Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

I've spent a lot of down time breaking in the action the last few evenings, opening and closing, and it's legitimately flexing less. It's flickable now, if that gives you any indication of where it's at. No longer concerned.

I've spent a lot of down time breaking in the action the last few evenings, opening and closing, and it's legitimately flexing less. It's flickable now, if that gives you any indication of where it's at. No longer concerned.

My large 31 didn’t have any discernible flex but I will say I noticed the lockup get more solid feeling the more I operated the knife. My Inkosi was the same way but it was even more apparent as the little groove for the ball to ride in on the blade tang worked it’s way over faster. As the % of lockup changes, I think the flex becomes less apparent with that subtle difference.

as mentioned above ... use your 31s they will not disappoint you, I have been using them for more than a year and this lock problem will not be noticed in normal use of the knife.

lock bar shouldn’t be moving over that quickly

Well it did, that’s usually part of the break in with one part being harder than the other. Its been noticeable on the 21 also as the lock face and blade tang slowly mated together after hundreds of opening and closings. We aren’t talking much, but maybe I’m more apt to notice this small detail than you would be.

I have a CRKT Eros, Ti framelock with no rocking, same with a 2011 sebenza and two Zeiba custom frame locks that are about the same price. No rocking. It may be inherent in the designs of Tim, but not so in the designs of Chris, Ken or Mike. Tim's a legacy; ever see one of his customs...

Well it did, that’s usually part of the break in with one part being harder than the other. Its been noticeable on the 21 also as the lock face and blade tang slowly mated together after hundreds of opening and closings. We aren’t talking much, but maybe I’m more apt to notice this small detail than you would be.
That's exactly what's happening and helping to stabilize it. I'll post a picture when I can take one, but it's very apparent on the blade Tang.

Got a small 31 s45vn. last Thursday. It came with a loose pivot screw, loose stop pin screw. Tighten it down. No play side to side but up and down play it has. Feels like “free space” in the pivot. Like the tolerances are off. Should not feel like this I thought. Started searching and came in this unending story. Birthdate 20 juli. A 21 lock scale.

Out off the box the lanyard was damaged from the edge of the knife and looks like the natural micarta was already darkened. It had grease all over the lockface.

Got a large inkosi insingo s45vn a couple of weeks ago that came with a loos stop pin. After tightening this it felt really solid and it still does.

Maybe send it back and go for a small inkosi. But the only have s35vn small inkosi in stock. Maybe a refund and wait for the next badge small 31 expected in April.

Got a small 31 s45vn. last Thursday. It came with a loose pivot screw, loose stop pin screw. Tighten it down. No play side to side but up and down play it has. Feels like “free space” in the pivot. Like the tolerances are off. Should not feel like this I thought. Started searching and came in this unending story. Birthdate 20 juli. A 21 lock scale.

Out off the box the lanyard was damaged from the edge of the knife and looks like the natural micarta was already darkened. It had grease all over the lockface.

Got a large inkosi insingo s45vn a couple of weeks ago that came with a loos stop pin. After tightening this it felt really solid and it still does.

Maybe send it back and go for a small inkosi. But the only have s35vn small inkosi in stock. Maybe a refund and wait for the next badge small 31 expected in April.
That sucks, dude. I can see why you'd want to return that knife. When you say "up and down" blade play, are you referring to the lock flex or something else? For what it's worth, both of my small 31s have a birth date in October, 2021 and say A21 on the scale. Both exhibit lock flex under pressure. I've personally accepted this about the small 31s but I understand why it bothers other CRK customers.

That sucks, dude. I can see why you'd want to return that knife. When you say "up and down" blade play, are you referring to the lock flex or something else? For what it's worth, both of my small 31s have a birth date in October, 2021 and say A21 on the scale. Both exhibit lock flex under pressure. I've personally accepted this about the small 31s but I understand why it bothers other CRK customers.
Little play before the flex. The flex is not a problem for me. It’s just that little free clicking sounding play

My large 31 didn’t have any discernible flex but I will say I noticed the lockup get more solid feeling the more I operated the knife. My Inkosi was the same way but it was even more apparent as the little groove for the ball to ride in on the blade tang worked it’s way over faster. As the % of lockup changes, I think the flex becomes less apparent with that subtle difference.
Did you only had flex? Or maybe free play before the flex what went away after breaking in? I personally think that flex is ok and normal with a framelock.

Sorry I am from Holland maybe my typing is like ass.
On the contrary, you're doing great. What you're describing is a flaw in the knife. I recognize that shipping it back to the U.S. is costly and time consuming, but the factory needs to rectify this problem.

Did you only had flex? Or maybe free play before the flex what went away after breaking in? I personally think that flex is ok and normal with a framelock.

It was very minimal, not as apparent as some of the videos shown. It took quite a bit more pressure to get it to move, which was totally fine by me, I’ve never pushed a blade in the opposite direction to cut something so it didn’t matter one bit.

It was very minimal, not as apparent as some of the videos shown. It took quite a bit more pressure to get it to move, which was totally fine by me, I’ve never pushed a blade in the opposite direction to cut something so it didn’t matter one bit.
Okay I think yours is fine than? I did my normal check side to side and up and down whit little pressure and I felt up and down play. Absolutely no side to side even with more pressure very sturdy and really smooth. Maybe I am expecting to much after handeling a large inkosi. Think in use it would be fine but I hate the feeling of it up and down. For a sub €500 knife.

Back