Off Topic Scary EDC?

None of my comments were "philosophical."

You came here, after glibly blowing off an opportunity to educated/inform a "sheeple," to complain about how uneducated/uninformed the "sheeple" are.

And that inaction on your part hurts us all as knife users. Ask Mr Ritter how much it does. Not "philosophical"...reality.
I find it very funny how you take my actions and are trying to talk down to me as I did not do the right thing with what I said lol. You act like we are all part of some cult.

I find it very funny how you take my actions and are trying to talk down to me as I did not do the right thing with what I said lol. You act like we are all part of some cult.

Well if you want to reinforce people's stereotypes about knife users that certainly is your right, but it hurts all of us here. And we here are part of something, a community of knife users. If you don't feel that, I guess it explains your actions. Oh well. Good day.

None of my comments were "philosophical."

You came here, after glibly blowing off an opportunity to educated/inform a "sheeple," to complain about how uneducated/uninformed the "sheeple" are.

And that inaction on your part hurts us all as knife users. Ask Mr Ritter how much it does. Not "philosophical"...reality.

But he was just BSing the guy:
I've work for my dad who has done work for him (the sub) for almost 16 years now I recently got a promotion to Project Manage/Estimates. So he understand I only mean well and I'm bullsh*tting him lol.
:rolleyes:

Which begs the question what exactly the point of this thread is? At least KOD might have been turned on to a new knife....

But he was just BSing the guy:

:rolleyes:

Which begs the question what exactly the point of this thread is? At least KOD might have been turned on to a new knife....
The point was really to just hear other people's stories, I was curious if this has ever happened to anyone else before. I also found it humorous that it happened while carrying the G3. I can easily think of more "abrasive" knives lol.
Yes ..I'm glad KOD has found interest lol.

This is one reason why I stopped carrying black bladed "tactifool" knives and sold mine off.

The places I often used to go such knives just drew unwanted attention, and the bad kind of attention. I got sick of being asked why I was carrying a weapon.

I don't frequent places where I might be asked stuff like that anymore. Mostly due to age and illness.

I'm a big guy at nearly 6'4", 235lbs, and have no delusions of needing a tactical knife. When I go places that aren't knife friendly, like a job, or downtown Chicago, I carry a slipjoint. Most of the time, it's all I need.

I don't have any fixed blades, and also want to try M390 or one of the other "super" steels.

Good morning KOD! Hope you're feeling well today my friend.
I got a G3 about 6 months ago and I can tell you that it is a fantastic work knife, or a great EDC fixed.
Mine is 3v with the horizontal cross draw sheath.
When worn on your belt, it is easily forgotten. With an un tucked T shirt, it's invisible.
I have literally beat the SH!T out of mine and it just laughs at me!
You won't be sorry with one.
Also, Brad is an awesome guy to deal with!!
JoeIMG_2201.JPGIMG_2202.JPG

This is one reason why I stopped carrying black bladed "tactifool" knives and sold mine off.

The places I often used to go such knives just drew unwanted attention, and the bad kind of attention. I got sick of being asked why I was carrying a weapon.

I don't frequent places where I might be asked stuff like that anymore. Mostly due to age and illness.

I'm a big guy at nearly 6'4", 235lbs, and have no delusions of needing a tactical knife. When I go places that aren't knife friendly, like a job, or downtown Chicago, I carry a slipjoint. Most of the time, it's all I need.

I don't have any fixed blades, and also want to try M390 or one of the other "super" steels.
I love M390 man, I got my G3 about 3 weeks ago, put my own Edge on it with my EPA finished at 1000 grit then stropped with green compound and I sh*t you not..that blade has not seen my EPA yet. I've prepped food, cut at least 500 feet of romex insulation, plastic, cardboard, and mail. All this and I can still push cut printer paper. Yes a few snags here and there but it's a big big jump from a common steel like s30v

I will be picking one up next month with my disability check.

The point was really to just hear other people's stories, I was curious if this has ever happened to anyone else before. I also found it humorous that it happened while carrying the G3. I can easily think of more "abrasive" knives lol.

I'm sure the folks in NYC getting busted for "gravity knives" due to people finding their knives "abrasive" find it all humorous too. lol!

Bottom line to me is that instead of taking a minute to try to change one (of countless) people's minds about people who carry knives and why they carry them, you took the time to come here and complain about that person instead.

Like craytab, I don't see the point.

Better light a candle than curse the darkness.

Anyone talking about 'safe places,' 'safe spaces,' etc., should be mocked and ridiculed.

I used to get coworkers asking me why I always have a knife (I bartend at a restaurant). Now they're always asking to borrow it, lol.

Anyone talking about 'safe places,' 'safe spaces,' etc., should be mocked and ridiculed.

I used to get coworkers asking me why I always have a knife (I bartend at a restaurant). Now they're always asking to borrow it, lol.
Yeh it's quite funny when the tables turn. My wife is always receiving packages and complaining about having to cut through the packing slip as well as the tape just to open it, now she just turns to me whenever they arrive lol.

It's the little things that people begin to appreciate a nice edge/knife.

