Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

I don't know why Schrade discontinued the pouch sheath, as that design is the best for general use/EDC. I can imagine that hunters would want a sheath with a retaining strap to prevent loss while crouching/crawling, but for everyday work I've found the pouch design is best and am curious why they didn't just sell both designs side-by-side.

Was it a sales issue, or did the market change? Maybe Codger can enlighten us.
I couold only guess, same as you. Ms. Chase, company CSR, told us that the first sheath change was due to customer complaints about lost knives. The choil strap either not being securely fastened or being snagged resulting in lost knives. Their answer was the pouch style sheath. I never tried one in my hunting and woodsrunning and canoeing, but it seems to me it would be worse for loss during highly active sports due to the knife being held by friction alone. I would have to check and see when it was dropped from the catalogs as an optional replacement sheath.

Another recent addition to the collection, the 1982 502SC with mountain lion art. This would be the last issue with the choil keeper strap sheath.

LsVFDwu.jpg

Last edited:
The pouch sheath, SAS-17, was introduced in 1983 and listed separately as a replacement sheath in 1983 and in 1984. It was standard issue until 1988/89. The last style sheath with the handle retainer strap, SAS-19, shows up as a replacement in the catalogs as new in 1985 also listed in 1986.

The latest "target of opportunity". This one popped up with an irresistible price and I bought it. If it is as nice as it appears to be in the photo, I'll give it to a family member who wants one to hunt with. This one begs to be a user and if I gave him one either special or new in the box he might not use it.
Pre19831588697999.jpg

Thanks Mike for fixing my attempts to post the picture of my POW/MIA knife. I've posted this many years ago and I still have not located any information on the knife.
As you have said its in the same box as the DU knives.

Thanks Mike for fixing my attempts to post the picture of my POW/MIA knife. I've posted this many years ago and I still have not located any information on the knife.
Perhaps something will surface on those state DU presentation boxes to better nail down the timeline on both them and your POW/MIA knife. The boxes and knives appear to be identical with only the lasered lids changed, and blade etches added to the State DU knives other than the interior nomenclature. None of them indicate a year of issue. Best time estimates are the appearance of similar constructed and lasered boxes for the Federal Duck Stamp knives.

The latest "target of opportunity". This one popped up with an irresistible price and I bought it. If it is as nice as it appears to be in the photo, I'll give it to a family member who wants one to hunt with. This one begs to be a user and if I gave him one either special or new in the box he might not use it.

Pre19831588697999.jpg
Hi Old Mate, what is a "target of opportunity" price to pay for a Sharp Finger?
I have never targeted a Sharp Finger, although I have six in my collection.
The opportunity just came up, and I could not say NO!
I came across a good use Sharp Finger, for sale yesterday - for under US$ 20.

Last edited:
Hi Old Mate, what is a "target of opportunity" price to pay for a Sharp Finger?
I have never targeted a Sharp Finger, although I have six in my collection.
The opportunity just came up, and I could not say NO!
I came across a good use Sharp Finger, for sale yesterday - for under US$ 20.
$30 or less is good if it is still in excellent user condition with near perfect sheath. Just have to account for shipping and taxes.

Sorry for the crummy photo. Top knife is the NJ Game knife. I've gifted it to my son in law. He is a big time outdoors hunter and loves the blade.
I have to retake a lot of pictures. The phone just doesnt do it.
TTYL
Larry

Sorry for the crummy photo. Top knife is the NJ Game knife. I've gifted it to my son in law. He is a big time outdoors hunter and loves the blade.
I have to retake a lot of pictures. The phone just doesnt do it.
TTYL
Larry
Ohhh! You got me with the NJ DFGW knife! That is only the second one of those I have seen and zoom as I might, I couldn't make out the etch.

So far it is the only Sharpfinger I have noted using the green Delrin covers. They were also used on the 154 pattern for U.S.T. Skoal. So might possibly have been remaindered from that much larger run rather than requiring a new setup and molding run for only a few shots.

The sheaths for this issue were custom stamped with their emblem.
New-Jersey-Div-F--WLF-Sheath1588868363.jpg

Another new one from the 1995 US Tobacco/Copenhagen presentation sets. This one is from the UST95CSO - "Copenhagen / SKOAL Outdoors" blade etches - 242 pcs.

Copenhagen-Skoal-Outdoors-41588951692.jpg

Back in December of '18 I found this one, UST95PC - "Copenhagen / SKOAL Pulling Circuit" blade etches - 96 pcs.

Cope-Skoal-Pulling-Circuit1588951870.jpg

There are two more Sharpfingers from sets I am yet to find.
UST95PR - "Copenhagen / SKOAL Pro Rodeo" blade etches - 298 pcs.
UST95BR - "Copenhagen / SKOAL Bandit Racing" blade etches - 308 pcs.

Like a duck on a junebug! :) Seller was open to a much lower offer. And the other two from this set are still listed. Here is a photo I had archived of the complete set.
385-Copenhagen-Outdoors-Set1588961639.jpg

I'm still trying to find details on the MIA knife and the similarly boxed State DU knives. It occurred to me that the other knives with which I was associating them, Federal Duck Stamps, were not similarly constructed. Those hinged top lasered boxes' bases were hollowed out and a flocked platform fitted to hold the knives. But the aforementioned knives were set in bases which were routed/inleted for the knives themselves, with lasered nomenclature on that inside base. Thus the issues these knives boxes most clearly resemble are the 1996 "Wildlife For Tomorrow" and 1997 "Endangered Species" sets. So that may be a closer timeline, give or take a year. Still a guess but plausible until something more concrete is revealed.

Back