Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

Chris Smith from Kentucky sent me this substantial fighter and his own sheath. I LOVED the angular facets intermingled with the soft rounded walnut handle. His low-count damascus steel is very visual.
xlarge.jpg

Rusty Waide (Triple C Knives) challenged anyone to have a more engaging set of mammoth ivory scales. WOW! He's from Missouri and so is Jody Muller who did his engraving on the copper bolsters.
xlarge.jpg

He drew upon sheathmaker Steve Brooks for a spectacular side-mounted belt sheath
xlarge.jpg

If you want versatility in design and materials, look NO further than KC Gray, from Tuscon, AZ. Each of these has a different personality.
xlarge.jpg

He used Alpha stag 'texture tech' material for great visuals and grip on this flipper framelock.
xlarge.jpg

What a sturdy and colorful 'liner lock' he's got going on. Great clip, too. One to watch!
xlarge.jpg

Susan, Trevor and I returned from Australia. We were flown out to cover photography for a Show by the Australian 'Knife Art Association' by it's principal board members. WOW!

I added a TON of images and impressions from the Sydney Knife Show in a separate thread (as I usually do with Shows).

The makers and Show were inescapably impressive. Read and view here:

Sydney Knife Show - 2019

Going further, I was surrounded with AMAZING people. The Makers from Australia were also 'tour guides' and 'Bed and Breakfast' hosts. We were pampered from being picked up at the Airport at 7:15am by Corin Urquhart, and shown the heart of the city through a ferry ride to Manly beach via the harbor, and then to climb up the Sydney Bridge Pylons.

He brought us to our luxurious hotel near the Show site, and that evening we went to a mysterious 'medieval' restaurant serving 'grub and grog' in a gloomy cellar atmosphere with a BUNCH of other attendees to the show. YUM!

We then spent three days setting up and shooting at the show. (In a VERY modern facility!) See link above.

Afterwards, Keith Fludder took over and whisked us about 40 miles (60km?) to Tahmoor, where he has a 'ranch' with his home and shop. It was another highlight to stay with him, and his charming wife Robynn in such a rural 'bush country' setting.

We chilled for a day going for a walk and more, and needed some down time. Because....

...The next day Corin met us again and we went north of Sydney to the Blue Mountains area, and his past scouting/trailguide experience had us visit 'Deep Pass', Wollemi Natl. Park, Glow Worm Tunnel, Govett's Leap promontory, and the Three Sisters Park. What an exhausting, exhilarating day.

Final day Keith and Robynn drove us to 'Symbio Wildlife Park' for an educational and CLOSE look at the legendary wildlife in Australia.

We left in the evening and arrived in LA for a little tour in our stayover. See the two images of iconic Hollywood.

Here are the photos I took from LAX to AUS and then back to LAX. I missed much, yet I captured a TON! Click below:

Australian Show, and Bush Country visit

Knife Content:

I was privileged to offer and have a LARGE group attend a seminar on my work and knife photography in general at the Show. Over 50 folks stuck around after the Show to listen in on my 30 min presentation with Q&A afterwards. I was told it was VERY informative and interesting.

xlarge.jpg

Toby Murrill (Murrill & Son Forge) has a thriving Youtube channel (Toby, Fire and Steel), and asked if I would sit still for a Q&A interview with Him at the Show. Well, alright! It was a bit of what I talked about in the seminar, and yet he kept it in his style. 20 mins of interview. You WILL learn a lot about me and my processes.

I also had the opportunity to sit in on a lively podcast with some of the makers in their new series: Knifemaking Down Under. It is on iTunes and Spotify I am told, and yet the link I will give you is also on Youtube:

Knifemaking DownUnder podcast, with Corin Urquhart, Keith Fludder, Kevin Slattery, Mert Tansu, and me. It's an hour of more good info and tall tales.

There is a LOT of stuff to go through if you wish. This is mostly self serving, yeah but who doesn't like captivating photos and smart information. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for watching!

Note: Testing a method that is quick and easy to transfer and copy my Instagram daily posts, right here.

It's a LOT of cut and paste (Including a sneaky Instagram image URL finder), but here's the result.

I will give it a whirl....

orig.jpg

@KASknives Ken Steigerwalt just COMMANDS our attention with this ‘Bauhaus’ sculpted folder. He’s THE master of this style and this particular piece was just sold at the prestigious AKI Show in San Diego.⁣
⁣⁣
⁣Look closely at the way the choil and the blade are cut from one piece of metal. ⁣
⁣⁣
⁣All you other makers are looking at this and going: “Whew….” Amiright?⁣
⁣⁣
⁣I just shot (4) smaller, more traditional (read affordable) versions of his sought-after knives and I will post a pair of them later today.⁣
⁣⁣
⁣Ken WILL be at the NYCKS in two weeks. See us there!

Last edited:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I promised to post TWO more of his sweetheart pocket knives. @KASknives Ken Steigerwalt sent me these and two. I will show two more sometime in thw near future. Yes, he makes VERY high end work. Yes, he makes affordable knives too!⁣
⁣⁣
⁣Available at the #NYCKS in two weeks!

Last edited:
Ron @Appleton_Knives carries a tradition of mesmerizing sculpted folders with the WILDEST of intricate locks and mechanics. The knives are always so organic, and yet the mechanical structure is so rigid and exacting.

