Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

What Gary said.
Some of you folks should already know better.
New visitors to Traditional should please read the rules.

Posts discussing "Where to buy" have been removed.

This is not the place for political discussion.
This is not the place for the discussion of where to buy.
If you are scratching your head and wondering why I'm posting this, then you need to reacquaint yourself with the forum guidelines.

What Gary said.
Some of you folks should already know better.
New visitors to Traditional should please read the rules.

Posts discussing "Where to buy" have been removed.

Sorry about that, i will reaquaint myself with the rules. The forums i frequent typically just do not allow certain sites/links to be posted. I apologize and take full credit for my mistakes

I have a few traditional folders made by Solar in Japan in the late 1860's/early 1970's, and the quality is very good, similar to RR.

Alright, cool. I got an old frost muskrat on the cheap. I'll let you guys know what I think.

99.999% of RRs come scary sharp. Heat treat damage??? Huhhhh

Regards

Robin

Since english isn't my native tongue it might be a bit of a language barrier here? :) What I mean is that is easy to "burn" the blade if you sharpen such a thin blade on av belt. If that is the case the edge is toast. Never happened to you? I worked as a butcher for a while when I was younger and when sharpen in a hurry that can happen from time to time.

And more pictures of some of my RRs:

Rough%20Riders%201.jpg

Old picture. Now I think I might have about trippled that amount of RR

Rough%20Rider%20Stoneworx%20Muskrat.jpg

Another Stoneworx, Muskrat

Rough%20Rider%20Bark%20bone%20Gunstock.jpg

Stockman, Bark Bone Gunstock

/J

Last edited:
Since english isn't my native tongue it might be a bit of a language barrier here? :) What I mean is that is easy to "burn" the blade if you sharpen such a thin blade on av belt. If that is the case the edge is toast. Never happened to you? I worked as a butcher when for a while when I was younger and when sharpen in a hurry that can happen from time to time.

And more pictures of some of my RRs:

Rough%20Riders%201.jpg

Old picture. Now I think I might have about trippled that amount of RR

Rough%20Rider%20Stoneworx%20Muskrat.jpg

Another Stoneworx, Muskrat

Rough%20Rider%20Bark%20bone%20Gunstock.jpg

Stockman, Bark Bone Gunstock

/J

No,never happened to me, I use a bench stone for sharpening,Never use a grinder of any type.

Best regards

Robin

Yes, the Marbles from the RR factory are at least the equal of the RR branded knives. I've had several.

Large jack
IMG_0614.jpg~original

Wow... isn't that a gorgeous knife! Love the pattern, jigging and even the frosting etch on the blade as it reminds me of the Bokers I had 40 years ago. I like the equal end pattern as I don't see that much of it.

Thanks for posting that pic. I have some Christmas gift card money that needs a home, and I think I just found one for part of it!

Robert

Here's an update of my previous post... As I said, I had a few RR's coming my way, and for the occasion I decided to throw them together for some pictures.

All of 'em:

These barlows I've had for a few months now. You can tell because the bolsters have thin scratches all over them from pocket carry. The middle one is probably my most favourite. There's no real reason for it rahter than aesthetics. Notice the smaller nail nick on the bottom one. Previous run?

Here's a small one-blade barlow and a Peanut. For some reason, I really like carrying these small, unobtrusive knives. A find them very appealing.

What I didn't like too much was the rear bolster on the Peanut. The groove on one of the bolsters isn't straight, and hence not in line with the groove on the bolster of the opposite side. Not too big of a deal, but sometimes my eye just catches it and drives me a bit crazy.

Then there's this Whittler... This one really disappointed me.

Notice the holes on the bolster? I hadn't noticed these when I took it out of the box. I had it soaking in tea for a day to darken out the amber bone a bit, and I noticed this when I took it out. But all of my amber RR's got this treatment, and none had this happen to the bolsters. I wonder if I had looked over it when I took it out of the box, not sure... Anyway, I just don't get how this could happen. The knife works fine, but it's not really pleasing to pull this out of your pocket.

And to top that off, one of the smaller blades rubs against the main blade, creating a lot of scratches on both blades.

Then again, you've got these two guys, and they totally blew my mind. The bone is great, can't complain about F&F whatsoever, and they're very appealing to me. Very comfortable too. The Half Hawk has some nice half stops as well. The Trapper doesn't, but is a great blade nonetheless (good steak knife too!).

They're pretty big, compared to the Peanut :)

To conclude, here are some beauty shots...

All in all, I was very pleased with the packages I received. I already liked the Barlows I had, but was happily surprised with how well the Peanut, One blade barlow, Half Hawk and Trapper turned out. The Whittler was an obvious disappointment but oh well, guess that just happens from time to time. It didn't break the bank or anything but it does sadden me somewhat. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics!

Last edited:
I've several RR's' The bone barlow, the cut brown bone barlow, the workman (one with the pliers), the tear drop jack and a couple others. Really impressed with the quality of them. The plain bone barlow is my favorite (so far:)
Rich

Robert, if it will help, the pattern number is #MR276, hope you find one.

Thanks! I am sure that will help. RR seems to make patterns for a while, then change them up in blade combinations, scale types, etc. The only pattern that seems to be 100% available is their Barlows.

Sometimes it seems half the challenge of finding some of the patterns is knowing what to call them.

Robert

Does anyone have any experience with this one? I ordered it last week and curious if anyone else has it. It's an RR Whittler.
I took the pic off the internet.

Like I've said in another thread. I love buying American, but this was an off the cuff curiosity purchase. Really looking forward to checking it out tho.

Does anyone have any experience with this one? I ordered it last week and curious if anyone else has it. It's an RR Whittler.

Like I've said in another thread. I love buying American, but this was an off the cuff curiosity purchase. Really looking forward to checking it out tho.

Uhm, yes, pretty much 3 posts above yours :D

The swell center whittler is the only RR I won't buy anymore. Out of 100s and hundreds I have had it's the only RR that has ever broken,both times the back spring, which is WAY too thin IMO.

Best regards

Robin

Just recieved a lot of three where one was a whittler like that. Kinda weak backspring (split). Otherwise a nice knife. I really like the clip blade. It's a looker.

Back