Schrade Schf43 Jessica X VS Bk4 VS Bk9 VS Bk21 Chopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
apparently the defect is related to a safety issue with the handles. mmm.

It's possible the handle attracts female elephants.
I mean...I see where that could definitely be a safety issue.

I'm going to ignore the knives and just focus on this little gem.

The test will be my exact and absolute best attempt at being entirely fair and unbiased. People here won't like that.
Schrade people won't like that.
Beckerheads tend to be knife knuts by and large. We judge knives based on knives. If there is a knife that bests a Becker knife we tend to discuss it favorably. There are LOTS of knives that are better choppers than the BK-9. Take for instance the Jungalas. It bests the BK-9 in chopping yet still functions as a knife and no one has any issue with it being "better" than the BK-9. The issue isn't the knife, it's that it's a one trick pony. We (as Beckerheads) want a knife that does more than just one thing like chopping which is why so many of us don't care of it. If we wanted a dedicated chopper, we'd just carry an ax.

I'm going to ignore the knives and just focus on this little gem.

Beckerheads tend to be knife knuts by and large. We judge knives based on knives. If there is a knife that bests a Becker knife we tend to discuss it favorably. There are LOTS of knives that are better choppers than the BK-9. Take for instance the Jungalas. It bests the BK-9 in chopping yet still functions as a knife and no one has any issue with it being "better" than the BK-9. The issue isn't the knife, it's that it's a one trick pony. We (as Beckerheads) want a knife that does more than just one thing like chopping which is why so many of us don't care of it. If we wanted a dedicated chopper, we'd just carry an ax.

Very well said. I use an axe as well. The axe was made in Mexico and can be found in a certain big box store. That thing will outchop ALL my knives....Beckers or not.

Very well said. I use an axe as well. The axe was made in Mexico and can be found in a certain big box store. That thing will outchop ALL my knives....Beckers or not.

My axe is orange and black, named after a small Finnish village, and rhymes with whiskars. :D

Ethan...We really need a Becker hatchet!:thumbup:

i have a Fiskars. I'll just write Becker on it :D

those chop realllllly good. some people call them "hateful", but it's kinda hard to beat the price, performance, AND they're sharpish when buying an axe at a box store. lifetime guarantee, even if "hateful" ;)

course, if you have the know how, you can hunt down some good vintage blades, put a new handle on them (almost always required, as most people break them or let them suffer), clean and sharpen and all that...

most people can't be bothered :D

then again, MOST people don't need to dismember wood that way.

splitting is a whole other range of tools that just do the job better, faster, and cheaper.

but that's not why we're here...

They are. Easy to sharpen too.

I always debate whether to pick one up when I see them. I dunno, I guess I prefer a wood handle. Although I did use a double bit axe with a fiberglass handle. So light I could swing it forever it seemed. But I noticed it got dull rather quickly and after about 30 minutes my hands were all chewed up. Wasn't wearing gloves that day.

I love a good hatchet, most important of handle for me regardless of material is that it's comfortable, but more so good shock absorption/dissipation of energy in chop. It often has its rounds here, but as always a good +1 from me for a Becker Hatchet!

Yeah, my Fiskars X7 is a great little hatchet for the price.

Ah, Fiskars. Cheap (relatively), great performance and lifetime warranty. I like wood hafts better, but I can swing a Fiskars all day and not notice that the handle is FRN (or whatever). Great performance, easy to maintain....what's not to like?

This thread needs some more photos. Two great choppers:

14749071177_fcf7a4c504_b.jpg

And a whole host of others. The Boomslang (Condor) has a long handle and chops quite awesomely. To my eye, though, it's a nice handle design.

21379881911_4d57a06ecc_b.jpg

The TOPS Machete .230 also has a long handle....but doesn't chop as well as the 17" blade length might suggest, all though it does well.....just not great.

I always see the Fiskars pack axe (the tiny one) and I wonder how it would perform. Seems like it's too short to be anything other than a basher of wood instead of chopping.
Also, regarding the Fiskars Mike posted a pic of; is that a splitting head or a felling(?) head, or does it matter? I always thought slimmer axe heads were used for felling and chopping, and the thicker heads were used for splitting. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back