Round up those Cattle Knives!!

Inspired by Paul's ( TheChunk91 TheChunk91 ) picture of his collection, I gathered up my similar junior Cattles for some portraits!!Top is a full group, second is the top half, and third is the bottom half.
In the second pic from the left, Schrade Walden, Schrade Walden, Diamond edge, KeenKutter and a two-blade Maher & Grosh.
In the third pic from the left, Ulster, Ulster, no tang stamps, Schrade Walden and Schrade Walden!!
Jr Cattle Comp 1.jpg Jr Cattle Comp 2.jpg Jr Cattle Comp 3.jpg

Inspired by Paul's ( TheChunk91 TheChunk91 ) picture of his collection, I gathered up my similar junior Cattles for some portraits!!Top is a full group, second is the top half, and third is the bottom half.
In the second pic from the left, Schrade Walden, Schrade Walden, Diamond edge, KeenKutter and a two-blade Maher & Grosh.
In the third pic from the left, Ulster, Ulster, no tang stamps, Schrade Walden and Schrade Walden!!
View attachment 1280094 View attachment 1280095 View attachment 1280096

Charlie, the middle knife in the bottom photo looks to have a spear instead of a clip, compared to the knives to the right. Are the other blades all the same or something different?

Charlie, would you mind showing the blades on the DE?

I noticed the swedge looks different from the others and it also has plain bolsters. I'm curious what the blade profiles are like.

Charlie, the middle knife in the bottom photo looks to have a spear instead of a clip, compared to the knives to the right. Are the other blades all the same or something different?
The blades are different, and it has a Punch! No tang mark, so it may have been a sub-contract with an etch which has gone away! Either a Schrade or an Ulster!No Stamp 1.jpg

Charlie, would you mind showing the blades on the DE?

I noticed the swedge looks different from the others and it also has plain bolsters. I'm curious what the blade profiles are like.
Here's that D-E, Paul!! The swedge is cut in from the "peak" of the clip, as opposed to the Schrades which "roll over the peak"!!
Used very little, if at all; it still has the etch, and some patina/staining from poor storage!:mad: :D
DE 1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's that D-E, Paul!! The swedge is cut in from the "peak" of the clip, as opposed to the Schrades which "roll over the peak"!!
Used very little, if at all; it still has the etch, and some patina/staining from poor storage!:mad: :D
View attachment 1280207

Thank you for the scans. It certainly looks different. The peachseed looks like schrade but the blades definitely do not. I suspect schrade supplied the bone but didn't make the knife. Maybe ulster? I don't know but either way it's a nice jr, whoever made it for shapleigh. :)

Wow.... theres a whole lot of goodness in that Bunch there Charlie!.

Charlie with Ulster being under the same Umbrella of A Baer, was Ulster actually making Ulster Knives in the very same factory as Schrade - or was it one big Factory that used certain machined tools for this Trade Name for example Schrade, then these certain Tools to make a knife for this Trade named Knife - Ulster- as we know there are Knives that are everything Schrade- perfectly- but only with and Ulster Stamp.

As Paul pointed out the Handle material seems to be Schrades Peach-Seed, I would like to have that DE and place Schrades Clips ontop of to see the difference

I am as confused as anyone about some of the details of production after Schrade took over Ulster, Duncan! Some Schrades seem to have been made with Ulster tooling and vice-versa. Some subtle versions of Peachseed jigging may have come from either!!
I've never seen definitive answers! The information is tentative and subject to opinion!

I had to go back eleven pages to find this thread! Do cattle sometimes bed down in the forest??:rolleyes::D
Anyhow this knife always transports me back to Queen's heyday!!:)
Bill and his staff were dedicated to making high-quality knives under the old name of Queen's progenitor, Schatt&Morgan!! High-grade knives in stainless steel, they are all great knives! In my obsession with carbon steel, these have been left behind in my collections - more's the pity.
This knife reminds me that we sometimes lose in our leaps of folly!!:D
(I'm not knocking carbon steel by any stretch!!)
So here we have what is basically a four-blade Cattle knife, with blades well-proportioned to this beefy pattern! You may call it a "Railsplitter" as Queen has done, or an increased width "Surveyor" as our elders, and Bernie Levine have done!!;) Either way it's a great, usable knife!!
It's almost like this knife belongs under the "Case" Redbone banner it's so red and attractively jigged!!:cool:Schatt Surveyor 1.jpg Schatt Surveyor 2.jpg Schatt Surveyor 3.jpg Schatt Surveyor 4.jpg Schatt Surveyor 5.jpg
(This scanner is getting older, and scratchier!!):(

While we are on the subject of Cattle knives, here is one you can't ignore!!
If a Grizzly carried a knife, this would be it!!:D If you must snap your knife shut, brace your feet when you close this one!!:eek:
Beautiful grinds, and a forged punch, and great jigging are just some of the wonderful features of this knife, along with its engraveable shield!!:)
Bigg Cattle 1.jpg Bigg Cattle 2.jpg Bigg Cattle 3.jpg Bigg Cattle 4.jpg Bigg Cattle 5.jpg

F5E87D25-67B3-4C2F-B281-A0C681FF5DC3.jpeg Well here’s my one and only. I carried it today and literally just posted it in the Totin’ thread. Nothing too special but I like it. It’s huge! And only two blades. Marbles (likely made by Rough Ryder). Really good quality, and not just for the price.

Back