Shaman sprint run?

LMAO, I didn't even get the email notice from DLT today. o_O Figures, this would happen on a day that I couldn't be near a computer. Whatever. :rolleyes: If indeed today was the main release of these for DLT, and they truly sold out that fast, this is a joke. I hope the flippers choke on these knives. :thumbsdown: :poop: I'd love to have one, but I can live without it.

I'm starting to have similar sentiments. I love my M4 Shaman, and would live without the CruCarta model if that's the way the chips fall. I spent less money on this really knice custom stacked leather bullnose fixed blade in 52100 today anyway. ;) :cool:

View attachment 1219367

Keep reading the thread as it got even worse as the day went on with more drops at other dealers! It got so silly and stupid that it now actually seems funny (or maybe I'm just high) :D

Congrats on getting a real knife in hand rather than humbly blanking out!

Keep reading the thread as it got even worse as the day went on with more drops at other dealers! It got so silly and stupid that it now actually seems funny (or maybe I'm just high) :D

Congrats on getting a real knife in hand rather than humbly blanking out!

Oh no, I read it all. Lame-o. o_O That's why I made the comment about the flippers choking on them. ;)

I for one won't break and pay the scalper price. If nobody else would, the flippers would wither away. If BBS is truly going to try and sell at the price mentioned earlier, that probably even worse. :poop: (I'd love to have the K390 PM2, but I absolutely refuse to do business with them, period. :thumbsdown:)

Jeeze this one has been hard to score. Do we know if they're all gone or is there a chance of a few more?

So what you guys are REALLY saying is the red spotted newt is much more easily found than the elusive Crucarta Shaman. ;) I’ve never seen one of those newts in my neck o the woods.

Cool pic Darby!

I agree it’s only a knife. This slow trickle style release is beyond my own comprehension though. It’s like throwing single water bottles in a crowd full of thirsty people. We all know everyone will not get one. This method of release just makes it so even less of those people get one. Hey maybe we are all crazy and this is some social experiment on Behalf of Spyderco. “ How far will they go to get this knife”? “Let’s see” . Haha

I agree that the slow motion release is just building anticipation and FOMO. Anyway, BHQ, GPK and others haven't posted theirs yet so there's still hope.
Lucky for me I'm not a huge fan of the Shaman.

Reactions: mb>
Oh no, I read it all. Lame-o. o_O That's why I made the comment about the flippers choking on them. ;)
I agree it’s only a knife. This slow trickle style release is beyond my own comprehension though.

As Sal will probably read this, I'll make this comment only here, and won't add to the echo chamber on the other side :)

When you follow several recent - including full production - releases, e.g., Smock, Ikuchi, PM2 and 3 in Maxamet, etc., they have a similar pattern: batches are smaller than they used to be, direct or indirect marketing is pushing stronger online via rumors, causing an online frenzy when knives become available, with most of the knives being purchased by scalpers. In parallel, many knives are becoming cheaper built than they used to be (who really needs a LW PM2 or Native 5, with M4 or Cruwear blades no less ...). So the CW Shaman was probably released in a 1000-2000 batch is my guess. How many do you guys think go to people who actually keep the knife longer than a couple of months ? How many are grabbed by store employees to turn around on ebay ?

And you can blame the scalpers, but my point is that the limited batches, and Spyderco's new marketing strategy in an obviously growing market are promoting that behavior. Spyderco is minimizing stock, maximizing the # of new releases (production, sprints, and exclusives) and effective prices are raised in the process, to (for me) unreasonable heights. Just think about the following: I have a like new 3V XM-18 that cost me pretty much the same as a CW Shaman would cost me today. Just in the last 12 months I bought like new Chinook 1, Tuff and K2 for less.

Having run my own company years ago, I look at companies like at people: you like some traits, you dislike some others, but overall you like or dislike a company, just like a person. As said in another thread, I was OK with Spyderco's lousy product support. But encouraging scalpers and moving away from making actual users is something else alltogether ...

Spyderco, I started buying your knives because it was great to get cool, high quality users and experiment with fancy steels, at what I thought was a fair price. I think you are morphing into something that I don't recognize anymore. I think you and me should take a break.

