy the quirkiness so it went into the box. It's got a very thin stock main blade so it should be slicey as all heck!

Cool! I put that one in there. I picked it up a few years ago and it's such an odd duck I got two. I figured someone else would enjoy the quirkiness so it went into the box. It's got a very thin stock main blade so it should be slicey as all heck!
Cool! I lost track of who put what in. It's quirky alright, but should be a good slicer indeed. The pocket clip sheath is pretty cool, too. I'll probably take the bead off the fob - it seems to just get in the way.

Cool! I lost track of who put what in. It's quirky alright, but should be a good slicer indeed. The pocket clip sheath is pretty cool, too. I'll probably take the bead off the fob - it seems to just get in the way.

Don't worry, the lanyard will let the bead loose on its own if you let it. It's not that durable of a lanyard. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back