1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by dalee100, Sep 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    "Most unusual, Captain ..." (Spock)
    I've had just the opposite experiance. I've found the RR to have very consistent pulls from knife to knife and blade to blade on the same knife.
    The one exception was a Baby Sunfish/Elephant Toenail. The main blade had a "5" pull, the secondary was between a "19" and "20". It was near impossible to open, even with pliers. I traded that RR off, and decided not to get another baby Sunfish -- ever.
    The three RR large Sunfish I have all have a "5" pull on both blades.

Will Power and Ace Rimmer like this.
  2. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    "Fascinating ..." (Spock) :rolleyes:

I guess I need to increase my sample size in order to investigate this phenomenon more thoroughly. ;)

3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Just received the Wharncliffe Work Knife...
    Fit and Finish is decent enough. There is a very minor gap between liner and bolster, the pins are a little proud, and the blade favors the pile side but doesn't rub. The knife is super dirty but extremely sharp. 5.5 on the pull, decent Walk n Talk, and no blade wobble. Overall, I'd say it's worth every penny I paid for it. ;):thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    cchu518, Jody744, Half/Stop and 11 others like this.
  4. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I did find what I (personally) believe to be a flaw...
    The blade tang rides above the spring in the open position.
    Okay... Maybe not a flaw but not something to be proud of. o_O
    [​IMG]

Gevonovich likes this.
  5. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    That's a sunk-spring on open:eek: Don't like that on any knife whatever the cost as it can impact on the handling and feel of the knife:thumbsdown: The pattern does interest me though, how large is it? What are those scales? Composite wood?

Thanks, Will

JohnDF likes this.
  6. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    It reminds me a lot of the GEC Viper in size and looks, but I don't have one any more for a picture comparison. It is quite a bit thicker than the Viper though, feels more like a Bullnose in-hand. It's a solid feeling knife for sure, the Fit and Finish just isn't great. The handles are a smooth Black Micarta.

Will Power likes this.
  7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    OK that's interesting. I got an RR lock back some years back that was bareheaded, Copperlock bolster & some kind of faux wood, could have been good enough but the finish was pretty poor. I think they can and do make a very good smaller Traditional but bigger stuff seems not quite right.

JohnDF likes this.
  8. Nixelplix

Nixelplix

Mar 26, 2003
  9. chuckgp

chuckgp Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Just got my Swayback Ja...er, work knife.
    F&F very good, spring is flush at half and open. Walks and talks about as loud as any of my other 'loud quackers'. Very sharp.
    Only flaw is some grind marks before the swedge and coming out of the nail nick, maybe the mill was jumpy.
    Really impressed so far.

Got a pic of it with my Northwoods Broadway Jack for comparison

Attached Files:

10. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    How well does your tang meet your backspring?

11. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I got mine today. It is flush with the backspring. I didn't get alot of time to inspect it thoroughly, but I didn't see any glaring flaws. I will do a side by side with a Viper tonight.

JohnDF likes this.
  12. chuckgp

chuckgp Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Absolutely smooth and flush - not like in the pic you posted

JohnDF likes this.
  13. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    My latest RR is a RR1584 Copper with stone washed blades full sized Trapper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Got one on the way.

If it manages to open and close well, I'd say I've gotten my moneys worth.

JohnDF likes this.
  15. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Fit and finish is very good. It’s a dead ringer for the #47, maybe too close for comfort. I’m always going to be honest in my assessments though, the walk and talk is on par with the Northfield.

94585418-AEF3-4137-831C-146170FFD422.jpeg

16. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Sounds like I might have gotten the dud of the bunch, which is pretty much my track record with Rough Ryder knives. It's not really that bad, but nowhere near the quality of Case and a long ways from GEC. But for $20, I really can't complain much. It'll get used. ;)

17. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    o_O Hmmm that one is getting to close for comfort :eek: at least looks wise.

LastRodeo likes this.
  18. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Got this moose for me[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This one for my best friend
    Everything is really good on these,I especially like the redbone. Pics don't do it justice imo.

19. solphilos

solphilos Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Wow, that's a nice looking knife, it's amazing what a normal nail nick can do for this brand. It certainly looks identical in almost every respect, even the swedges match up. I agree, a little close for comfort...o_O

20. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    This RR526 in sawcut bone looks a lot like that Winchester. The spring is flush when open, but rides a little low when closed. I like the bone, but find the scalloped bolsters a little gaudy. No half stops, full flat grind.

972FC0D9-9729-49E6-820A-C51956D443E4.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019