Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Inconsistent pull (even among blades on the same knife) is my main complaint about RR.
"Most unusual, Captain ..." (Spock)
I've had just the opposite experiance. I've found the RR to have very consistent pulls from knife to knife and blade to blade on the same knife.
The one exception was a Baby Sunfish/Elephant Toenail. The main blade had a "5" pull, the secondary was between a "19" and "20". It was near impossible to open, even with pliers. I traded that RR off, and decided not to get another baby Sunfish -- ever.
The three RR large Sunfish I have all have a "5" pull on both blades.

Just received the Wharncliffe Work Knife...
Fit and Finish is decent enough. There is a very minor gap between liner and bolster, the pins are a little proud, and the blade favors the pile side but doesn't rub. The knife is super dirty but extremely sharp. 5.5 on the pull, decent Walk n Talk, and no blade wobble. Overall, I'd say it's worth every penny I paid for it. ;):thumbsup:

Last edited:
I did find what I (personally) believe to be a flaw...
The blade tang rides above the spring in the open position.
Okay... Maybe not a flaw but not something to be proud of. o_O

That's a sunk-spring on open:eek: Don't like that on any knife whatever the cost as it can impact on the handling and feel of the knife:thumbsdown: The pattern does interest me though, how large is it? What are those scales? Composite wood?

Thanks, Will

That's a sunk-spring on open:eek: Don't like that on any knife whatever the cost as it can impact on the handling and feel of the knife:thumbsdown: The pattern does interest me though, how large is it? What are those scales? Composite wood?

Thanks, Will
It reminds me a lot of the GEC Viper in size and looks, but I don't have one any more for a picture comparison. It is quite a bit thicker than the Viper though, feels more like a Bullnose in-hand. It's a solid feeling knife for sure, the Fit and Finish just isn't great. The handles are a smooth Black Micarta.

OK that's interesting. I got an RR lock back some years back that was bareheaded, Copperlock bolster & some kind of faux wood, could have been good enough but the finish was pretty poor. I think they can and do make a very good smaller Traditional but bigger stuff seems not quite right.

zwMuPOB.jpg

Just got my Swayback Ja...er, work knife.
F&F very good, spring is flush at half and open. Walks and talks about as loud as any of my other 'loud quackers'. Very sharp.
Only flaw is some grind marks before the swedge and coming out of the nail nick, maybe the mill was jumpy.
Really impressed so far.

Got a pic of it with my Northwoods Broadway Jack for comparison

Attachments

• RRSways.jpg
    RRSways.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 34
Just got my Swayback Ja...er, work knife.
F&F very good, spring is flush at half and open. Walks and talks about as loud as any of my other 'loud quackers'. Very sharp.
Only flaw is some grind marks before the swedge and coming out of the nail nick, maybe the mill was jumpy.
Really impressed so far.

Got a pic of it with my Northwoods Broadway Jack for comparison
How well does your tang meet your backspring?

I got mine today. It is flush with the backspring. I didn't get alot of time to inspect it thoroughly, but I didn't see any glaring flaws. I will do a side by side with a Viper tonight.

Got one on the way.

Just received the Wharncliffe Work Knife...
Fit and Finish is decent enough. There is a very minor gap between liner and bolster, the pins are a little proud, and the blade favors the pile side but doesn't rub. The knife is super dirty but extremely sharp. 5.5 on the pull, decent Walk n Talk, and no blade wobble. Overall, I'd say it's worth every penny I paid for it. ;):thumbsup:

If it manages to open and close well, I'd say I've gotten my moneys worth.

Sounds like I might have gotten the dud of the bunch, which is pretty much my track record with Rough Ryder knives. It's not really that bad, but nowhere near the quality of Case and a long ways from GEC. But for $20, I really can't complain much. It'll get used. ;)

Fit and finish is very good. It’s a dead ringer for the #47, maybe too close for comfort. I’m always going to be honest in my assessments though, the walk and talk is on par with the Northfield.

View attachment 1180527
Wow, that's a nice looking knife, it's amazing what a normal nail nick can do for this brand. It certainly looks identical in almost every respect, even the swedges match up. I agree, a little close for comfort...o_O

I just received a pair of knives that are in the "& Related Slipjoints" category, but I think the are very closely related. These are both Winchester brand knives, however they share many characteristics of Rough Rider knives, and I believe they are probably made by the same company.

ipXH3eL.jpg

They have excellent fit and finish.

egDHaGW.jpg

This is a nicely executed standard swell-center whittler, with the main blade resting on the two springs. The springs do not have the "split back" divider, but the secondary blades do have a brass divider between them.

FHjrgHA.jpg

This is a really nice large toothpick- 4.25 inch blade from tip to handle. Winchester "Collector's Edition." I really like this one!

8uxUIFG.jpg

Here is the whittler with my EDC (Chinese Robert Klaas). You can see the handles are a lighter color yellow which is quite nice. It has a very well executed clip blade.

OHiWMqN.jpg

Honestly I have been waiting for a Chinese version of the Case Classic large toothpick for a long time! The Winchester is stainless while I'm fairly sure the Case Classic is not. The Winchester has a half stop, while the Case Classic does not. The Winchester has a higher, hollow grind while the Case Classic has a thicker saber grind. The Winchester cost considerably less than the Case Classic. I think I like the Winchester a bit better! I will certainly use it more while the Case Classic is going to rest in my collection.

Both are very nice. There is a large Winchester "Collector's Edition" whittler that has swedges everywhere that I've been eyeballing and am even more tempted to get soon after having handled the large toothpick knife of the series.

This RR526 in sawcut bone looks a lot like that Winchester. The spring is flush when open, but rides a little low when closed. I like the bone, but find the scalloped bolsters a little gaudy. No half stops, full flat grind.

972FC0D9-9729-49E6-820A-C51956D443E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Back