Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Here's a white smooth bone RR canoe that r8shell r8shell enhanced for me with her artistic talent! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
She scrimmed a geometric design on the pile side in the manner of Native American canoe decoration:
View attachment 1157637

On the mark side, she created a scene that incorporates a number of elements that remind me of the Les Cheneaux Islands in Lake Huron where my family has gone for vacation for almost 30 years: wooded islands across the "channel", herons resting and fishing, a canoe paddling by. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Those of you who have seen the blade etch on some Case canoes may find the canoe and paddler in Rachel's scrimshaw quite familiar (and the design on his canoe matches the design on the pile side of my knife)!
View attachment 1157638

Thanks so much, Rachel, for doing this piece of nostalgic scrimshaw for me!! :):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT
I'm so glad you like it - and that you noticed the design on the tiny canoe (your eyes must be doing well these days :):thumbsup:) I like to see how fine I can get the detail, and it amuses me to add something that might be too small to be noticed at first look. :p

Wow, great work r8shell r8shell !:cool::thumbsup:
Wow:eek: that's fantastic! Very cool, nice touch the canoe pattern matches the pile side pattern. Amazing job r8shell r8shell :thumbsup::thumbsup: May I ask what you use as a scribe? I have a RR daddy barlow I want to try something on
Thanks!
I use a scribe from an old drafting kit, but anything with a sharp point will work. It just has to scratch the surface enough to hold ink. You can use a sewing needle. I also use those, held by a pin vise for easier handling. :thumbsup: I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

My first RR. For $10, this little peanut has impressed the heck out of me.

XEc2_tJI_yjEArGTJy_lX90AyjhI89Ix7dNpDOSvKlIkG96xzHkDYEPBQeqnffveaqC3n-rlL0lqpVAmF8bfsF7GNKU719vrN3nTdNSe85hIbUVf86YgGLKFtcApTCvsIxrxs2WdpYXikfUfRB-h764SendzTYLl0OAOBXwfI8oHfPYvmADyd7lrA7jeJ3bG1Jum0ui7TRqFgxk2U0GrsCjSkGnyRfwKqePyP7BZuV-nMGEw4CPlsENWheXSSQC6qhaRu69RLJ8jJ_cJ4iGH4SILEm95EmHozLUAMFB5tZ28EaoWkfAoNG_NQiS1zaGqNv7QqSZkQGZLnPDyYQM65FqVUo1yuOImgnhPaj32V1J8bHfl0Kuk8a9sDo3vk1e4lfqfwvgtTAHQnqTJQyXO8o-EhEwwKQ8gYbfMcNEwHjVV-50tE7XY6EgUdiKDUmftmIxpsVDkjfOHWDd3QSK0JSVpALR3z1i4YIzHf5VP7Zmmoe-BZDox6iCMs38k5ZUvDY5MP0AqGeYd1mJDzs1PIsrQAdKhy3as8M5kGl2avAAXCqyLR9BbCAo2GB7I8tLQFE8SFHtF3_vRYdEcxEy-1q6DvAjbhJkjUYsJHxyZwBZHYU6sZz7wgwz6UI1ZsFvhufQRbEUyZ6l-za1KPmNyMaQt-Jg7TQY=w678-h903-no

Here's a white smooth bone RR canoe that r8shell r8shell enhanced for me with her artistic talent! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
She scrimmed a geometric design on the pile side in the manner of Native American canoe decoration:
View attachment 1157637

On the mark side, she created a scene that incorporates a number of elements that remind me of the Les Cheneaux Islands in Lake Huron where my family has gone for vacation for almost 30 years: wooded islands across the "channel", herons resting and fishing, a canoe paddling by. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Those of you who have seen the blade etch on some Case canoes may find the canoe and paddler in Rachel's scrimshaw quite familiar (and the design on his canoe matches the design on the pile side of my knife)!
View attachment 1157638

Thanks so much, Rachel, for doing this piece of nostalgic scrimshaw for me!! :):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT
Too cool! Fantastic work r8shell.

View attachment 1157637

View attachment 1157638

- GT

Fabulous! Love the scene.

I just got this Rough Rider "Backwoods Bushcrafter" medium stockman. Black washed stainless blades with half stops, copper hardware, and sawcut bone scales. The pull on the secondary blades is a little light, and the dye has some light patches, but otherwise it is very nice.

