Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Unfortunately I didn’t print or save many of the pictures before the software platform here changed and a large chunk were lost.

Unfortunately I didn’t print or save many of the pictures before the software platform here changed and a large chunk were lost.
Oh I have lost several generations of photo files over the years mostly due to computer crashes. Thumb drives are now cheap and easy to use for backups.

Here is another knife you may not have seen. A 518SC given to dealers as a bonus for purchasing the HK88 hunting knife display panels. Records show 6,000 made.

SCHK881988--OT--UH-Flyer1583965380.jpg

1988-518SC-Eagle--Fish-21583965015.jpg

1988-518SC-Eagle--Fish-11583965481.jpg

The 501SC or SC501 (I've seen then both ways) ..
This is yet another conundrum presented by Schrade. An examination of the flyers, the catalogs, the packaging and papers as well as tang stamps shows that Schrade was not consistent in using the "SC" identifier as either a prefix or suffix. I'll see what I can dig up on this with a more indepth review. Meanwhile, I don't count either as being wrong.
502SCSC502-Stamp1583965663.jpg

Here's one that I let get away. A simple etch SFO for an ag company but on a 152UH instead of the more common 152OT with added etch.

2jbmx6h.jpg

wj9guo.jpg

It didn't appear to be used but rather scratched badly front and rear.

One that I wanted but it too got away from me.

9qhftt.jpg

2ur45jp.jpg

Yep. A new Herman Williams rehandle in burl with mosaic pins. This time he didn't do any filework. Still a handsome custom.

1976 was the first year for the Scrimshaw edition of the Sharpfinger. It utilized the stock 152OT tang stamp and had artwork on both sides of the ivory Delrin handle, Whale hunt on the mark side and a tall masted whaling ship on the pile side. Schrade records show 11,955 of the 152SC shipped that year.

1977 was the second year for the Scrimshaw edition Sharpfinger and the first year for a new tang stamp, 155SC. It also continued the dual artwork of the first edition with Liberty/Justice on one side and an image of the Mayflower ship and the date 1620 on the pile side. Production records show 11,397 of the new 155SC shipped.

1978 was the third year for the Scrimshaw edition Sharp Finger and the last year for the tan parchment gift box. With the bear fishing for salmon art on the mark side, the art on the pile side was eliminated in favor of a scroll panel supposedly for the owner to add their initials, a feature which would continue for years. It also was the first edition to move away from the nautical theme to the wildlife theme though the etch logo still included the anchor, it would be replaced by the sun in 1979. Likewise it was the last year of the 155SC tang stamp. Sharp Finger was still two words. Records show that in 1978 there were 13,581 155SC shipped.

Last edited:
Ah.. Schrade Scrimshaw of 1979. A year of changes. First, the fixed blade pattern was changed to the 154OT/501SC drop point pattern. There was no Sharpfinger in this year's series which was given the title of "Scrimshaw Of The Great Outdoors". The box was black with red flocked tray, a design which would continue for ten years. The blade etch logo dropped the anchor and replaced it with the sun. The artwork depicted a bust of a whitetail deer.

11rsw0i.jpg

zwzs7k.jpg

1980 brought a return of the Sharpfinger in the “Schrade Scrimshaw Of The Great Outdoors” lineup. This time with a new tang stamp, SC502, with Pronghorn Antelope bust art. The number of patterns was continued with six patterns as in 1979. The complete set was pictured in a dealer display, but not a customer boxed set yet.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Schrade decided to make changes to reduce production costs in 1987 and sometime during that year the black presentation box with red felted tray for the SC502 Polar Bear was replaced by the blue and white fold down box. Thus this year's issue can be found in both packages, as well as in the dealer display of seven Scrimshaw knives. The sheaths also changed from the pouch style to the molded handle strap style.

Last edited:
The art on the SC502 for 1989 is a vertical drawing of a hunter and hound with a treed raccoon. It came in the blue and white fold down box marked “502SC” on the end flap, with the last design sheath. A second pattern sheath knife, the 518SC (158OT) used art of a standing ram. There were seven patterns in the set that year. MSRP of the SC502 was $29.95. At this point the complete set of seven Scrimshaw Of The Great American Outdoors knives is only offered together in the oak framed OC-28 dealer merchandiser display from which they were intended to be sold individually, first from stock in the back of the display and then from the display itself.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with both of these though I don't own either. Both are from very similar five knife sets.

The first "Massey Harris" Sharp Finger is from the "Massey Ferguson Commemorative Scrimshaw Set". I can't recall when the set came out but it is so similar to the Sundowner set my guess would be 2001 to commemorate the 110th Anniversary of Massey Ferguson.

The Sundowner is from a 25th Anniversary (1975-2000) set. It was most definitely a 2000 issue and is packaged nearly the same as the Massey set which is why I guessed 2001 for the Massey set.

These are the best pics I could quickly come up with.

Massey Set:
View attachment 340230View attachment 340231View attachment 340232View attachment 340233
The issue I noted back in 2013 is still as yet unresolved to my satisfaction. I acquired an example of the 502SC from that set. It is serialized so came from a broken set. Also I recently saw a near identical set themed "John Deere 160th Anniversary - 1837-1997" with the same type box and same patterns used. The John Deere set is dated on the papers so it is a definite benchmark. No such date notation on the Massey Ferguson set.

Last edited:
I recently picked up a (SCHRADE U.S.A. 502SC) pallet Sharpfinger and noticed that the blade is thinner (1/32" +/-) than my older ones. What gives? Has this been discussed before?
(So it is basically 1/8" vs 5/32" thick)

Last edited:
Yes. Would I be correct in guessing that your blade is stainless? Most of those were. The stainless stock is nominally thinner than the carbon steel stock. And thinner than previous stainless like the earlier 152UH and limited editions. Is the grind hollow or plain?

The tang stamp is (SCHRADE U.S.A. 502SC) but after reading some of your earlier posts I guess that does not necessarily mean carbon steel. Guess I'll have to try a forced patina to know for sure. As far as the grind it looks flat to me but I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

Here is the last, the hollow ground blade.
2dci9s5.jpg

A "+" indicates stainless, but not all stainless is marked.

Good morning:

I am new in this forum, and this is the thread that threw me in.

First of all, I want to thank Codger for his entusiasm and his generosity with the information he has gathered throughout these years.

A week ago I was able to buy a Sharpfinger "The Big Stag" model, and found Codger´s thread, looking out for info in the net...

I got in touch with the people in SMKW and asked about the Deer Series, because Codger mentioned that possibly these knives were a special issue for SMKV..., and they have just confirmed that the four knives shown in this tread are the only ones made, and that they were made as a special issue for them on the 2000 year. Brian Wilhoite, Senior Designer of Special Projects even sent a photograph of the imprinted publicity. There were 1500 pieces of each one of the models made for sale. I will try to insert the photo as soon as possible.

I hope to learn a lot more in this Forum.

Back