Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Just received a batch of RRs, a couple of days between some packages... Again, I'm glad to say I'm amazed with what I got. Very nice bone on the one's I got, blades well finished and well ground, decent to great walk & talk, F&F could be better here and there (some light that comes through the springs/liners) but nothing too major to complain much about, certainly considering the pricepoint.
I'll be taking pictures in a few days, but I'm still waiting to receive a Case Peanut which I'd like to use and compare to the RR peanut I've received. Some RRs are still getting a good soaking in black tea as well (two amber coloured ones were a bit too white-ish rather than yellow-ish near the bolsters which I didn't like too much).

The one's I got were the following patterns:
-Peanut (rr110)
-Half Hawk (rr1288)
-Small One Blade Barlow (rr740)
-Trapper (22034)
-Whittler (190)

All in jigged amber bone. Jury is still out on which one of these I like best, mostly because I've only just received them, but the Half Hawk is one beast of a knife for that $$. That's for sure.

Got these Rough Riders in the mail today. Thirty bucks goes a long way on these knives!:D
Plo8TEM.jpg

This half whittler is my current everyday favorite! I really, really like this knife.

I bought a bunch of these Rough Rider Slipjoints From (non BF dealer member) - for those in the U.K. - they have a good selection.
rrstockredjig2_zps17cde6f5.jpg

rrdoclu_zpsac355930.jpg

rrtrapbluemoon_zps504f22dc.jpg

rrgrandbarlsawbone_zpsbaa62fcc.jpg

rrlargeleg_zps3aa40f86.jpg

More than that but as you can see I've not taken my own photos for most of them.
rrnailnicktool_zps9e183dc1.jpg

Nail Nick Tool, needed on some but most are manageable.
ganzoG725M_3_zps40c6f66f.jpg

Couldn't resist slipping the Ganzo in very good quality for around $11.

My favourites are the saw-cut Granddaddy Borlow, the Pink Leg Knife, both way larger than I was expecting and the Once In A Blue Moon, also the Red Jigged Bone Stockman.
Our knife laws over here allow for the carry of 3" and under slipjoints and I've EDC'ed the ones that fit these rules. I was surprised at the quality for the price. I do buy a lot of Chinese made knives so it shouldn't have, I didn't expect the Traditional knives would be the same as the more modern looking ones.
Some people have experienced cracking as the bone dries out but in two years I've not had a problem. When I first get the knives I give them a good polishing with Renaissance Wax, the cloth pulls some of the colour out but not so you can notice on the scales. I think this seals and preserves the bone.
Any cracks that do occur can be filled with cyanoacrylate adhesive. If you are lucky and can find some bone of matching colour sand some and collect the dust then try getting as much as possible in the crack then drip some "superglue" on the dust, sealed and repaired down in one shot. The really cheap "ten for a quid" type of cyanoacrylate works really well for this, and strangely makes glow in the dark powder glow when using it to fill drilled holes in scales.

Last edited by a moderator:
The absolutely best fit & finish I have found on the knives that comes from Rough Riders "Stonworx"-series. They are together with the "arrowhead-knives" a step above the others. As an example - the liners are polished and well rounded which isn't always the case on all standard RRs.

Here is a good example. There is no gap in the back, no bladeplay and the walk and talk are decent for such a small knife. It also came really sharp which impresses me since it can be tricky to get such a thin blade sharp without damaging the heattreat.

sVALITnl

/ J

The absolutely best fit & finish I have found on the knives that comes from Rough Riders "Stonworx"-series. They are together with the "arrowhead-knives" a step above the others. As an example - the liners are polished and well rounded which isn't always the case on all standard RRs.

Here is a good example. There is no gap in the back, no bladeplay and the walk and talk are decent for such a small knife. It also came really sharp which impresses me since it can be tricky to get such a thin blade sharp without damaging the heattreat.
sVALITnl

/ J

99.999% of RRs come scary sharp. Heat treat damage??? Huhhhh

Regards

Robin

Very fine chequered bone on that Teardrop, Robin! An imposing knife with a lot of blade.

Thanks, Will

Well, another pattern from them I am not familiar with. But I am a sucker for anything that even looks like a stockman. But I have to know cityofthesouth, how comfortable is that knife in the hand when using it? Can you really grip it, or do you have to grasp it lightly due to its case shape? I would really be interested to know how it feels in hand when using the large clip blade, if you have a few minutes to respond...

Thanks-

Robert
I just recieved mine and it fits my hand perfectly. I got kind small hands with stubby short but fat sausages for fingers.

Should point out that it's my first stockman.

Last edited:
Is there a list of pattern numbers of the RR knives.
Dave
There is a whole site for it. Someone put it together on a hobby basis with reviews.
Edit: just found out I'm not allowed to post links. Google "rough rider review"

I don't know how up to date it is.

I take it rough riders are cheap Chinese clones/knock offs?

If so, i will leave these for you guys/gals;)

Try doing an out of the box cutting comparison between RR and a normal everyday Case out of the box.:rolleyes:

Regards

Robin

Just ordered a couple of colt g-10 carbon trappers. As a die hard case xx guy, I'm actually pretty excited to get to use them.

Any self proclaimed knife aficionado should at the very least handle one or two of the R&R knives and compare them against some of their favorites.

Back