Scratching the Etching Itch

Quick update, I've got a large and a small design that's gonna do the trick.

Had to move to a simpler font. I'll revisit the swoopy swoop when I get some more etchig under my belt, I can't get it crisp enough yet.

The camera skewed these, they look like they're half italics. The top two are the most recent and really crisp to the eye. I gotta quit lookin at them through the Optivisor!

I think these are presentable, let me know what you think.

View attachment 1224581

I know this isn't the most excited thread but it's all part of the process. I recorded a video making the stencil and etching, I might add it later.

The top two look good John, is there any depth to them or is it just on the surface?

Quick update, I've got a large and a small design that's gonna do the trick.

Had to move to a simpler font. I'll revisit the swoopy swoop when I get some more etchig under my belt, I can't get it crisp enough yet.

The camera skewed these, they look like they're half italics. The top two are the most recent and really crisp to the eye. I gotta quit lookin at them through the Optivisor!

I think these are presentable, let me know what you think.

View attachment 1224581

I know this isn't the most excited thread but it's all part of the process. I recorded a video making the stencil and etching, I might add it later.

Those M's and W's are tough...get those figured out and the swoopy one is dynamite!

They've got some depth to them, you can feel them with your fingernail, I'd like to get a deeper etch especially for the larger knives. I haven't tried marking one without the etch yet.
Ok, so it won't rub off with use then.

Wanted to update this thread, I couldn't be more pleased with both the Mark440 Stencil Maker and the Personalizer Plus.

I can make a stencil in about 20 minutes and have a blade etched in about 15. Set up is the most time consuming part.

I'm still getting a feel for the settings on the etcher but I'm getting deep etches and solid marking on pretty low settings. I'm finding that more etch and less mark gets a good result for me.

If anyone has any questions about this stuff feel free to post in here or shoot me a message. I always have a hard time finding detailed info on equipment, it's aggravating.

Here's a couple of pics. These can all be felt with a fingernail and I doubt they would ever wear off.
View attachment 1305183 IMG_20200128_200432_836.jpg IMG_20200205_125607_611.jpg IMG_20191223_135312_233.jpg IMG_20191206_115514_026.jpg

Ok, a pretty dry video on how I make my stencils. If anyone has any questions let me know.

Back