School me on pocket torches

Sharp & Fiery

Leatherworks, Kydex/Holstex/Boltaron, Mods -Canada
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good morning Folks,

As hard as I have tried not to EDC a flashlight...my mind is changing. I need to be schooled!

Stipulations:

1. Must be 1000 Lumens minimum.
2. Diameter of flashlight small as possible
3. Multiple modes of light intensity
4. Titanium body
5. Preferably adjustible beam (bevel)
6. Must be short, but not too short
7. Can take “special” batteries and I would prefer if it could also take AA’s.

Or also any super bright light that is small that works for you.

Pictures are appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Sharp & Fiery!

Keyopp Keyopp

Good morning Folks,

As hard as I have tried not to EDC a flashlight...my mind is changing. I need to be schooled!

Stipulations:

4. Titanium body

Or also any super bright light that is small that works for you.

Pictures are appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Sharp & Fiery!

Keyopp Keyopp

Welcome to the light side (...or dark side, as lights can get addictive like knives :)) I have another full day of yard construction but, later today I should be able to share some details on what’s worked for me, if the Turkey sleeps don’t put me down too quick. I’ve seen a lot of great lights from other members too, so I anticipate you should get some good info here. I’m also curious to see other members recommendations that fit your list above.

The only one I’ve had is the Olight SRII Baton (I think that’s what it’s called) I’ll have to go look in the work truck and see. It’s small, magnetic, and usb rechargeable. Can’t remember the batteries but I order them online. It’s works real well for me. The magnet is a huge plus for me. It’s the only “expensive” to me flashlight I’ve ever had so I have limited experience. I’ll send you some pics later of size

Those are tough specs,I have a Lumintop fw1a and it's close to a lot of your wants check it out- I really like mine

If I were you I'd hit up Vinh Nguyen of Skylumen.com. He modifies a lot of different lights and his work is always top notch. The Manker E05TI, Lumintop Tool AA Ti, Eagletac D3C, and Eagletac D3C would all be good options given your criteria.

Strong personal opinions and a shockingly long reply incoming. :D

4. Titanium body

#1 is widely available, lots of ways to skin this cat.

#2 is Zebralight territory. Look at the SC53w and SC64w. You pay a premium for ZL's engineering, but no one else squeezes as much light into as little space.

#3 is well-handled by most enthusiast lights. Zebralight has a customizable UI that's a joy to use. Any light running Andúril (or earlier variations) will have infinite ramping baked right in; Emisar, Noctigon, and Lumintop, among others, make great Andúril lights.

#4 often (though not always) steers you out of performance-oriented lights and into lights that put aesthetics first. Nothing wrong with that, just not my jam. Titanium is expensive and doesn't dissipate heat well.

#5 is one of those things that sounds cooler than it actually is, IMO. I loved the adjustable beam on my Maglites ("zoomies") before I discovered enthusiast lights. Now I can't imagine ever wanting that again. With a light that has adjustable brightness levels, and the beam profile that best suits your average daily tasks (some balance of flood/throw, depending on what those are), zoomable lights just aren't that useful.

#6 is fun because many 18650 lights also offer optional 18350 body tubes. The resulting stubby form factor is great for some use cases, and looking at the lights on my desk about half of my 18650s are currently in shorty mode. You lose battery life, but not brightness.

#7 is a funny one, because most AA lights are barely smaller than 18650 lights, and 18650s give you more of everything in exchange for a nominal increase in size. Over the years I've gotten rid of all of my AA-sized lights. If I want a small light, AAA-sized works better for me; 18650 and up meets all of my other needs.

I would add a #8 to your list, particularly if you're new to enthusiast lights: high CRI (color rendering index). The higher the CRI, the more naturally the light shows colors. (One adage is that, when hiking, high CRI is the difference between a stick and a snake.) CRI has become the property that trumps all others for me. I almost never buy a light that doesn't have a CRI of 95+.

...Alongside another addition, #9: color temperature. Cool white gives you the most lumens, but cool white light is nasty. For an EDC light, neutral white or warm white are going to be more pleasing for your eyes, and the only tradeoff is slightly lower brightness. (Perceived brightness isn't linear, so if CW is 1,300 lumens and NW is 1,000, your eyes will barely notice the difference.)

