Round up those Cattle Knives!!

Here's that D-E, Paul!! The swedge is cut in from the "peak" of the clip, as opposed to the Schrades which "roll over the peak"!!
Used very little, if at all; it still has the etch, and some patina/staining from poor storage!:mad: :D
View attachment 1280207

I think Both Charlie and Paul Sirs- that you are correct with the DE being Ulster, I am in the middle of doing a study on some knives and when comparing - There are fairly significant differences in Blade Shapes when comparing.
Here's is and Ulster built Stockman compared to a Camillus Built Cattle

The Ulster Blades are slightly larger / longer in the Spey's ( Ulster Top Knife ) and note the Camillus's Spey has a more Stubby face, Camillus did also use a Spey that looks like the Ulsters, but the Camillus "Ulster Styled" Spey doesn't quite have the "Humpback" this does and and has more of a up-swept Point to it than this Ulster above.
Edit! Perfect! see Lloyd's post below #503, and look at the other styled Spey that Camillus use.
This Sheepsfoot below tells Ulster's story every time.....

oGJcJA3.jpg

The Sheepsfoot on the Ulster (Top Knife ) as you can see on Charlie's Stunning DE, has a more of a Higher and more of a long curve from Spine to Tip, and the Camillus has a quicker more defined "Cornered" Curve from Spine to Tip....

Mt5ynjP.jpg

Charlie the Howard era'd Cattle you have just Shown is an amazing Knife! Simply spectacular!
Did you find another of your Cattle SFO's? I am always keeping an eye out for that certain individual we know ;)

Last edited:
Nice one, Lloyd!!:thumbsup:
What does the other side of the punch look like, please!!o_O

That is a Robeson punch, Lloyd!! I have seen them on a few different knives! Case for instance! Maybe they made your Cattle knife, or sold the punch to the maker?? Hmmm??!! Other details on the knife do look like Camillus!

Thank you Charlie! I really had no clue about the punch so thanks for illuminating me about it being a Robeson punch—much appreciated.

OMG Thats a stunning cattle Lloyd, I have a Camillus built Knife with that same Robeson Punch- The Knife is etched Sta-Sharp and Camillus did make all Sta-Sharp Brand named Knives for Sears that I know of, and havent seen one yet to make me think otherwise, here is my Sta-Sharp with the Robeson Styled Punch!

The Blades are most definitely Camillus, on my Cattle, the Main is different- but there are many, and your Main Blade's Swage etc match my Camillus Stockman's.
Lloyd your cattle has the same fancy Liner detail like the Sta-Sharps for Sears, ( I think Camillus rolled out the red Carpet with Sta-Sharps - extremely beautifully built imo.
That Punch must have been sold out to other firms? Oh to find that Factory bill of sale eh?
v5oWLog.jpg

That Robeson Styled punch has snuck out on quite a few different Manufactured Knives, I remember when Eric posted a stunning NYK Harness Jack with that same Robeson Styled Punch - and we all know how great NYK punches can be like- their best is Spiraled and beautiful as we know!

Just to confirm this, here is a wee Camillus HJ, but probably a Smokers Knife- Look at the Punch!! I owned this and gifted this to Charlie Noyes when he said his wife had thrown his exact one out years before.

rTfH0A3.jpg

Also the Bone and Bolsters compare nicely to yours and mine as well Lloyd!

GBuxcgG.jpg

Also I found a Sears Knife which I think is a Camillus, that has the Ulster looking Spey that your Knife does as well Lloyd, so although your Spey is different to my knife shown, I think Charlie is right in saying Camillus DNA.
If you want to compare - here is Camillus's other styled Spey Blade they use other than the "Snub nose " you see above in my other posts.

X2gsu2m.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Duncan for the good information and insight—much appreciated!! That great four blade Sta-Sharp you posted photos of certainly suggests to me that my HSB was probably Camillus made. Thanks again!

Hey there Lloyd, kind Sir.. its just comparisons - me trying to post how I think out loud - so most certainly just an observation my friend!, and certainly not setting it in Concrete that great Knife is Camillus.
I have done nothing but look and think about that lovely knife you just displayed.:thumbsup:

A quick Question here, does anyone know if other Cutler firms ever used Schrades Peach-Seed on a out-contracted knife?, we have seen Ulsters with Schrade DNA all over apart from the Tang Stamp which says Ulster - but has anyone ever seen another manufacturer dressed up in Schrades Peach-Seed clothing?
I don’t think I have at all. Just curious.

Last edited:
A quick Question here, does anyone know if other Cutler firms ever used Schrades Peach-Seed on a out-contracted knife?, we have seen Ulsters with Schrade DNA all over apart from the Tang Stamp which says Ulster - but has anyone ever seen another manufacturer dressed up in Schrades Peach-Seed clothing?
I don’t think I have at all. Just curious.

I don’t recall one Duncan, but case and remington had schrade made switches under their name. I am pretty sure rem and case used their own bone on them though.

Thanks Paul - I was just thinking that one out. :thumbsup:

Great Knives Jeff - Sears has some Whopping Knives made for them didn’t they - and your bang on with Schrade there. Im almost too scared to ask just how many Stockmans you have these days my friend :D

Back