Off Topic Scary EDC?

i just recently purchased my first Fixed Blade EDC. So naturally I bought a Guardian3 in M390 simple because of the weight,leather sheath (horizontal carry),steel choice, and what a bargain the charge to accomplish all those goals in a EDC fixed blade...

Well, today I was at work meeting with a sub contractor on a new condo remodel. He caught a glimps of my blade throughout the meeting and said "You know this a safe place right?"
I laughed and jokingly replied with "Can never be too safe".

Anyone else with a similar story?
Be sure to include the brand and model , I want to know if you're the crazy one for carrying it or the "person disapproving" is. :thumbsup:

Did he really say that!?

Pay no mind to that nonsense. I have a G4 and G5 and routinely carry the 4 to work. So your G3 is in no way scary. I hope that guy was kidding. Either that or he's a ______.

Edit-- I am a plumber in NY (of all places, yuck!) and most of us carry a blade to work. No one cares. There is a pizza place we frequent for lunch--owner knows some of us--and he serves the big slices. I get 2 and sometimes they're not cut through. So, naturally the G4 or the Winkler Belt knife or Nathan's field knife or whatever I have on me that day comes out. Owner gets a kick out of it; actually asked some intelligent questions a while ago.

Every now and again I see someone in there who I just know will "disapprove." For those types, I make sure to need to cut my slice. I have really only gotten the occasional worried look to be honest. I do get a kick out of eating pieces directly off the knife blade for them! Go run to your safe space lol.

Last edited:
Well, today I was at work meeting with a sub contractor on a new condo remodel. He caught a glimps of my blade throughout the meeting and said "You know this a safe place right?"
I laughed and jokingly replied with "Can never be too safe".

So basically you confirmed to that sub contractor that your knife is a weapon.

That hardly seems to help us overcome that false impression that many have. Only adds to it.

Seems a simple, "I'm sure it is, and my knife is a tool." would have been more effective.

That hardly seems to help us overcome that false impression that many have. Only adds to it.

Seems a simple, "I'm sure it is, and my knife is a tool." would have been more effective.
I've work for my dad who has done work for him (the sub) for almost 16 years now I recently got a promotion to Project Manage/Estimates. So he understand I only mean well and I'm bullsh*tting him lol.

Did he really say that!?

Pay no mind to that nonsense. I have a G4 and G5 and routinely carry the 4 to work. So your G3 is in no way scary. I hope that guy was kidding. Either that or he's a ______.

Edit-- I am a plumber in NY (of all places, yuck!) and most of us carry a blade to work. No one cares. There is a pizza place we frequent for lunch--owner knows some of us--and he serves the big slices. I get 2 and sometimes they're not cut through. So, naturally the G4 or the Winkler Belt knife or Nathan's field knife or whatever I have on me that day comes out. Owner gets a kick out of it; actually asked some intelligent questions a while ago.

Every now and again I see someone in there who I just know will "disapprove." For those types, I make sure to need to cut my slice. I have really only gotten the occasional worried look to be honest. I do get a kick out of eating pieces directly off the knife blade for them! Go run to your safe space lol.
That was exactly my thought..I purposely bought the blade so it wouldn't seem "over the top" but hey I guess two each is own haha.
Forgot to mention I'm an electrician.

Wow, I never met a working man/woman who didn't appreciate a good blade. I was helping a woman unpack a cabinet and she needed a knife. Her utility blade was hidden under cardboard somewhere, so I loaned her my medium Espada--she is an ex-cop and a contractor, so she knows what she is doing. She did find the lock a bit hard to close, but there was no other commenting.

He said that he replied in a humorous manner, maybe it lightened the mood a bit. The guy obviously had his mind made up that the knife was a weapon. If he gave him a stern look and dared him to try something, that would have probably made things worse.

He said that he replied in a humorous manner, maybe it lightened the mood a bit. The guy obviously had his mind made up that the knife was a weapon. If he gave him a stern look and dared him to try something, that would have probably made things worse.
Hahaha, couldn't have said it better. I forgot everyone's humour isn't as dry as mine, I think.

