Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Hahah! I feel for you but I have to laugh, you’ve had the WORST 31 luck. This helps you save for possibly the magnacut version…

Well…now I’m just utterly disappointed.

CRK has said that the issues with the 31 are all figured out. I decided to pull the trigger on a L Micarta in S45V…mine is dated A21.
Just received it in the mail yesterday…and I am not happy. This is my third 31…first one had major issues and was sent back to the mothership. Came back in acceptable shape. Second one is an inlay and has lockflex but is acceptable, I guess.

This new 31 has lockflex…and…out of the box, 100% lockup. Lockbar looks 80% but the ball is touching the washer. Not impressed. This one is going back to the store.

Three strikes and your out. No more 31’s for me. 😕 Not sure why they had to go and change a good thing. It is what it is.

View attachment 1608101View attachment 1608102

THE 21 was about perfect, and any 'bugs' it had were long ago worked out..the flagship of the CRK line... the Inkosi has a similar set up to the 31 except handle and blade shape, and seemingly has had few issues... WHAT IN THE WORLD made the 31 a good idea in the line???!!!! Change for changes sake???!! It seems like if Ford decided to discontinue their pickups.

The periodic resurgence of this thread saves me money. 😉
I’m still probably going to give it a try if/when a CGG/UG comes along that I can’t resist.
The 31’s seem to fly off the Exchange pretty quickly, though I’m uncomfortable buying one without the backup of a dealer’s return policy. TBH, these days I’m kinda that way with most knife purchases though.

I gotta say that I feel for you Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery , and all the others. It sucks when an anticipated purchase doesn’t meet expectations.

My next CRK will be a CPM MagnaCut Inkosi. Just waiting for stock to turnover.

If I ever buy another CRK it will be a large PJ Inkosingo in MagnaCut.

I would want to see some more testing of this new steel though before even thinking about it.

I've had around a dozen 31s and haven't had any issues with any of them. I currently own 5 inlaid versions and all are good to go. The 31 has actually edged out just about everything else in my pocket.

That's not to say that other's experiences aren't valid. Mine have just been different.

I've had around a dozen 31s and haven't had any issues with any of them. I currently own 5 inlaid versions and all are good to go. The 31 has actually edged out just about everything else in my pocket.

That's not to say that other's experiences aren't valid. Mine have just been different.

My experiences as well, with both PJ, inlaid, and UG versions in both sizes. Love every one of them.

My experiences as well, with both PJ, inlaid, and UG versions in both sizes. Love every one of them.
I must say, I’m happy others experiences have been good.

I stopped back in to see if CRK figured out the inconsistency in their manufacturing of the 31 yet. Apparently not. As a customer of CRK since the 90's, I never thought I'd see such variability in their manufacturing. Shame, those micarta inlay 31s are looking so nice. Not nice enough to drop that much cash on a gamble though. Hopefully they'll sort it out sooner or later.
Thank you to everyone who posted their experiences.

I received my large 31 Box Elder in S45VN. Its perfect. Like actually perfect. No play in any direction. Took it apart, and it went back together like a Sebenza 21. I didn't have to apply any locktite or adjust the stop pin tightness to get smooth action.

So perfect still does exist. But its hit or miss still. I might have to send in my two early micarta 31's and have them worked on to get the tolerances corrected.

Back