Any hey, why not one more: #10, moonlight/firefly mode. Zebralight is the king of sub-lumen modes, but many enthusiast lights get close. Alongside "medium" -- say 200-400 lumens -- moonlight is by far my most-used mode. It's surprising how useful 1/2 lumen of light is when you're navigating your bedroom without waking up your spouse, etc.

So! Finally, a recommendation or two. :D I've already mentioned the Zebralight SC53w (AA) and SC64w (18650). Although I don't own either, they're beloved in hobbyist circles and I do own a couple other ZL torches; they're fantastic.

My daily tasks tend to be indoors and up close, so my preferred EDC light is one that prioritizes flood over throw. My two favorites are the Noctigon KR4 with an E21A emitter (neutral white) and the Emisar D4V2 with an SST20 emitter (warm white). Both run Andúril, both have shorty tube options, and both are a joy to use. The KR4 has a tail switch with an optional tritium tube, while the D4V2 has a side switch.

With the emitters I chose, the D4V2 has a turbo of 3,000 lumens while the KR4 tops out at 1,200. The D4V2 is a hot rod; it can set paper on fire. The KR4 is more efficiency-oriented.

Both also have aux LEDs, and thanks to the battery life of 18650/18350 batteries you can have them on 100% of the time -- making the light easy to find in the dark, and giving you some other cool tools (like showing the difference between a locked-out light and one that's merely off, or the battery level). It's difficult for me to buy a light without these anymore. :D

Noctigon KR4 w/18350 tube installed
vOC3xVW.jpg

Emisar D4V2 w/18650 tube installed
wStIucY.jpg

The Reddit flashlight sub is also an excellent resource. Their FAQ covers a lot of this stuff better than I can, and every light on their pinned list of recommended lights is a winner -- and all will include some guidance as to their best use cases, etc.

Happy to answer any questions as best I can, though. I stuck to EDC recommendations, but I can cover some other use cases as well (long throwers, pencil spotlights, flood monsters, head lamps). I love lights and they're a fun hobby. :)

Strong personal opinions and a shockingly long reply incoming. :D

#1 is widely available, lots of ways to skin this cat.

#2 is Zebralight territory. Look at the SC53w and SC64w. You pay a premium for ZL's engineering, but no one else squeezes as much light into as little space.

#3 is well-handled by most enthusiast lights. Zebralight has a customizable UI that's a joy to use. Any light running Andúril (or earlier variations) will have infinite ramping baked right in; Emisar, Noctigon, and Lumintop, among others, make great Andúril lights.

#4 often (though not always) steers you out of performance-oriented lights and into lights that put aesthetics first. Nothing wrong with that, just not my jam. Titanium is expensive and doesn't dissipate heat well.

#5 is one of those things that sounds cooler than it actually is, IMO. I loved the adjustable beam on my Maglites ("zoomies") before I discovered enthusiast lights. Now I can't imagine ever wanting that again. With a light that has adjustable brightness levels, and the beam profile that best suits your average daily tasks (some balance of flood/throw, depending on what those are), zoomable lights just aren't that useful.

#6 is fun because many 18650 lights also offer optional 18350 body tubes. The resulting stubby form factor is great for some use cases, and looking at the lights on my desk about half of my 18650s are currently in shorty mode. You lose battery life, but not brightness.

#7 is a funny one, because most AA lights are barely smaller than 18650 lights, and 18650s give you more of everything in exchange for a nominal increase in size. Over the years I've gotten rid of all of my AA-sized lights. If I want a small light, AAA-sized works better for me; 18650 and up meets all of my other needs.

I would add a #8 to your list, particularly if you're new to enthusiast lights: high CRI (color rendering index). The higher the CRI, the more naturally the light shows colors. (One adage is that, when hiking, high CRI is the difference between a stick and a snake.) CRI has become the property that trumps all others for me. I almost never buy a light that doesn't have a CRI of 95+.

...Alongside another addition, #9: color temperature. Cool white gives you the most lumens, but cool white light is nasty. For an EDC light, neutral white or warm white are going to be more pleasing for your eyes, and the only tradeoff is slightly lower brightness. (Perceived brightness isn't linear, so if CW is 1,300 lumens and NW is 1,000, your eyes will barely notice the difference.)