Whenever it's a birthday or gift giving holiday my family always wants my knife. My mom is very handy with a knife, and thus far has easily figured out every locking mechanism I have.

My father and brother in law, not so much. My dad learned everything he knows mechanically and tool wise. My mom and I are mechanically inclined naturally. She may be 4'11", but she backs down from nothing. Plumbing, electrical. She taught me how to install car stereos when I was 16, as my first car only had am/FM. We also build and service our work computers (when I worked).

She's the only person I trust implicitly with my knives.

Whenever it's a birthday or gift giving holiday my family always wants my knife. My mom is very handy with a knife, and thus far has easily figured out every locking mechanism I have.

My father and brother in law, not so much. My dad learned everything he knows mechanically and tool wise. My mom and I are mechanically inclined naturally. She may be 4'11", but she backs down from nothing. Plumbing, electrical. She taught me how to install car stereos when I was 16, as my first car only had am/FM. We also build and service our work computers (when I worked).

She's the only person I trust implicitly with my knives.
Nice! One of these days my woman will become a knife fanatic..I hope lol

Good morning KOD! Hope you're feeling well today my friend.
I got a G3 about 6 months ago and I can tell you that it is a fantastic work knife, or a great EDC fixed.
Mine is 3v with the horizontal cross draw sheath.
When worn on your belt, it is easily forgotten. With an un tucked T shirt, it's invisible.
I have literally beat the SH!T out of mine and it just laughs at me!
You won't be sorry with one.
Also, Brad is an awesome guy to deal with!!
JoeView attachment 707556View attachment 707557

I got to meet Brad 2 years ago in person at a local knife show where I ended up buying my G3, he is the epitome of class and is a maker I'd be more than willing to support. I ended up phasing out my G3 with a Fiddleback Forge Bushfinger, but the G3 is a fantastic little knife that has very few competitors more capable in the small fixed blade category, especially for the price.

I also had a run-in with my G3 being viewed as scary, my supervisor at work has noticed plenty of knives come through the mail because I ship them to work rather than to home, so he's used to me having knives and knows I'm a knife guy. Still, when I was using my G3 for cutting up some cardboard he still mentioned 'ooh, that's a scary one, looks stabby', which woke me up to the fact that it was indeed a scary knife to those not familiar with knives in general, thus I should be careful when wielding it so as to not scare someone into taking action against it.

Acceptance of knives as tools or not, some knives are scarier than others, so the OP laughing off the fact that his knife is scary when it could get him in trouble is worrisome. You should never assume the people around you understand the use of you knife, it looks like a weapon more often than it looks like a tool, even when being used as a tool.

Last edited:
So much just comes from the expected versus the unexpected. I regularly carry a 4" blade. It's just the size I'm comfortable with and I use it every day on everything from fruit to paper to boxes or whatever. I use it and back in the pocket it goes, no problems, no remarks. A friend recently gave me a pen knife (knife inside a pen) that's maybe 1.5" or so, just a little thing. I was writing some notes when I coworker brought in a case of paper and asked for a scissor, so remembering my new "tool", I pulled off the cap and handed him the blade. You should have seen the look on his face; he was NOT expecting a blade to come out of that pen! It was like I handed him a snake! I could have handed him my pocket knife and he wouldn't have thought twice. So, as they say, it's not what you have, it's how you use it.

I don't have many stories because I move either in very gun/knife friendly environments or in places where I keep a super low profile.

For instance, I'm about to go to my gym to teach a grappling class and I'm bringing three or four new knives for the guys to look at. A mate of mine is bringing some custom tomahawks and after class we're all hitting a local knife show. So no problems there.

When doing field work (I'm an anthopologist) most folks carry some sort of knife or multitool and there are usually axes or machetes laying about. A knife that didn't look utilitarian (say, if I brought my Protech Godfather) might get some comments.

Around people I don't know too well or in places where I'm not sure about the reaction, I use a SAK or a slipjoint. I always carry a SAK with me for the extra tools and because I can use it anywhere.

The last person to make negative remarks about my knife and gun hobbies was my mother in law. She'd never met me in person and was a bit worried (we don't have a widespread gun culture in Argentina like you guys in the US).

So I took her and her two daughters to my shooting club, had a nice lunch and introduced them to firearms. She didn't love it, but at least saw I'm knowledgeable and careful. My girlfriend and her sister loved it and burned through a brick of .22 and even a couple of boxes of 12ga.

After a month of knowing me I got all three of them carrying knives of some sort. My GF picks up whatever she fancies from my "easily replaceable" EDC drawer (I love her, but she's still a bit abusive with her knife use), her sister carries a Kershaw Knockout and her mother a Vic Executive.

Everybody around here carries a knife of some sort, and maybe even a gun, so "disapproval" has never been a problem.

The closest I've come is when I had a medical test done at a local outpatient clinic last year. After the proceedure, I looked at the plastic ID band on my wrist and said, "I guess I don't need this anymore." Before the nurse could get her scissors out of her pocket, I had my Sebenza 25 flipped open & the band cut off. The nurses eyes got big, her mouth dropped open & she was about to say something, when my wife looked at her & said, "Don't get him started."

Back