Pressure on the two discs allow the blade to swing open, yet it LOCKS into place as soon as you release tension. How…??!!! It’s the best of BOTH worlds! This one from the past AKI show.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
He is one of the *most* revered makers in OUR world. THIS is why. @WolfgangLoerchner uses minimal or no power tools, and makes his own files to painstakingly and skillfully hand-make works of beauty, art, and function.

I know you agree. #AKI2019

orig.jpg

Last edited:
He is one of the *most* revered makers in OUR world. THIS is why. @WolfgangLoerchner uses minimal or no power tools, and makes his own files to painstakingly and skillfully hand-make works of beauty, art, and function.

I know you agree. #AKI2019

I spent many of my youthful years as a silversmith. I've never done chasing, chiseling, texturing or stamping on steel or Ti, but I've done many of the same kinds of design features in silver as this knife displays. Not only can I not fathom how such fine detail might be cut or stamped into whatever much harder material than silver the bolsters etc. are made of, I wouldn't have the first clue how to make my own files to accomplish the tasks. Just knowing that detail of Mr. Loerchner's processes while making a knife makes me respect his abilities before even seeing what he actually created while employing them. Plus, I'm a sucker for blue knives! In short, WOW!

Blues

Andreas Kalani Is *ready* for a Bushcraft outing! Read his important description: “This Bushcraft set primarily is for outdoor functions. It comes in handy when you’re camping in the wilderness and need good tools to fill your survival kit. You can use this set for cutting / carving wood, Hunting / Fishing, Starting a Fire, Cooking and much more…” Believe me, I was THOROUGHLY impressed as well.

orig.jpg

Kalani_191108B-wweb.jpg Kalani_191108C-wweb.jpg

Last edited:
Award-winning maker Anders @HogstromKnives *walks* away with the honors! This impossible bronze sword-cane artistry features a ‘Rooster-Hawk’ sculpted head.

Read about his build here:
Model: The Rooster Hawk (Sword cane)
BL/OAL: 23” / 36”
Material: Twist pattern @damasteelab
Forged_by: Damasteel stainless damascus
Bolster: Bronze Hawk’s head with Jet comb inlay and copper eyes
Handle: Bronze/ damasteel/copper twist-lock “neck”
Frame: Curly oak stick with bronze end ferrule and rubber tip
Knife Comments: The head was carved in wax, then cast. All work by me and done in house. No milling machines, CNC or the like was used in the creation of this piece.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Jim, your photo of that Loerchner piece is stunning. Great use of a complementary palette, really makes that thing pop

Lorien - Thank you. He's ALWAYS a fave to capture.

orig.jpg

Well, I’ll be….! This traditional slip-joint was just finished by Ken Steigerwalt @KASknives. They carry style cues from his more ornate art knives, yet are not out of reach by ‘regular’ collectors. He SURE knows how to please! (He will have it available at the NYCKS this weekend!)

Last edited:
Color me IMPRESSED! @JeremyKrammes_Knives has always used his wonderful sense of curves and artistry to create a dress ‘Urban Folder’ (my definition), which also has mechanics as functional as the looks are bold.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
I've absorbed enough of your work to know the jobs you REALLY like doing!

Lorien - Thank you. He's ALWAYS a fave to capture.

69744151_113838196528323_6817455484144972699_n.jpg

Well, I’ll be….! This traditional slip-joint was just finished by Ken Steigerwalt @KASknives. They carry style cues from his more ornate art knives, yet are not out of reach by ‘regular’ collectors. He SURE knows how to please! (He will have it available at the NYCKS this weekend!)

“Ay, Karambit!” @GrumpyCrowForge Andrew Geaslin, created a *fascinating* Karambit defense tool. It’s as potent as it is diminutive.⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣Read how he did it below:⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣Model: Snakebite Karambit⁣⁣
⁣⁣BL/OAL: 1.75”/5.75”⁣⁣
⁣⁣Material: 80crv2⁣⁣
⁣⁣Handle: Thuya burl with bronze pins⁣⁣
⁣⁣Frame: 80crv2⁣⁣
⁣⁣Knife Comments: Domed, bronze through pins hold a single piece of thuya burl (there are no scales)⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣He is now part of the uber-talented community, sharing space at #DragonsBreathForge. Congratulations! I have more to show from his skilled hands.⁣⁣

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. It's a *Trident*! @JamieLundell dives deep in his skillsets to create this otherworldly weapon of royal prominence. It's 6' long with the profound stem.

Wow! Bravo.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
@CarothersPerformance sure knows how to APPEAL! These similar utilities share steel and handle construction. One of them is antique micarta and the OTHER (hollow grind) is desert ironwood. Both have dark Micarta backing. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣Those cool milled handles have great ergos!⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣His availability is open only to those who follow his work when posted. Be READY!⁣⁣

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Complicated? Yes. Gratifying? CHECK! @grumpycrowforge attains one of *the* hardest hallmarks of a bladesmith: The ‘keyhole’ build.

Model: Bird and Trout Keyhole Hunter
BL/OAL: 4”/8.5”
Material: 1084
Bolster: 316 Stainless
Handle: Gaboon Ebony

Andrew Geaslin is new and TALENTED! Follow him.
#dragonsbreathforge

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back