Any hey, why not one more: #10, moonlight/firefly mode. Zebralight is the king of sub-lumen modes, but many enthusiast lights get close. Alongside "medium" -- say 200-400 lumens -- moonlight is by far my most-used mode. It's surprising how useful 1/2 lumen of light is when you're navigating your bedroom without waking up your spouse, etc.

So! Finally, a recommendation or two. :D I've already mentioned the Zebralight SC53w (AA) and SC64w (18650). Although I don't own either, they're beloved in hobbyist circles and I do own a couple other ZL torches; they're fantastic.

My daily tasks tend to be indoors and up close, so my preferred EDC light is one that prioritizes flood over throw. My two favorites are the Noctigon KR4 with an E21A emitter (neutral white) and the Emisar D4V2 with an SST20 emitter (warm white). Both run Andúril, both have shorty tube options, and both are a joy to use. The KR4 has a tail switch with an optional tritium tube, while the D4V2 has a side switch.

With the emitters I chose, the D4V2 has a turbo of 3,000 lumens while the KR4 tops out at 1,200. The D4V2 is a hot rod; it can set paper on fire. The KR4 is more efficiency-oriented.

Both also have aux LEDs, and thanks to the battery life of 18650/18350 batteries you can have them on 100% of the time -- making the light easy to find in the dark, and giving you some other cool tools (like showing the difference between a locked-out light and one that's merely off, or the battery level). It's difficult for me to buy a light without these anymore. :D

Noctigon KR4 w/18350 tube installed
vOC3xVW.jpg

Emisar D4V2 w/18650 tube installed
wStIucY.jpg

The Reddit flashlight sub is also an excellent resource. Their FAQ covers a lot of this stuff better than I can, and every light on their pinned list of recommended lights is a winner -- and all will include some guidance as to their best use cases, etc.

Happy to answer any questions as best I can, though. I stuck to EDC recommendations, but I can cover some other use cases as well (long throwers, pencil spotlights, flood monsters, head lamps). I love lights and they're a fun hobby. :)

Thanks, I’m gonna have a ton more questions. Haha

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery I’m no flashlight expert by any means but you know what I do for a living day in and day out so what Dadpool Dadpool said about CRI is correct. I did a job not too long ago with LED flat panels. Same color, same wattage, but some had higher CRI. Major difference in light

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery I’m no flashlight expert by any means but you know what I do for a living day in and day out so what Dadpool Dadpool said about CRI is correct. I did a job not too long ago with LED flat panels. Same color, same wattage, but some had higher CRI. Major difference in light

Ya...I also know the difference in light on the kelvin scale. Love natural...
I do own a Fenix LD30 which seems like bright white, and just purchased an olight mini warrior and am a touch nervous that it is also bright white.
Dadpool Dadpool any info for me here?

What does the “light intensity” number mean?

I should have stated my intended use...

What this is primarily going to be used for, is not only navigational help in the bush, but for spotting the bush across a field. So not necessarily for work purposes in tight spaces.

Not sure if that makes a difference.

Also: funny sidenote...today, while hanging out with my parents they asked” why do you have 3 knives on you?” I said “preparedness.” “3 knives?” Said my mom. “Yup, I’m prepared to loose two today and still have one if need be!” was my response. Haha. :)

I do own a Fenix LD30 which seems like bright white, and just purchased an olight mini warrior and am a touch nervous that it is also bright white.
Dadpool Dadpool any info for me here?

I stopped buying Olights because of their commitment to cool white. If you Google the model of your specific lights, cool white is anything higher than about 5,500K (maaaybe 6,000K). I mainly stick to the 3,500-5,000K range.

What this is primarily going to be used for, is not only navigational help in the bush, but for spotting the bush across a field. So not necessarily for work purposes in tight spaces.

It does! A flood-oriented light like the D4V2 will help you spot the bush simply by virtue of blasting out 3,000+ lumens -- but not nearly as much as one with more throw and a tighter hotspot.

