Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Those Mercury Heads are really beautiful, never seen one here in Europe, sigh! Might make an interesting knife-shield even! The RR shown with them is certainly a nice pattern too.

Thanks, Will

I sent you an email

Regards,

Mark

Well, thanks to this thread I have 2 RRs (tobacco bone half hawk & locking dogleg jack) and a Colt railsplitter 175th anniversary (that I plan on removing the blade paint/etch) on the way. I guess I should be lucky I wasn't in the Queen or Case collectors thread
Hopefully I can get one of them to settle in as my travel whittler. Just starting out but I figure if I keep one on me (besides my modern folder) I'm more likely to "fill the spaces".

I'll post pics when they arrive I'd anyone is interested.

Well, thanks to this thread I have 2 RRs (tobacco bone half hawk & locking dogleg jack) and a Colt railsplitter 175th anniversary (that I plan on removing the blade paint/etch) on the way. I guess I should be lucky I wasn't in the Queen or Case collectors thread
Hopefully I can get one of them to settle in as my travel whittler. Just starting out but I figure if I keep one on me (besides my modern folder) I'm more likely to "fill the spaces".

I'll post pics when they arrive I'd anyone is interested.

Always! Post away, I would personally love to see the pics of the Colt railsplitter.

BTW, don't worry about the etch. I have the Colt teardrop jack 175th anniversary with the same etch. First, the etch isn't one of those puny little stenciled discolorations you see on some knives. The one on mine is cut nice and crisp and pretty deep. It would literally take a regrind to get the etch to go away.

Second, the gold on the band will easily wipe off. I rebeveled the main blade, and the oily rag with the swarf on it rubbed the gold right off. Now it just looks like a nice etch, and I never notice it.

Robert

I was putting together an order on the big river site and needed to add something to bump my order up into the free shipping threshold. I ultimately settled on a small barlow with smooth white bone covers. It arrived today, and I have to say that it's a classy well built little guy! I'm really impressed with how this knife looks and functions. This is not my first RR, but it is my favorite. I think I might have to order more to give away to friends. This peanut sized barlow is perfect for when you have to get all dresses up fancy like.

B07B1B3C-FA18-475D-A808-D2B91F5EC87A_zpsiudjk9oz.jpg

After reading through this thread a couple of weeks ago I decided to try out one of these cheaper options. The local Southern States had several Steel Warriors in the display, so I picked up a congress. After playing around with it for a little bit I was unimpressed and took it back. A lot of play in all 4 blades, and very un-sharp. One of the local pawn shops had a few Colts though, and after playing with it I knew that I would be happy. The springs and blades on this thing are tight, and the F&F is very nice. The blades also take, and keep, a very keen edge too.

That is a good looking knife Jonathan. I love the stag on it. :thumbup:

Correction, jigged Stag bone?

Here is a group that I recently assembled. All of them were purchased on eBay, and I believe that I paid less than $10 for each one. I must say that I am very impressed with the quality and value of these knives. I am particularly pleased with the little Dogleg Jack, which came with it's own little pocket sheath. (It would really be cool if they made the same pattern in a larger size!)

Now that's an unusual pattern. It looks really old fashioned to me. A lot of the old folders that weren't from the NE coast were of different designs than the ones we see over and over, and that looks like some kind of vintage knife.

Neat knife. How's the lockup?

Robert

Now that's an unusual pattern. It looks really old fashioned to me. A lot of the old folders that weren't from the NE coast were of different designs than the ones we see over and over, and that looks like some kind of vintage knife.

Neat knife. How's the lockup?

Robert

That's the same thing I was thinking. I was actually so intrigued that I was forced (FORCED, I TELL YOU!!) to order a couple of them for evaluation purposes.

I ordered a small RR cokebottle knife for evaluation purposes. I was so impressed, I ordered a second one to determine if they were consistently good. The second was even better than the first.

It locks up quite nicely. I like it so much that I bought a second one. I am thinking about taking one apart, scanning the parts, enlarging them, and making a bigger version of this knife.

Now that would be something to see! It looks that that could be either a really ergonomic design, or a disaster as a larger knife. I don't think you would know until you had it in your hand. I tried some of the weird looking (and very off-putting to me) Cold Steel designs in hand at a gun show a while back. They looked like pure mall ninja gear, but man were the comfortable in the hand, and no hotspots. Still couldn't get over their looks, though.

That's the same thing I was thinking. I was actually so intrigued that I was forced (FORCED, I TELL YOU!!) to order a couple of them for evaluation purposes.

I am feeling that same pressure. To me, all the traditionals are looking pretty much like all the same patterns we have seen for the last 50 years. Modern makers seem to "create" a "new" pattern by using the same blades they have used in dozens of knives by using a different combination of blades, a different case style, a different pull or nick, etc. All from existing parts and stock designs, just assembled differently and presented with a different set of scales on them. They get a new name, but in the end it's same stuff, different day.

I bought one of these for my nephew:

image borrowed from the 'net

I liked it so much, I bought myself one. I actually bought it because of the whistle, and the pocket slip case thinking it might be easier for him to carry since the overall dimension is about 3 3/4", a wide load in a 10 year old's pocket. With the knife in the slip case and the whistle hanging out, it was like having a pocket watch with the whistle as a fob. Had to get myself one immediately. No one else made this design of a "dog bone", nor did they have a exposed pin inside the bolsters to use as a lanyard. It is a really nifty, unusual knife that has proven quite useful.

It was a limited run of some sort, and they quit making it. I was sad to see it go, but... due to popular demand it came back, and now has smooth tobacco bone scales and an excellent acorn shield:

borrowed from the 'net

I only have two RR knives, but a few more choice Pacific Rim offerings that I have grown quite fond of using. After seeing the knife Chris posted (which by the way also comes as a three bladed stockman), then this acorn shielded Dog Bone, it might be time for me to dust the wallet off! I need another knife like a hole in the head, but dang it, I ain't made of stone!

Robert

The first version of the dog bone jack is still pretty widely available. I should know, since I was just, ahem, coerced into ordering one...

Just got this little guy( 5 blade peanut) a few days ago, and for a $11 I was really surprised. Sharp out of the box, all 5 blades nicely centered and great f&f.

I ordered a small RR cokebottle knife for evaluation purposes. I was so impressed, I ordered a second one to determine if they were consistently good. The second was even better than the first.

<sarcastic grumpy old man mode>So much for consistency! :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:</sarcastic grumpy old man mode>

It was a limited run of some sort, and they quit making it. I was sad to see it go, but... due to popular demand it came back, and now has smooth tobacco bone scales and an excellent acorn shield:

borrowed from the 'net

Neat knife. I bought one and was pretty impressed. I was only bummed in that it came with no sheath, contra the description. Dealer looked through all the stock and said none of them did! He very graciously sent me a duplicate knife to compensate, but boy am I still bummed to have two excellent acorn shielded Dog Bone knives with no sheaths! :(

Last edited:
Neat knife. I bought one and was pretty impressed. I was only bummed in that it came with no sheath, contra the description. Dealer looked through all the stock and said none of them did! He very graciously sent me a duplicate knife to compensate, but boy am I still bummed to have two excellent acorn shielded Dog Bone knives with no sheaths! :(

Sad that it didn't, but it is an easy carry in my jeans watch pocket as well as in a back pocket. But... they do sell that same knife WITH the sheath (and the sheath is sold separately as well) on site located somewhere in the Smokey Mountains.

Robert

Nice knives everyone. I too have some RR"s including the Sawcut and Smooth Dogbone Jacks plus this RR Whittler with an 80T and a RR Barlow with 34OT for size reference.

Last edited:
Back