Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

A gift from Parke1, (thanks Dan) a Rough Rider 118 Sunfish reminds me of the Schrade 51OT a favorite knife I carried for 20 years.

0LoThYM.jpg

Robert, excellent bone on that Congress, RR do the bone chequering really well in my experience.

I too got hold of one of the recent Colt Buckshots. This one an interesting single-blade Gunstock. The bone is good and has fine ageing potential as it's a cream colour, mine has no bald spot....Fit & finish, good no gaps play or non flush spring. Interesting having this red colour liner between the bone and brass liners, good touch. What's much less to my liking is a massively thick blade, didn't realize it was Sabre ground...be better off with one nail nick and lose the longpull.

Colt knives are well made, feel decent enough but I find them a bit King of Bling in appearance, very well worth the money but I still prefer the more sober RR approach.

Thanks, Will

IMG_2736.jpg

willgoy, I kinda got the king of bling impression from them too, but that buckshot bone is pretty spiffy. I also really like the red liner. I considered the gunstock - thinking now that might have been the way to go.

city Yes I think the bone on these knives is good quality and appealing, same for the red liners. Overall, the knife is about the right size too for pocket carry (3.5") If you don't mind a thick blade on a Trad with Sabre grind these could be a satisfying companion.

You asked about liner-locks. I have RR knives with them and find them very good, remember, that they have a strong backspring in addition to the lock, so they're secure unless you start foolish behaviour....:D:eek:

Thanks, Will

city Yes I think the bone on these knives is good quality and appealing, same for the red liners. Overall, the knife is about the right size too for pocket carry (3.5") If you don't mind a thick blade on a Trad with Sabre grind these could be a satisfying companion.

You asked about liner-locks. I have RR knives with them and find them very good, remember, that they have a strong backspring in addition to the lock, so they're secure unless you start foolish behaviour....:D:eek:

Thanks, Will

Hey thank you for that reply! I wondered if they also had the back spring or what. I really like the slim nature of a single blade so those just went to the top of my list!!

No pics yet but my Bear and Son 3" Trapper came today with the carbon blades. I'm a little but torn about it. it's not rounded the way I think a slipjoint should be. It's simple and functional right out of the box with good spring tension on both blades opening and closing. If you just wanted an American made knife that was ready to go and didn't care about the rest, this is a fine knife. On the other hand, a Case Mini Trapper (about the equivalent to this one) runs about the same money and I expect would have a better overall presentation. So I can't say it offers a great value. I kind of expected this based on what I had read but I was hopeful things had changed. I think this means I will be taking it to the sandpaper and making it my own. In fact I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Got my big honkin half hawk from RR today! Really nice, I love the tobacco bone a lot. That is my Bear & Son next to it after some significant time refinishing and grinding the handles. I gotta finish polishing it tonight, but it now feels good and I am happy with it.

roughrider_hawk by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Got my big honkin half hawk from RR today! Really nice, I love the tobacco bone a lot. That is my Bear & Son next to it after some significant time refinishing and grinding the handles. I gotta finish polishing it tonight, but it now feels good and I am happy with it.

roughrider_hawk by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Those are two really nice looking knives! I really like what you did with the Bear and Sons. Gorgeous bone. And to me, I am fearless about modifying these knives to get them where I want for comfort and fit. I wouldn't take sandpaper or a Dremel to a GEC or the like, but have no problem sitting down with a piece of sandpaper and some polish like I did on my congress I posted up a bit earlier. I have taken the tools to a couple of my less expensive knives and find it to be a pretty rewarding experience.

Good work!

Robert

Those are two really nice looking knives! I really like what you did with the Bear and Sons. Gorgeous bone. And to me, I am fearless about modifying these knives to get them where I want for comfort and fit. I wouldn't take sandpaper or a Dremel to a GEC or the like, but have no problem sitting down with a piece of sandpaper and some polish like I did on my congress I posted up a bit earlier. I have taken the tools to a couple of my less expensive knives and find it to be a pretty rewarding experience.

Good work!

Robert

Thank you! And I agree - I find it very satisfying to work on my knives and in this case I went from somewhat disappointed to sitting around fondling it.

One more of the RR. An odd thing is happening in this picture. My camera thinks the reflection in the blade is far away (or really close???) and would make it out of focus every single time. It doesn't happen on the bolsters so this is one of those brain frying moments.

roughrider_halfhawk1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

That's a sheepsfoot, not a Wharncliffe. But, I don't know what to call that pattern. (Swayback Sheep Jack?)

Every year around this time, I start looking out for the Buck gift tins at the big box stores. It's my little holiday tradition. Usually it's a couple of their Chinese made folders with some unusual covers. I just came home with this little trapper in 'burlwood'. (and a matching lockback) I don't usually care too much for trappers, but I really like the blade shapes on this little guy. It is just about the size of a Case Peanut.

Sorry for the photo quality.

My hawk. Great work knife.
62feb5c6851505b37484d4405566ee94_zpsb83851ae.jpg

I have been holding out on buying one of those because the shipping on one knife is about the price of the knife! But two RRs... well... if one more pattern shows up that I have to have I am certainly getting one of those! What a great looking and unusual (in a really good way) looking knife.

Robert

Aw man. I've had one of those half hawks on my watch list for awhile and been holding off. Keep showing those and saying good things about them and I'm going to have to move it from watch to buy.

Nice ones guys.

Do it you won't regret it but get more than one in case you get a dud. I got 2 and one came with a twisted frame so it does happen. Great work knife highly recommend this one.

Back