So there. Call it sour grapes, whatever. We can still be friends, you know :)

Roland.

So the CW Shaman was probably released in a 1000-2000 batch is my guess.

You don’t have to guess on this. It’s a Sprint, 1200 pieces.

I haven’t engaged in the recent angst driven criticisms because there are a lot of opinions to be had. And that’s all they are.

But to equate a successful knife company (and I’ll highlight we’re talking knife company here, not a soulless corporation that makes knives - there is a difference) making a product where demand far exceeds supply...to equate that relatively rare (for the knife industry) situation with promoting scalping...that is just a real stretch and I believe unfair to these good folks.

I get the frustration. I really do. Let’s not let emotion and FOMO get this blown so out of touch with reality though.

Reactions: AF
Just keep in mind what Sal posted a few pages back...

Hi Cursum Perficio,

The "right" number to make is always a challenge. We never now how the market will react to a model. I guess we'll see after they're all gone, whether or not to make some with a different color?

sal

So unless you're just dying for that specific color micarta, seems quite possible to me that there's going to be more available.

Also, it was stated that they never know how the market is going to react...

Is it at least possible that Spyderco was under contract to make the sprint run specifically as planned and not legally ABLE to produce more than that once they found out how feverish the response would be ???

Serious question.

Reactions: mb>

FFS. :mad: That's the THIRD notice from 3 different dealers that I did not receive. o_O This has definitely become a bad joke. :thumbsdown:

Just keep in mind what Sal posted a few pages back...

So unless you're just dying for that specific color micarta, seems quite possible to me that there's going to be more available.

Also, it was stated that they never know how the market is going to react...

Is it at least possible that Spyderco was under contract to make the sprint run specifically as planned and not legally ABLE to produce more than that once they found out how feverish the response would be ???

Serious question.

I doubt there's anything legal stopping them from making more, but only Sal can answer that.

I would be willing to forget this whole thing if I could get a BLUE DENIM CruCarta Shaman!!! :eek: :cool:

But to equate a successful knife company (and I’ll highlight we’re talking knife company here, not a soulless corporation that makes knives - there is a difference) making a product where demand far exceeds supply...to equate that relatively rare (for the knife industry) situation with promoting scalping...that is just a real stretch and I believe unfair to these good folks.

I get the frustration. I really do. Let’s not let emotion and FOMO get this blown so out of touch with reality though.

Was p*ssed yesterday, Mark, today I'm not so emotional anymore. I'm also not debating Spyderco's (financial) success. The fact is - I myself was promoting scalping by waiting online for another dealer to have the knife available. You can also look at it another way: the demand/scalping shows that release prices are too low. Now, is the CW Shaman really worth much more than $208 ? I feel not. Just don't want to play anymore. My name is Roland and I bought my last Spyderco a week ago. :)

Was p*ssed yesterday, Mark, today I'm not so emotional anymore. I'm also not debating Spyderco's (financial) success. The fact is - I myself was promoting scalping by waiting online for another dealer to have the knife available. Just don't want to play anymore. My name is Roland and I bought my last Spyderco a week ago. :)
You could start up your own knife company and show everyone how its done.

Was p*ssed yesterday, Mark, today I'm not so emotional anymore. I'm also not debating Spyderco's (financial) success. The fact is - I myself was promoting scalping by waiting online for another dealer to have the knife available. You can also look at it another way: the demand/scalping shows that release prices are too low. Now, is the CW Shaman really worth much more than $208 ? I feel not. Just don't want to play anymore. My name is Roland and I bought my last Spyderco a week ago. :)

Are you trying to purchase this knife? Didn't you say in another thread that you really dislike micarta? Called it disgusting I believe.

I get it man. :thumbsup: The frustration is real.

Are you trying to purchase this knife? Didn't you say in another thread that you really dislike micarta? Called it disgusting I believe.

I did & true. There are aftermarket scales though. Why I don't like Micarta, at least the coarse pattern ? Because it soaks up liquid like sweat, blood (kitchen), etc.

Back