I've work for my dad who has done work for him (the sub) for almost 16 years now I recently got a promotion to Project Manage/Estimates. So he understand I only mean well and I'm bullsh*tting him lol.

And maybe so was he. Why just jump to the conclusion he is "disapproving" and thinks its, as you say, "over the top," when you expect him to not jump to his own conclusions about what you said?

Wow, I never met a working man/woman who didn't appreciate a good blade. I was helping a woman unpack a cabinet and she needed a knife. Her utility blade was hidden under cardboard somewhere, so I loaned her my medium Espada--she is an ex-cop and a contractor, so she knows what she is doing. She did find the lock a bit hard to close, but there was no other commenting.
That's great man. I'm trying to get my wife currently into a knife right now. It's a ongoing struggle. Right now she carries a little Smith and Wesson blade (I don't even know the model) shows how much I care lol. So I've been showing her random knives and whatnot here and there , she's taking a liking to a certain 'WE' knife believe it or not.

And maybe so was he. Why just jump to the conclusion he is "disapproving" and thinks its, as you say, "over the top," when you expect him to not jump to his own conclusions about what you said?
Only used "disapproving" in order to make this a post multiple people could relate to man.
This isn't suppose to be some philosophical thread lol.

I don't know how a Guardian 3 is scary. To me it is getting to the smallest size I will go for a belt knife. Once I start being able to barely fit four fingers on it then I start thinking I might as well carry a neck knife. Plus there is nothing about the Guardian that says tactical fighting knife. I know it is supposed to be able to do backup as an SD knife but I find there is far too little protection for the fingers to slide forward on the blade.

Display your tools to the world and you get remarks. Get used to it. When I see someone packing a nice knife on their belt, I assume they want other people's attention drawn to it. Probably some form of edc virtue signaling on some level, usually.
tmp_30671-IMG_20160328_110014368-2131456510_zpsk5ipszyj.jpg

I usually wear a big enough knife on my belt (when I do) that people dont say anything I ever hear. Most of em dont even make eye contact..

Or he more deeply confirmed to the guy that knife fans are stabby psychos.

And who would "dare him to try something"? Odd thing to say.

Its always better to educate than confirm people's incorrect suspicions about knife users, look at the work Doug Ritter is doing everyday.

Display your tools to the world and you get remarks. Get used to it. When I see someone packing a nice knife on their belt, I assume they want other people's attention drawn to it. Probably some form of edc virtue signaling on some level, usually.
tmp_30671-IMG_20160328_110014368-2131456510_zpsk5ipszyj.jpg

I usually wear a big enough knife on my belt (when I do) that people dont say anything I ever hear. Most of em dont even make eye contact..
Isn't..to a degree, exactly what all of us "knife enthusiast" want.."no eye contact" hahaha

I don't know how a Guardian 3 is scary. To me it is getting to the smallest size I will go for a belt knife. Once I start being able to barely fit four fingers on it then I start thinking I might as well carry a neck knife. Plus there is nothing about the Guardian that says tactical fighting knife. I know it is supposed to be able to do backup as an SD knife but I find there is far too little protection for the fingers to slide forward on the blade.
Yeah to be honest I've often thought about selling the 3 to upgrade to the 4. I mean don't get me wrong I don't have ape hands or anything and when I choke up on my G3 the finger choil is a beaut but I can see why maybe 1 more inch of real estate would be nice.

Or he more deeply confirmed to the guy that knife fans are stabby psychos.

And who would "dare him to try something"? Odd thing to say.

Its always better to educate than confirm people's incorrect suspicions about knife users, look at the work Doug Ritter is doing everyday.

I didn't say he dared him, I said "IF" to add to my point. The OP was probably the only person on this forum that seen the guys reaction, the rest of us are only speculating what the guy may or may not have thought.

I can ensure you all he does not think I'm a "stabby psycho" lol.
His name is Vadeem so he is just a little wussy Italian guy. Get that.

Back