94Clj61.jpg

HYuDKLH.jpg

egWMQUr.jpg

YKggoTI.jpg

4KVkndL.jpg

PtJWx4P.jpg

Here it is with my EDC
dZhgXe3.jpg

Last edited:
I just got this Rough Rider "Backwoods Bushcrafter" medium stockman. Black washed stainless blades with half stops, copper hardware, and sawcut bone scales. The pull on the secondary blades is a little light, and the dye has some light patches, but otherwise it is very nice.

94Clj61.jpg

HYuDKLH.jpg

egWMQUr.jpg

YKggoTI.jpg

4KVkndL.jpg

PtJWx4P.jpg

Here it is with my EDC
dZhgXe3.jpg
I have the same one, light pulls on mine as well. I got mine from a brick and mortar store, all of them felt the same. I love how they did the swedges on these.The copper takes on a nice patina as well:thumbsup:

I’ve been carrying my RR 4 blade stockman since I recovered it with some nice bocote I had. It’s a bit bulky but great blade combo, especially since I turned the Spey into a clamshell package opener. The fourth implement is a Caplifter. Clip main and sheepsfoot.
Thoroughly impressed with the “440 razor sharp steel”. Sharpened the poorly done factory edge once and it just won’t get dull. Still shaving sharp after weeks of use.

Interesting what you say about the edge. All mine have come sharp from the factory, just a touch up on a strop to bring them to razor sharp. And like you said, just keep their edge. Great knives full stop, but for the price, they are exceptional.

Interesting what you say about the edge. All mine have come sharp from the factory, just a touch up on a strop to bring them to razor sharp. And like you said, just keep their edge. Great knives full stop, but for the price, they are exceptional.

The main blade was sharp but somewhat uneven with an extremely coarse edge, almost like a really slight serration pattern but too inconsistent to be deliberate. Also the tip or rather the last 1/4” on the main clip point blade was terrible. The Spey was pretty dull but that didn’t matter as I completely changed it. The sheepsfoot was ok. Very impressed since however.

Just ordered my second RR. Will be a coupla weeks.Impressed with my first one, even compared to my North American stuff. Seems the NA stuff is rarer then hens teeth in Canada now, so this is how I'll roll now...

I just received a pair of knives that are in the "& Related Slipjoints" category, but I think the are very closely related. These are both Winchester brand knives, however they share many characteristics of Rough Rider knives, and I believe they are probably made by the same company.

ipXH3eL.jpg

They have excellent fit and finish.

egDHaGW.jpg

This is a nicely executed standard swell-center whittler, with the main blade resting on the two springs. The springs do not have the "split back" divider, but the secondary blades do have a brass divider between them.

FHjrgHA.jpg

This is a really nice large toothpick- 4.25 inch blade from tip to handle. Winchester "Collector's Edition." I really like this one!

8uxUIFG.jpg

Here is the whittler with my EDC (Chinese Robert Klaas). You can see the handles are a lighter color yellow which is quite nice. It has a very well executed clip blade.

OHiWMqN.jpg

Honestly I have been waiting for a Chinese version of the Case Classic large toothpick for a long time! The Winchester is stainless while I'm fairly sure the Case Classic is not. The Winchester has a half stop, while the Case Classic does not. The Winchester has a higher, hollow grind while the Case Classic has a thicker saber grind. The Winchester cost considerably less than the Case Classic. I think I like the Winchester a bit better! I will certainly use it more while the Case Classic is going to rest in my collection.

Both are very nice. There is a large Winchester "Collector's Edition" whittler that has swedges everywhere that I've been eyeballing and am even more tempted to get soon after having handled the large toothpick knife of the series.

Anyone else have a Roigh Rider with an extremely light pull? I have a plain bone Barlow and the pull on both blades is very light. It would be a perfectly serviceable knife other than the fact that it feels more like a friction folder than a slipjoint.

Anyone else have a Roigh Rider with an extremely light pull? I have a plain bone Barlow and the pull on both blades is very light. It would be a perfectly serviceable knife other than the fact that it feels more like a friction folder than a slipjoint.

Yes, I have a split back whittler like that. I have a second one in that pattern with more normal pull. I have another whittler (different pattern) with extremely heavy pull. Inconsistent pull (even among blades on the same knife) is my main complaint about RR.

Back