Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I don’t have many canoes but the ones I have I really like and I wonder sometimes why I seem to over look the pattern.View attachment 1642573
Rough rider canoes are one of my favorite edc knives and the outdoorsman is one of the best. I have noticed that RR has a new style and an old style canoe. They are subtly different, the new ones having half stops and swedges. I personally think the old style (like yours) is better.

well daRn ... :(
Went to take some pictures today of the bolsters and shields of a few knives for that new thread. :)
The Acorn shield on my RR887 Smooth Tobacco Bone Outdoorsman series large Sunfish popped off while awaiting it's turn. Knife is only 6 or 7 years old, too. :(

Oh well. At least I found it and pressed it in for the picture. :)
Now I just gotta get some "Super Glue" to keep it there. :(
To paraphrase Julie Cesear ... "Super Glue, or a case a 24 Raman Noodels? ... That is the question ..." 🤔

On the "Plus Side", at least I know now not to put it back in my pocket until after the acorn is glued back on. :)

Rough rider canoes are one of my favorite edc knives and the outdoorsman is one of the best. I have noticed that RR has a new style and an old style canoe. They are subtly different, the new ones having half stops and swedges. I personally think the old style (like yours) is better.
They really are pretty nice, they have a very comfortable 3 finger grip. Thinking I may pick up one of the new Micarta ones with the carbon blades. I agree, a half stop seems odd on a canoe for some reason.

well daRn ... :(
Went to take some pictures today of the bolsters and shields of a few knives for that new thread. :)
The Acorn shield on my RR887 Smooth Tobacco Bone Outdoorsman series large Sunfish popped off while awaiting it's turn. Knife is only 6 or 7 years old, too. :(

Oh well. At least I found it and pressed it in for the picture. :)
Now I just gotta get some "Super Glue" to keep it there. :(
To paraphrase Julie Cesear ... "Super Glue, or a case a 24 Raman Noodels? ... That is the question ..." 🤔

On the "Plus Side", at least I know now not to put it back in my pocket until after the acorn is glued back on. :)
This is one thing I would like to see RR do differently - pin the shields. Luckily I have only had one knife pop a shield and they are easy to glue back ... if I don't lose it.

I bought this after I saw pictures of these here.
I have to say its impressive, Im going to buy another when the Copperheads are back in stock.
The cinnamon bone series RR is among the nicest looking series I have seen from them so far. The only thing that bothers me about RR 3 bladed knives is they don't seem to be able to do a very good job of fitting the three blades in the knife well. But maybe this has been improved in this series?

The cinnamon bone series RR is among the nicest looking series I have seen from them so far. The only thing that bothers me about RR 3 bladed knives is they don't seem to be able to do a very good job of fitting the three blades in the knife well. But maybe this has been improved in this series?
Left to Rght
RR630 Yellow Synthetic Series (c.2013/2014)
RR1057 Stroke Of Luck (c.2013/2014)
RR1740 Classic Carbon Series c.(2019/2020)
All three are a "medium" stockman at 4 1/4 inch closed.
(I have larger and smaller, which makes these a "medium" stockman?)
Anyway, no blade rub, none of the Spey/Budding secondaries or clip point primaries contact the liners.
View attachment 1644572
Off hand, I'd have to guess you either had/have flukes, or they've gotten better long before the cinnamon bone series. :)
oops ... almpst forgot this one. RR1419 Stoneworx (c.2014/2015). A "small" at only just 4 inches closed. :)
View attachment 1644576
Again no blade or liner rub. :)
All the blades on all four knives have a reasonable "4 ~ 4.5" pull (about the same as a Buck 301/303), good walk 'n talk, and no wigglie wobblies.

Last edited:
Rough Ryder Classic Carbon II Half Hawk

X0U2Gid.jpg

Great knife. Old pattern.

Left to Rght
RR630 Yellow Synthetic Series (c.2013/2014)
RR1057 Stroke Of Luck (c.2013/2014)
RR1740 Classic Carbon Series c.(2019/2020)
All three are a "medium" stockman at 4 1/4 inch closed.
(I have larger and smaller, which makes these a "medium" stockman?)
Anyway, no blade rub, none of the Spey/Budding secondaries or clip point primaries contact the liners.
View attachment 1644572
Off hand, I'd have to guess you either had/have flukes, or they've gotten better long before the cinnamon bone series. :)
oops ... almpst forgot this one. RR1419 Stoneworx (c.2014/2015). A "small" at only just 4 inches closed. :)
View attachment 1644576
Again no blade or liner rub. :)
All the blades on all four knives have a reasonable "4 ~ 4.5" pull (about the same as a Buck 301/303), good walk 'n talk, and no wigglie wobblies.
Thank you for showing these afishhunter. These congress much better than the ones I have seen. If memory serves, one in particular that I was referring to was one of the RR sowbellies. The way the three blades fit into the well was just awkward. So, I have yet to purchase a three blade RR. Maybe I will give it a try next.

I also purchased the RR Classic Carbon II Half Hawk back in July. Blade centering was right on, no gaps, very good fit and finish. Can pinch open or use the nick. I got this for $14 on sale over July 4 holiday. Unbelievable value for a quality product.
UOJ8N4S.jpg

ePzLjq2.jpg

I bought this after I saw pictures of these here.
I have to say its impressive, Im going to buy another when the Copperheads are back in stock.
I love those cinnamon scales! I have four, actually.

Have you noticed the scales are painted as opposed to having the color as part of the scale material? Has yours started rubbing off?

I love those cinnamon scales! I have four, actually.

Have you noticed the scales are painted as opposed to having the color as part of the scale material? Has yours started rubbing off?
Well that does not sound good, no I have not noticed but I have not carried it at all, ill have to look at it closer...

Rough Ryder Classic Carbon II Half Hawk

X0U2Gid.jpg

Great knife. Old pattern.
This is a fantastic knife. One of my favorite carries. Same as you spot on centering and overall superb build quality.

Hope this Marbles belongs in this thread. If not and a mod sees it, please delete it for me. Thanks. It’s an extremely well made and put together bone stag cattleman.View attachment 1649658View attachment 1649660View attachment 1649661View attachment 1649662
What does the show side look like when closed? The nail nick on the primary blade was completely obscured on mine. I had to put a thin piece of leather under the main blade kick to get the nick high enough to access.

Back