Seax

Well I do know that I'm feeling a whole lot better now. I was beginning to hate myself for being such a buffet, but alas I was falsely accused and therefore not guilty of the aforementioned charges.

Sounds like cause for celebration to me. I'm bawanna and I don't hate myself. I sometimes think I'm stupid but I don't hate myself.

Sweet,

Nothing graceful about that knife, just a brute. It's awesome, thanks for posting!!

Oh I hope these become available again!

I noticed that on my seax, the high polish horn handle is a bit too slippery for my taste. One day, I was drinking some good ol fashioned burbon and I I decided to sand it free hand with 200 grit paper. I am kind of sad because it doesn't look as fancy anymore but I'll tell you what, It is grippier than micarta now!

Nothing wrong with giving horn a bit of a rough up:) Almost all of my users get hit with 600 grit. On a stabby, slightly slippery grip like the seax I don't think 200 is overkill.

I love the satin finish I put on one of my horn handles. The grip factor is night and day.

I just got this Seax today. Kevin_the_Professor was the maker. It is a long awaited companion to the langsax he made me a couple of years ago.
This is a big blade, came sharp as a razor. It would have done serious damage back in the Viking days. :)

Man Thats sweet:thumbup:
I just got this Seax today. Kevin_the_Professor was the maker. It is a long awaited companion to the langsax he made me a couple of years ago.
This is a big blade, came sharp as a razor. It would have done serious damage back in the Viking days. :)

beautiful flow to the blade. Not sure the blade would be considered big in this parcular group, but certainly well balanced look and the metal is beautiful. But until I see it next to the langsax I can't tell if it really is a proper companion piece... (hint hint another picture or 2 of them together would be even more drool worthy.)

Everybody see that Shavru said yall was parcular, I know she weren't talking about me. I'm on board on the want for a couple more pictures on account of I don't know what a langsax is. Sad thing that ya know?

I really dig damascus and you put stag on damascus and well I melt in your hand. Nothing finer than that.

Everybody see that Shavru said yall was parcular, I know she weren't talking about me. I'm on board on the want for a couple more pictures on account of I don't know what a langsax is. Sad thing that ya know?

I really dig damascus and you put stag on damascus and well I melt in your hand. Nothing finer than that.

LOL talk about a Freudian slip. I thought I was typing "Particular" Somehow the word got spelled wrong. though peculiar probably isn't so far off. I can tell because I seem to fit in and that must mean the group is peculiar LOL. Otherwise I wouldn't feel so at home. Is that Stag horn? It looked like wood to me, but I am a noob when it comes to horn types.

Heck I thought you was typing Peculiar, particular don't make no sense at all. I think that is wood (I could be wrong, it happened once before I think it was 1968) on Mannlichers beauty there, I just mentioned my love for stag in passing. Imagine that beautiful damascus blade with a nice stag handle. I near faint dead away just thinking about it.
It's a beauty with the wood handle too, no question about that.

... I'm on board on the want for a couple more pictures on account of I don't know what a langsax is. Sad thing that ya know?

View attachment 419052
LangSeax.jpg

hand forged langseax, 60cm. LOA

View attachment 419054
viking.jpg

matching Viking sword ÚLFUR 96cm. LOA (ulfur=wolf)

Last edited:
Interesting. All this discussion lead me to Wiki it (cats got nothing on me for curiosity) Here is the part that seemed to fill in the what? Why? How? questions for me the best.

Long seax – Blades are 50 cm or longer, often with multiple fullers and grooves, patternwelded blades, and long hilts. The edge is generally straight, or curved slightly towards the tip. The back either curves gently, or with a sharp angle towards the tip, which is located below the centerline of the blade.

The general trend, as one moves from the short to the broad seax, is that the blade becomes heavier, longer, broader and thicker. Long seaxes, which arrived at the end of the 7th century, were the longest of the seax. These were narrower and lighter than their predecessors. Initially, these weapons were found in combination with double-edged swords and were probably intended as side arm. From the 7th century onwards, seaxes became the main edged weapon (next to a francisca), sometimes in combination with small side-knives.

The rest of Europe (except for parts of Scandinavia) followed a similar development, although some types may not be very common depending on location. In England long seaxes appear later than on the continent and finds of long seaxes (as opposed to knives) remain very rare in comparison to finds of swords throughout the period

hey have any one you guys seen the viking sword documentary on netflix? If Not I suggest you watch it... its pretty awesome

Yes! No happy ending though. I was expecting to see the sword in action after the bladesmith was done with it.

beautiful flow to the blade. Not sure the blade would be considered big in this parcular group, but certainly well balanced look and the metal is beautiful. But until I see it next to the langsax I can't tell if it really is a proper companion piece... (hint hint another picture or 2 of them together would be even more drool worthy.)

Back