Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Hi Donald,

Any update on the colors rubbing off (or not)?

I am considering giving mine a bath in hot tea or coffee just to see if the handle material can be dyed as opposed to painted.

I love this knife.
No indication of colors rubbing off so far. Colors are stable.

I've been wanting one of the RR swayback whittlers but the two I looked at after closing the main blade a
couple of times the main blade would wedge the two pen blades to one sider rather than coming to rest
between the pen blades. I decided to pass.

Anyone else have a problem with this? I really like the pattern and would like to find one that was right.
Nope. The only issue is blade rub (nothing that stops functionality, just leaves marks), but that is kind of inevitable with these. My main snaps right between the two pen blades on every one that I have bought. I do think the quality is a little better on the Classic Carbon II micarta version, but maybe that's because I like the canvas micarta better. 🤷‍♂️

Nope. The only issue is blade rub (nothing that stops functionality, just leaves marks), but that is kind of inevitable with these. My main snaps right between the two pen blades on every one that I have bought. I do think the quality is a little better on the Classic Carbon II micarta version, but maybe that's because I like the canvas micarta better. 🤷‍♂️
How can this be fixed?

I am wondering more for the RR kits I am building. Sometimes I have this problem with what I make, too.

Blade rub? I suppose better krinking. 🤷‍♂️ Double/triple check alignment/fit before final assembly. 🤷‍♂️

It's just bending the blade at the tang so it fits/doesn't rub.
Ah, thanks for that. I wouldn't have guessed. So, disassemble the knife and do some very fine sanding.

On my kits, they are fine until I peen in the pins, so maybe I am misaligning the blades through that step. Hmmmm....

So, disassemble the knife and do some very fine sanding.

On my kits, they are fine until I peen in the pins, so maybe I am misaligning the blades through that step. Hmmmm....
Sanding? Krinking is bending the blade.
Perhaps the pin is bending slightly when you peen it.

The only RR knife left in my collection for now (got a Upswept trapper in the mail) and probably gonna buy a RRR Hedgehog if i can find one later.

I really love this Swayback, not as much as i like my GEC #47 but it's one of my favorite user knife!

z1oWWeO.jpg

How can this be fixed?

I am wondering more for the RR kits I am building. Sometimes I have this problem with what I make, too.
I am as far from an authority as anyone could be on the subject, so take the following with a grain of salt. I have had similar issues in the distant past. I once bought an old case stockman from ebay. The seller failed to disclose that the sheepsfoot blade would not close because of interference with the spey blade. I took a needle nose pliers and gripped the tang of the sheepsfoot and grabbed the middle of the same blade with a regular pliers and proceeded to bend the blade in the direction i needed it to go so the blade would close with no interference. The bend in the blade hopefully will occur at the base of the tang. This happened to work out perfectly with my knife. This is not for the faint of heart though, as obviously you run the great risk of snapping the blade. I would be reluctant to try this on anything valuable, but I have done something similar to a RR knife which worked out well also.

The only RR knife left in my collection for now (got a Upswept trapper in the mail) and probably gonna buy a RRR Hedgehog if i can find one later.

I really love this Swayback, not as much as i like my GEC #47 but it's one of my favorite user knife!

z1oWWeO.jpg
That’s a really clean looking RR, I really like it.

Back