Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

seas165 seas165
I've got a few RR with half stops. Only one or two are just off in one of the three positions.
Getting the half stops right or so close it don't matter seems to be a habit of theirs.

I just checked my GEC 852211 Harness Jack.
Main blade is about .018 (same as what you used to set the points at in your car) proud at half way, flush closed, and maybe half a hair sunken when fully open.
Punch is flush closed and half way, roughly half a hair sunken fully open.

Rough Ryder RR1740 "Classic Carbon" large stockman, all three blades are maybe .018 ~ .020 proud at half stop, and flush closed and open.
(this is the "worst" of the bunch, that I have.)

Since I don't use any of the blades on any knife at half stop ... "no worries" :) A cosmetic "defect" (note quotes) at worst. The springs on all my knives without half stops stick up way more when the blades are half open.

(Sorry, I didn't/don't feel its "worth" digging out my other RR and Marbles that half stops, and check them. It really don't matter, anyway. Besides, somewhere in this thread, I gave a full review on all of them when I got them. I much dislike repeating myself .... and some might think there an echo ... :) )

Last edited:
Amazing ...
Just found a 2 day old email from BTI regarding the bail on my (BTI) Old Timer 23OT.:

"We apologize for the response time as we have been experiencing extreme delays. I have placed an order to get your replacement. Please allow 10-15 business days for processing and shipping on the order, your order number is #######. Thank you for your interest in American Outdoor Brands, if you have any further questions feel free to let me know and I would be happy to help you out."

I had given up, figuring I was S.O.L. , taking into consideration all the old Scout/Camp knives of various makers, that are missing the bail, regardless if it was riveted in place, or it was a spring wire bail.

Last edited:
I used the classic carbon Whittler last night for a few hours while watching tv with my wife and it worked great! Nice and comfortable (for a pocketknife), great sharpness, good edge holding and a fantastic build. A high quality knife by any standard. Though, I couldnt figure out if it was actually staiess for a few days since the blades didnt want to patina, and it had a scrubbed off 440 steel etching on the main blade. Its carbon though, and its really good! I only wish it had a coping blade instead of 2 pen blades. :(

CVamberbonehead CVamberbonehead
I had difficulty getting a patina going on my RR1740 Classic Carbon large stockman, too. :(
Apples, peaches, and meats didn't seem to phase it at first.
I finally tried washing/scrubbing the blade with liquid hand soap and minty toothpaste with a toothbrush to eliminate any oil/grease that may have been there from sharpening.
That seems to have done the trick. :)
After a few apples and a 0.75~1.0 hour soak in room temperature white vinegar, it has a nice patina and isn't a daRn finger print and smudge magnet anymore. :) The back springs are stainless steel though, and I think the vinegar eliminated the tarnish on the bolsters. :(

View attachment 1421488

Last edited:
CVamberbonehead CVamberbonehead
I had difficulty getting a patina going on my RR1740 Classic Carbon large stockman, too. :(
Apples, peaches, and meats didn't seem to phase it at first.
I finally tried washing/scrubbing the blade with liquid band soap and minty toothpaste on a toothbrush to eliminate any oil/grease that may have been there from sharpening.
That seems to have done the trick. :)
After a few apples and a 0.75~1.0 hour soak in room temperature white vinegar, it bas a nice patina and isn't a daRn finger print and smudge magnet anymore. :) The back springs are stainless steel though, and I think the vinegar eliminated the tarnish on the bolsters. :(

View attachment 1421488
I tried slicing an apple, and nothing happened. Then I kept trying. I stirred coffee, cut up dinner, almost gave up hope when I saw the stainless etch (you can only see it in the right light) and then eventually after constant use on everything acidic that I saw, it finally got a patina. Ive never had a knife resist patina like that, but its normal now.

I used the classic carbon Whittler last night for a few hours while watching tv with my wife and it worked great! Nice and comfortable (for a pocketknife), great sharpness, good edge holding and a fantastic build. A high quality knife by any standard. Though, I couldnt figure out if it was actually staiess for a few days since the blades didnt want to patina, and it had a scrubbed off 440 steel etching on the main blade. Its carbon though, and its really good! I only wish it had a coping blade instead of 2 pen blades. :(

It is really easy to turn one of those pen blades into a coping blade - or a small wharncliffe. A file and a sharpening stone will do it. I always modify the pen blades on these to a little clip and a small wharncliffe.

Has anyone checked out the new RR Cinnamon Bone Stag series with Damascus blades? I bought that small Toothpick, and it is near perfection. I'm wondering if it is indeed real stag; the box says "authentic stag bone". It looks like the real deal to me.

Back