Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

In Holland that is. Ordered it last week an the knife was from juli. Next badge comes in April.
Knives in the states have been selling pretty quickly too. Wasn’t long ago CRK, Strider and many others had them sitting around at dealers everywhere.

Got a small 31 s45vn. last Thursday. It came with a loose pivot screw, loose stop pin screw. Tighten it down. No play side to side but up and down play it has. Feels like “free space” in the pivot. Like the tolerances are off. Should not feel like this I thought. Started searching and came in this unending story. Birthdate 20 juli. A 21 lock scale.

Out off the box the lanyard was damaged from the edge of the knife and looks like the natural micarta was already darkened. It had grease all over the lockface.

Got a large inkosi insingo s45vn a couple of weeks ago that came with a loos stop pin. After tightening this it felt really solid and it still does.

Maybe send it back and go for a small inkosi. But the only have s35vn small inkosi in stock. Maybe a refund and wait for the next badge small 31 expected in April.
So I got a new s31 with black micarta. D21 scales. Solid!! It is great!!!

So I got a new s31 with black micarta. D21 scales. Solid!! It is great!!!
Merry Christmas! When you find the opportunity, could you snap a picture of the inside of the lockbar scallops? I don't mean that you should disassemble the knife. I'm just curious about the position of the scallops relative to the hole.

Merry Christmas! When you find the opportunity, could you snap a picture of the inside of the lockbar scallops? I don't mean that you should disassemble the knife. I'm just curious about the position of the scallops relative to the hole.
Merry Christmas! They are like the ones in post 1554 and 1588. I snapped a picture bud I have no idea how to get it here

Both my small 31s had this flex to a small degree if you crank down on the tip like an idiot.

I have been carrying and using one of them for a few months now and it is barely there anymore, you have to really be forceful looking for it

And if you push with the same pressure on the tip of both my 21s they do it to a tiny degree as well

I think it's a non issue and i definitely prefer the 31 to the 21...

Both my small 31s had this flex to a small degree if you crank down on the tip like an idiot.

I have been carrying and using one of them for a few months now and it is barely there anymore, you have to really be forceful looking for it

And if you push with the same pressure on the tip of both my 21s they do it to a tiny degree as well

Exactly. I can force it to flex but it is way better than the one I got before. The Lockbar is much stiffer to in my new one. Really liking this great little knife.

Curious why you prefer the 31 (btw lock flex is not something I would be concerned about, but what do I know? I usually carry a slip joint…)

Curious why you prefer the 31 (btw lock flex is not something I would be concerned about, but what do I know? I usually carry a slip joint…)

Hello

My 31 feels smoother and nicer than i either of the 21s i currently have... I've had a bunch more in the past but can't remember accurately enough to compare - compulsive buyer and seller of knives unfortunately - i always thought sebs sucked after getting an inkosi but don't have that anymore to compare to either - so this might just be the 2 of each i have... but it feels really great and smooth

I prefer the feel of the single piece of micarta under my finger tips! Wouldn't matter for plain obviously. ..

There is a tiny bit more shaved out where index finger wraps over the lock bar which doesn't look like much but feels better

And the grind is much better - both the 21s i have are from the same batch and the tips are super thick, 31 is much better... I'll try to get a pic when home in a couple days, it's quite a noticeable difference

Hello

My 31 feels smoother and nicer than i either of the 21s i currently have... I've had a bunch more in the past but can't remember accurately enough to compare - compulsive buyer and seller of knives unfortunately - i always thought sebs sucked after getting an inkosi but don't have that anymore to compare to either - so this might just be the 2 of each i have... but it feels really great and smooth

I prefer the feel of the single piece of micarta under my finger tips! Wouldn't matter for plain obviously. ..

There is a tiny bit more shaved out where index finger wraps over the lock bar which doesn't look like much but feels better

And the grind is much better - both the 21s i have are from the same batch and the tips are super thick, 31 is much better... I'll try to get a pic when home in a couple days, it's quite a noticeable difference
Thanks for sharing your observations. Interested to see the grinds. I thought the 21/31 grinds were the same, but perhaps just variability.

Thanks for sharing your observations. Interested to see the grinds. I thought the 21/31 grinds were the same, but perhaps just variability.

I would've thought they'd be the same but the 2 of each i have are not... I'll try to get some tip pics up tomorrow

I would've thought they'd be the same but the 2 of each i have are not... I'll try to get some tip pics up tomorrow

The 31 has a better grind towards the tip, like there is the same amount of steel behind the edge all the way to the tip.

See 13:02 in this vid:

My 31 PJ boomerang damascus large seb has no wiggle or lock rock. Fantastic knife. Made in march.
The large knives seem to be immune to the lock flex, or at least they are consistent with what one expects from other frame locks. Congrats on a fine purchase. I'm sure it is a handsome knife!

For those who may have missed it, there was a recent thread in GKD where a member posted a short video of his small 31 "flexing" under what looks like fairly intense pressure, and then on the last page another member demonstrating the similar results when doing the same to his Inkosi.

sebenza-huge-blade-play

Back