The Noctigon KR1 and the Lumintop FW1A are both good options here. The KR1 looks to have a pretty chunky head, but I'm a bit less worried about a slim flashlight body when I'm out in the woods (as I tend to have pockets/pouches in which to stash it, rather than having to tote it all day). I don't own one, but only because I already own a similar light with lower specs (Emisar D1) that meets my occasional "pocket pencil spot" needs.

I suspect the Zebralight SC64w will be a pretty good choice as well. I own one of its older iterations, and it has a great balance between flood and throw. I do own an FW1A (not to be confused with the FW3A, which is a highly efficient flood-oriented light; the 1 and 3 are the number of LEDs) and it's a fantastic pocket thrower. No aux LEDs, but you can install a turbo glow gasket that gives you a GitD element to help find it in the night.

Either of those options will have a nice low-output mode for hiking, when you really don't need a lot of light for trail illumination.

If you want to experiment with some budget lights to see what you like, rather than dropping $50-$100 on a more premium light, Convoy makes excellent budget lights. I love the S2+, which takes a single 18650, has an optional 18350 body tube, is one of the slimmest lights this size that isn't a Zebralight (the tradeoff is that it's quite long in 18650 mode), and costs next to nothing. Much simpler UI, but for your use case low/medium/high should work nicely -- and it has a great balance between flood and throw. I bring that one camping all the time because it's simple enough to hand other people but also solidly an enthusiast light.

Convoy S2+ w/18350 tube installed
vcpj7ml.jpg

Lumintop FW1A
5BHGoBw.jpg

Lumintop and Zebralight can often be ordered from US retailers. Convoy occasionally can as well. But Noctigon, Emisar, Convoy, and other Chinese brands are -- counterintuitively, coming from the knife world! -- best ordered from sites in China, with the attendant 2-6+ week wait.

V54 :thumbsup:
Admittedly, I'm not big on titanium lights; though I have a few. Aluminum works...but, I do love copper, and I'm okay with the weight difference.

For navigation something like a Petzl headlight is going to be a good call.

For a nice small Ti flashlight I've got one of the Maratac AAA Ti inspection lights that I like a lot. It carries very well with the slim body.

I should have stated my intended use...

Also: funny sidenote...today, while hanging out with my parents they asked” why do you have 3 knives on you?” I said “preparedness.” “3 knives?” Said my mom. “Yup, I’m prepared to loose two today and still have one if need be!” was my response. Haha. :)

Then another factor you want to look at is "flood" vs "spot".
If you are trying to locate something across a field, you are likely to want a narrower beam, because its light will remain concentrated at a longer distance. Some of the YouTube light reviewers are pretty good about showing what kind of beam a light has and the effective distance of the light. Others, not so much.

Then another factor you want to look at is "flood" vs "spot".
If you are trying to locate something across a field, you are likely to want a narrower beam, because its light will remain concentrated at a longer distance. Some of the YouTube light reviewers are pretty good about showing what kind of beam a light has and the effective distance of the light. Others, not so much.

Thanks! Ya, I was hoping for an adjustable beam. :)

I've never had much use for an adjustable beam. Moving parts on a flashlight is an invitation for moisture ingress. Flashlights don't normally deal well with that.

That is a great point and makes total sense. Maybe that is the reason why its hard to find them with an adjustable beam. :)

I’m still living in the Maglight era. Haha.

For navigation something like a Petzl headlight is going to be a good call.

For a nice small Ti flashlight I've got one of the Maratac AAA Ti inspection lights that I like a lot. It carries very well with the slim body.

:D Thank ya! I do use a Black Diamond headlamp while going to the blind. :)
Works great, and I have a Petzl in my ice climbing pack.
Excellent suggestions. But not a “pocket torch.” :D

For its size, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better EDC light than your LD30.
The PD40R (3000 lumens) will give you twice the throw, (400 meters vs 200m), even longer runtimes and has a nice flood to go along with the spot, and it is still pocketable.
The PD36R will be somewhere in between the two and is still very pocketable. Not much bigger than your LD30.
Unless you working up close, I don’t consider CRI values to be as important.

I will echo the other’s sentiments on adjustable beams. Not really necessary any more.

a8W5aH4.jpg

Last edited:
Back