Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Two things made that knife particularly desireable - the Half Hawk blade and the Acorn shield but mostly the Acorn shield. Of course the Smooth Tobacco Bone covers were desireable too but the Acorn shield sold it. And they went fast too. It was kinda like "if you snooze you lose". I snoozed and didn't get one but wish I had and I'm still looking. At any rate, I wouldn't pay $88.00 for one.
those were my feelings too, really wanted it, but not willing to pay $88. even though I could have. good lesson for me to appreciate what I have.

The only tobacco bone I have with an acorn shield, again very "mottled" but I like it.

UbckBIf.jpg

This thread is just making me sad lately. :( A couple of months ago we went to a big national park in Tennessee. I planned our route so that we would have a couple of hours to stop at that big knife store near there, but traffic delays on the Interstate (one lane closed for tree trimming, of all things!) left me with less than an hour to shop. I did get a couple of Case knives that I wanted and a Victorinox belt pouch, but I had no time at all to look at the Rough Riders. Based on what everyone has been showing here I'm sure I missed out on some really neat stuff. Darn...

Wow, that stag bone looks more like real stag than Case's. Very nice.
Thanks, r8shell r8shell . I like Case's bone stag, but it doesn't really look much like stag IMHO. I'm ecstatic about the way the stag bone looks on that little cotton sampler, especially compared to a RR stag bone canoe I got a couple of years ago:
v4BgGeE.jpg

Here's a Marbles stag bone sowbelly stockman from about 3 years ago that also looks good, and quite stag-like, to me:
ehwYjHq.jpg

- GT

Thanks, r8shell r8shell . I like Case's bone stag, but it doesn't really look much like stag IMHO. I'm ecstatic about the way the stag bone looks on that little cotton sampler, especially compared to a RR stag bone canoe I got a couple of years ago:
v4BgGeE.jpg

Here's a Marbles stag bone sowbelly stockman from about 3 years ago that also looks good, and quite stag-like, to me:
ehwYjHq.jpg

- GT
Very much so. :thumbsup: I think it could fool me if I didn't see the machine marks in the grooves.

I thought I would give an update on my 3 1/2 inch split back whittler. I’ve been carrying it every day for about 5 weeks. Last week while using the short clip to cut shrink wrap off of a pallet of seed, the knife slipped out of my hand, through the crack in the tailgate, and landed on concrete. The emblem popped out of the handle and the short clip blade got slightly bent. Surprisingly I can find no cracks in the handles. I partially straightened the blade. All blades are still tight and snappy. I like it a lot.
I picked up a classic carbon large stockman with yellow handles. No gaps, all blades have half stops. It sharpened up nicely. I will carry it for a while and give the little red whittler a break. I’m impressed with these knives. They have handled everything I’ve needed them to do.

I picked up a few of the carbon steel Roper medium trappers and stockmen at Blade. I'm impressed with the build quality, walk and talk and out of the box edges on these imported, value priced slipjoints.
IMG_0032_edited.jpg

Pay attention to their store hours as they change seasonally... shorter hours during the winter months. I have arrived there more than once only to discover they would be closing in 30 minutes. I'm about due another visit. I honestly "hate" ;) to visit the store as I always blow a fair amount of money. However, all of my RR's came from there except one at a show. It has only been the last couple of years that I have actually spent time at their RR display area. Almost all of my SAKs came from there as they carry what amounts to all the factory offerings. You pay a dollar or two more, but worth it to me to actually handle stuff there. I didn't stop at their booth at Blade since I visit the store a couple times a year.

Here's a white smooth bone RR canoe that r8shell r8shell enhanced for me with her artistic talent! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
She scrimmed a geometric design on the pile side in the manner of Native American canoe decoration:
pile.chair.jpg

On the mark side, she created a scene that incorporates a number of elements that remind me of the Les Cheneaux Islands in Lake Huron where my family has gone for vacation for almost 30 years: wooded islands across the "channel", herons resting and fishing, a canoe paddling by. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Those of you who have seen the blade etch on some Case canoes may find the canoe and paddler in Rachel's scrimshaw quite familiar (and the design on his canoe matches the design on the pile side of my knife)!
mark.chair.jpg

Thanks so much, Rachel, for doing this piece of nostalgic scrimshaw for me!! :):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Here's a white smooth bone RR canoe that r8shell r8shell enhanced for me with her artistic talent! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
She scrimmed a geometric design on the pile side in the manner of Native American canoe decoration:
View attachment 1157637

On the mark side, she created a scene that incorporates a number of elements that remind me of the Les Cheneaux Islands in Lake Huron where my family has gone for vacation for almost 30 years: wooded islands across the "channel", herons resting and fishing, a canoe paddling by. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Those of you who have seen the blade etch on some Case canoes may find the canoe and paddler in Rachel's scrimshaw quite familiar (and the design on his canoe matches the design on the pile side of my knife)!
View attachment 1157638

Thanks so much, Rachel, for doing this piece of nostalgic scrimshaw for me!! :):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT
Wow:eek: that's fantastic! Very cool, nice touch the canoe pattern matches the pile side pattern. Amazing job r8shell r8shell :thumbsup::thumbsup: May I ask what you use as a scribe? I have a RR daddy barlow I want to try something on

View attachment 1157637

View attachment 1157638

- GT
Wow, great work r8shell r8shell !:cool::thumbsup:

Back