1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by dalee100, Sep 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Laurelbb

Laurelbb Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    those were my feelings too, really wanted it, but not willing to pay $88. even though I could have. good lesson for me to appreciate what I have.

Modoc ED likes this.
  2. I'mSoSharp

I'mSoSharp Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 8, 2011
    The only tobacco bone I have with an acorn shield, again very "mottled" but I like it.

[​IMG]

edbeau, sunknife, JohnDF and 8 others like this.
  3. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    That read kinda like a drunken bidding war. :D

JohnDF and LastRodeo like this.
  4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Here's a 5.25" Rough Rider folding hunter with yellow synthetic handles and carbon steel clip/skinner blade combo. It arrived last week, but it takes me a while to get photos ready.
    hunter.mark.2open.standing.jpg
    hunter.mark.closed.flat.jpg
    hunter.mark.closed.wrench.onback.jpg

- GT

Nixelplix, L.H.S, 22-rimfire and 12 others like this.
  5. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    By the time I got a knife with an acorn shield, the feeding frenzy had come and gone, completely under my radar. So I only got the one.

5722DC52-727F-4733-AEE6-343D7C2D668A.jpeg

6. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I love Appaloosa bone, I wouldn’t dye it.

7. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    This Sowbely with Smooth Tobacco Bone covers is the only Rough Rider I have with an Acorn Shield. I wish Rough Rider would use the Acorn Shield on more of their offerings.

[​IMG]

Nixelplix, Bloefield, WolfyW and 7 others like this.
  8. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    This thread is just making me sad lately. :( A couple of months ago we went to a big national park in Tennessee. I planned our route so that we would have a couple of hours to stop at that big knife store near there, but traffic delays on the Interstate (one lane closed for tree trimming, of all things!) left me with less than an hour to shop. I did get a couple of Case knives that I wanted and a Victorinox belt pouch, but I had no time at all to look at the Rough Riders. Based on what everyone has been showing here I'm sure I missed out on some really neat stuff. Darn...

afishhunter, Laurelbb and Modoc ED like this.
  9. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    @Ace Rimmer I-40 can be bad ...
    I was never able to stop at that store. Their parking lot wasn't/isn't big enough for my expedite box truck. :(

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  10. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    My Memorial Day spending spree included a pair of Rough Rider cotton samplers, a large model with Ram's Horn Bone covers and a small one in stag bone.
    pair.mark.Vopen.pants.jpg
    pair.pile.Vopen.pants.jpg

- GT

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Nixelplix, jblyttle, edbeau and 8 others like this.
  11. r8shell

Jan 16, 2010
    Wow, that stag bone looks more like real stag than Case's. Very nice.

12. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks, @r8shell. I like Case's bone stag, but it doesn't really look much like stag IMHO. I'm ecstatic about the way the stag bone looks on that little cotton sampler, especially compared to a RR stag bone canoe I got a couple of years ago:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a Marbles stag bone sowbelly stockman from about 3 years ago that also looks good, and quite stag-like, to me:
    [​IMG]

- GT

13. r8shell

Jan 16, 2010
    Very much so. :thumbsup: I think it could fool me if I didn't see the machine marks in the grooves.

14. Bull71

Bull71

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought I would give an update on my 3 1/2 inch split back whittler. I’ve been carrying it every day for about 5 weeks. Last week while using the short clip to cut shrink wrap off of a pallet of seed, the knife slipped out of my hand, through the crack in the tailgate, and landed on concrete. The emblem popped out of the handle and the short clip blade got slightly bent. Surprisingly I can find no cracks in the handles. I partially straightened the blade. All blades are still tight and snappy. I like it a lot.
    I picked up a classic carbon large stockman with yellow handles. No gaps, all blades have half stops. It sharpened up nicely. I will carry it for a while and give the little red whittler a break. I’m impressed with these knives. They have handled everything I’ve needed them to do.

Laurelbb, afishhunter, Dschal and 4 others like this.
  15. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    I picked up a few of the carbon steel Roper medium trappers and stockmen at Blade. I'm impressed with the build quality, walk and talk and out of the box edges on these imported, value priced slipjoints.
    IMG_0032_edited.jpg

Nixelplix, Jolipapa, edbeau and 5 others like this.
  16. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    Couple more Cotton Samplers as my large came in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Pay attention to their store hours as they change seasonally... shorter hours during the winter months. I have arrived there more than once only to discover they would be closing in 30 minutes. I'm about due another visit. I honestly "hate" ;) to visit the store as I always blow a fair amount of money. However, all of my RR's came from there except one at a show. It has only been the last couple of years that I have actually spent time at their RR display area. Almost all of my SAKs came from there as they carry what amounts to all the factory offerings. You pay a dollar or two more, but worth it to me to actually handle stuff there. I didn't stop at their booth at Blade since I visit the store a couple times a year.

18. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Here's a white smooth bone RR canoe that @r8shell enhanced for me with her artistic talent! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
    She scrimmed a geometric design on the pile side in the manner of Native American canoe decoration:
    pile.chair.jpg

On the mark side, she created a scene that incorporates a number of elements that remind me of the Les Cheneaux Islands in Lake Huron where my family has gone for vacation for almost 30 years: wooded islands across the "channel", herons resting and fishing, a canoe paddling by. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Those of you who have seen the blade etch on some Case canoes may find the canoe and paddler in Rachel's scrimshaw quite familiar (and the design on his canoe matches the design on the pile side of my knife)!
    mark.chair.jpg

Thanks so much, Rachel, for doing this piece of nostalgic scrimshaw for me!! :):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

19. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Wow:eek: that's fantastic! Very cool, nice touch the canoe pattern matches the pile side pattern. Amazing job @r8shell :thumbsup::thumbsup: May I ask what you use as a scribe? I have a RR daddy barlow I want to try something on

20. zolthar

zolthar Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Wow, great work @r8shell!:cool::thumbsup: