san mai copyright ????????????

I got the email.
John Horrigan got the email.
Others got the email.
If you look at the description of the trademark it states:
" NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "SAN MAI" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN".
Meaning, they can't claim the right to be the only ones to use the words. Which would be foolish.
It's just two common Japanese words describing a process.

If you use the Google search function on Blade Forums you'll find over 4000 times right here the words are used! (Better get yer shit together, Blade Forums - yer about to get sued!) And every other knife forum, knife maker, purveyor, steel maker, etc.

I don't get it.

In the email they want retractions and all kinds of bunk.
They want the words San Mai - oops! Violation. - removed from all social media, publications, web sites, reference material, etc.

And then give a 10 day limit to do so like they're acting as judge and jury giving a ruling after hearing a case. B.S.

WTF?

I saw somebody earlier say they were going to register 'damascus'. Just so you know, there are already no less than a dozen trade mark registrations on the word Damascus.

Delbert Ealy better get ready!! He manufactures and sells "Damascus San Mai"!!
Zoe Crist, Aldo Bruno, etc. manufacture market and sell San Mai.

Exactly! I was hoping you would chime in Karl! If anything the community needs to counter sue cold steel

Just so everybody knows before hand, I'm apply for a trademark for the word "san-mai-wich". If said really fast, it sounds like another common word, so I may have to send out around a billion C&Ds just to be safe, but I think it's worth it.

So what is "san-mai-wich"? Well, it's the process of 'sandwich-ing' three piecess of steel together to for a steel 'san-mai-wich'. Much like a regular SandwichTM, you start with two soft peices of steel (the bread) and put a tasty piece of hardenable steel (the meat) between them.

I'm pretty sure I've invented this, and that any and all testing will surpass anything that's ever been done before. In fact, I'll likely put out a DVD called "absolute substantiation" that shows me putting the steel through a barrage of tests, including slicing cleanly through a free hanging hoagie, and then to really blow everybody's minds, I'm going to toast the bread before hand.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do understand that a trademark, copyright or patent is only as strong as an entities willingness to defend it. Cold Steel obviously has owned 3 trademarks relating to San Mai since 1987. Will Cold Steel vigorously defend its trademarks in a court of law...possibly, possibly not, but who knows. A threatening letter from a lawyer is a lot cheaper than heading to court. Right wrong or indifferent, does anyone want to defend themselves against a potential trademark infringement in a court of law? Gentlemen, it boils down to this...the guy with the highest resolve, the best lawyer, and the most money wins. And the moral of the story is 'pick your fights wisely.'

San Mai dip?

wcI8sjx.jpg

Hurry time to trade mark "San Mai 2+1"

Cold Steel and Lynn Thompson are an embarrassment to the community and industry it supports.
Just another reason why my money will stay out of their pockets, oh yeah San Mai.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. A couple of years ago I was taken to court over an unrelated issue, the other side had brought 5 witnesses from the company and at least one lawyer, I was defending myself with no lawyer. I won the case, and got the feeling that the judge realized quickly that it was a BS suit and was a bit irritated at the waste of time but we all had to go through the motions. All it cost me was a little nervousness, and a couple hours of my time. I wonder how much it cost the company in lawyer's fees and the wages for the employees.

Will Cold Steel vigorously defend its trademarks in a court of law...

Probably. I would, too.
But no one is infringing on the TRADEMARK. Who is using it?
Especially in the description of the trade mark where it states they claim no right to the use of the WORDS San Mai apart from how it is used on their products.
And how could they?
They are two common words.

I have published photos, tutorials, and many posts with the term san-mai. I would be pretty sure a google or web search on san-mai would get one or more of them. To date, I have never been contacted by Cold Steel about it. Since I am also positive that they are monitoring this thread, I may hear from them soon - unless they do a little more reading and realize that my wife and several best friends are attorneys ( one who may have a case coming up before the supreme court soon).

As I read the trademark info, the register is for all caps SAN MAI.
"..... In the United States, SAN MAI is a registered trademark of Cold Steel, Inc., U.S. Reg. Nos. 1471971, 3540202 and 3540187. ...."

If you look in many supply catalogs and knife sales websites, you will see san-mai regularly used. The reason they don't get sued is that almost surely Cold Steel would loose the suit and thus loose their right to the term. I think they are mostly just trying to defend the logo and not the term.

Just to make sure Cold Steel sees this:
San-mai; sanmai; SanMai; san mai; San Mai; SAN MAI

Every single maker should make a san mai blade and post it everywhere. Order it from Bill Burke, Dictum, make it yourself, doesn't matter. Just MAKE SURE you etch "san mai" in big letters on the side of the blade.

Cold Steel lost ANOTHER long time customer.

The reality is no self respecting knifemaker would want to be associated with COLD STEEL SAN MAI 3.

How pissed would you be if people actually thought your San-Mai blade was a cold steel one? LOL

The reality is no self respecting knifemaker would want to be associated with COLD STEEL SAN MAI 3.

How pissed would you be if people actually thought your San-Mai blade was a cold steel one? LOL

lol! good one

Back