Rule #9

I have too many knives. I've sold and bought, sold and bought. I know it's a harmless hobby, one I've had since my Cub Scout days. With that said, I rediscovered an old favorite. My Rule #9 is identical to the original and sports an ebony handle with blue liners. I've more or less convexed the edge, and it's plenty slicey. Sanded the handle to round out any edges that might cause a hotspot and used it for kitchen duties as well as whittling on the occasional stick.

The 90• spine is great for scraping bark or creating dust for fire prep. It cuts sandwiches and cheese and has doubled as a way to spear sausage bites from plate to mouth. It's not for the faint of heart, it has a savage look about it and without much of a guard, pretty dumb to consider stabbing it repeatedly into hard surfaces without gloves or your thumb locked on the butt end.

This knife wasn't designed by me (I designed the Phoenix-a damn fine blade too 👍🏻) but this baby gets a bunch of use. It's light, has a simple kydex sheath that holds it lightly, in case it ever needed to be a self defense tool. As a martial arts instructor for over 35 years, I've never needed to use a weapon in a fight and certainly don't intend to, but it's fun to play with nonetheless.

Thanks for your great work, John!

.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

And since I live within a few minutes of Paisley Park, here's a look at people outside paying homage to the late Prince.

Man, that's a beautiful knife. The guy that made it should be proud. I know that the guy that designed it is.
I just touched up the edge on mine, it's far and away my most used knife.
Thank you sir.

Man, that's a beautiful knife. The guy that made it should be proud. I know that the guy that designed it is.
I just touched up the edge on mine, it's far and away my most used knife.
Thank you sir.
You're welcome. Great design! Did your new one show up yet?

Not yet but I am hopeful.
I sure hope others would look seriously at this blade. It really is a great all around knife.

I have a spot reserved for a June order. Thinking about a Rule 9 in 3/32".

Not yet but I am hopeful.
I sure hope others would look seriously at this blade. It really is a great all around knife.

Agreed. Many of John's older styles are excellent, from this one to the Phoenix, from the EWOK to the Pocket Scandi, the old style Bushcrafter and the JK Original. I own all of them and they are keepers.

it's always nice to re-discover an ole favorite, thanks for the pictures,

(my wife's been interested in the "prince affaird", I'll have to let her know you live so close, she'll like the pictures.)

it's always nice to re-discover an ole favorite, thanks for the pictures,

(my wife's been interested in the "prince affaird", I'll have to let her know you live so close, she'll like the pictures.)

I have more pics. And will go there again soon too. People keep adding stuff to the mementos on the fence outside the residence.

I've always liked this model, it's been a pretty consistent seller over the years.

I had to have one made - it's a great design!

DSC_7678.JPG

best

mqqn

I have more pics. And will go there again soon too. People keep adding stuff to the mementos on the fence outside the residence.

Thanks man, think shed like to see those :thumbup:

More of the knife qouodnt hurt either :cool:

A Rule#9 in purple heart would look fantastic. Good looking and hard working sounds like a winner.

What's not to love about the rule # 9? Sold this one for a variety of reason BUT certainly not because I didn't love it. It was a favorite and still on my list of knives I want to own. I hope the new owner doesn't mind my showing off his knife :rolleyes:

Mine is so scratched up and ugly compared to yours. I neen to clean her up I guess.

What's not to love about the rule # 9? Sold this one for a variety of reason BUT certainly not because I didn't love it. It was a favorite and still on my list of knives I want to own. I hope the new owner doesn't mind my showing off his knife :rolleyes:

I don't mind at all. It is one of my favorites. :). Thanks for selling it to me.

Last edited:
Back