Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

They DON'T get cleaner! @JohnYoungKnives is renowned for his RWL tributes. It's a style which never needs changing and never disappoints (When done SUPERBLY!)⁠

Model: Big Bear Fighter/ Chute Knife⁠
Material: CPM-154⁠
Bolster: Stainless Steel⁠
Handle: Maroon Micarta⁠

Young_210513A copy.jpg

So... Some of you have heard through my post on IG last week, that I took a NASTY fall on a bike ride and broke my hip joint. Two hospitals, six days, a team of eight surgeons and ten pins in a plate, and I'm pieced back together.

It's a different Summer than I envisioned. I HAD to cancel our return to the 2021 Blade Show. I can't be on my feet one hour with crutches, much less ten for three days.....

I am scheduled to go to Blade Show West and the Arkansas Show as they develop.

I got a LINE of my local friends and family standing by to help as needed. ALL I need it time to heal.

The LOSS of opportunity to capture images at The Blade Show is disappointing, yet will pass. I won't lose my stature.

I continue to work out of my studio in Norwalk, CT. (I have paused new work for two weeks as I recover physically.)

Thanks to ALL for the support and well wishes. I have NEVER gotten so many support responses on IG for my announcement post (280!)

Thoughts and prayers work: I'm doing GREAT! Thank you.

Jim

Best of luck and a speedy recovery! You will definitely be missed at Blade!!! No one makes a knife look better than you sir!!!!! Feel better.

James

So... Some of you have heard through my post on IG last week, that I took a NASTY fall on a bike ride and broke my hip joint. Two hospitals, six days, a team of eight surgeons and ten pins in a plate, and I'm pieced back together.

It's a different Summer than I envisioned. I HAD to cancel our return to the 2021 Blade Show. I can't be on my feet one hour with crutches, much less ten for three days.....

I am scheduled to go to Blade Show West and the Arkansas Show as they develop.

I got a LINE of my local friends and family standing by to help as needed. ALL I need it time to heal.

The LOSS of opportunity to capture images at The Blade Show is disappointing, yet will pass. I won't lose my stature.

I continue to work out of my studio in Norwalk, CT. (I have paused new work for two weeks as I recover physically.)

Thanks to ALL for the support and well wishes. I have NEVER gotten so many support responses on IG for my announcement post (280!)

Thoughts and prayers work: I'm doing GREAT! Thank you.

Jim
So Coop, what a bummer. I have had hip and knee surgery this past year. My ace in the hole has been this Elenker walker. It has hand brakes and parking brakes. Elbow rests and a chair. The gym bag holds cameras and frozen daquiris. <$200 delivered to your front porch. This thing lets you take the weight off your knees, hips, and lower back. It does lack a light booth attachment, but talk about increasing mobility.image.jpeg

The REAL deal! Bob Loveless and shop partner Jim Merritt were regarded with the highest of praise. ⁠

They have BOTH since passed on. Rare to have a 'Loveless/Merritt' marked blade, yet here we have one such example.⁠

Both of these smaller knives are fighters with sharpened clips.⁠

I love to include and show the signature when I get an example. Even Bob's script is 'old school' penmanship.⁠

Loveless_Merritt_KL01.jpg

Add some COLOR into our life! @Gavco_Knives Mike is renowned for his outstanding builds and eye-grabbing designs.⁠

There is hidden etching inside the well. Every area is attention getting.⁠

This brought to me by an astute client. Proud owner!⁠

Model: Great White "Timascus"⁠
Material: NJSB Nitro-V, Multi-Grind⁠
Frame: Alpha Knife Supply Black Timascus, Deep Etch⁠

Gavac_210517.jpg

So RICH! @_Salvatore_Puddu_ makes me LOVE our world. This intricate and INCREDIBLY accurate folder uses easily opening back-locks to secure.⁠

His rich polished grinds and those amber inlays are masterful if not magical!⁠

(I stated in an interview that the classic multi-blade folders are THE most dangerous to handle. This one is not so threatening.)⁠

Puddu_210511_KT.jpg

@SkiffMadeBlades I've watched Steve for 20 years. He ALWAYS over-delivers! Here are TWO of his terrific knives to admire.⁠

Model: Bandit "Full Dress"⁠
Material: DC18N "Thor"⁠
Forged_by: Damasteel⁠
Frame: Ti-6Al-4V Milled w. Matt Finish⁠

Model: Accomplice "Winter"⁠
Material: DC18N "Rose"⁠
Handle: White & Black CarboQuartz⁠
Frame: Ti-6Al-4V⁠

Skiff_210517B.jpg

OLD world, MODERN skills! Matt @Hopkins_Forge is one of THE most talented bladesmiths in our world. ⁠

He's also working with #DragonsBreathForge. They are home to who's/who of top-level forging. ⁠

Model: Gjermundbu Sword⁠
BL/OAL: 32.25"/39.5"⁠
Material: 80CRV2⁠
Bolster: wrought iron⁠
Handle: leather/wood⁠
Knife Comments: silver and bronze wire inlay in fittings⁠

Yes, that's all HIS inlay work. Whew.⁠
Berry_210520.jpg

OMG! 'BLADE SHOW WINNER: 'Best of the Rest'

Charles @GedraitisKnives combines HIS two passions; deep sea fishing, and his renowned folding knife skills.

This Marlin/Swordfish figural knife is impressively difficult. I am certain other knife makers will agree

He's been making outstanding customs for over 30 years, and this showcases his breadth of skill.

Yes, it's a fast auto, and includes his legendary file work and creamy mammoth.
Gedraitis_210521B-wweb.jpgGedraitis_210521C-wweb.jpg

Here's the LATEST versions of @rjmartinknives incredible Q36 folders.

This design and build has won numerous 'Best Tactical' Awards for good reason.

Once you snap this open, it has such authority and commanding lockup, that you understand it's prominence.

MartinRJ_210520G.jpg

Bob Engnath YAKIBA tribute! Bob @ApplebyKnives began with an old Bob Engnath blade, and created a masterful 'modern' knife for a valued client.⁠

Bob Engnath passed away in 1998 and made thousands of knives and many thousands of blades to be used by others. He is renowned in the knife World for getting so many people started.

Model: Bob Engnath Yakiba blade, HIRA ZUKURI⁠
BL/OAL: 10, 14 3/4⁠
Material: 1045/1050⁠
Bolster: Bronze/wrought iron⁠
Handle: maple core, Samegawa, Ito cord wrap⁠
Sheath: Bob appleby⁠
Knife Comments: Blade made by Bob Engnath everything else made by Bob Appleby.⁠

Appleby_210520.jpg

Design it WELL. Build it RIGHT. Repeat. @GarethBullKnives from So. Africa is a family-run knifemaking team, and delivers EXACTLY as promised.⁠

Model: Shamwari "2020"⁠
Material: DC18N "Odins Eye"⁠
Handle: Alpha Knife Supply Black Timascus, "Moire II/Nebula"⁠
Frame: Ti-6Al-4V, "Bright" Starbrite Glass Bead Blasted⁠

Bull_210517.jpg

I'm IMPRESSED... but *not* surprised! Chuck @GedraitisKnives tells me this is his FIRST figural folder (And, it's a fast action auto!)⁠

It also includes his signature engaging filework.⁠

Model: Alicanto⁠
BL/OAL: 4-3/4in⁠
Material: Jerry Rados Turkish Twist damascus⁠
Bolster: Random pattern damascus⁠
Handle: Fossil Mammoth ivory⁠
Frame: Titanium⁠
Knife Comments: This is my first figural knife. Titanium liners, spacer and spring. Damascus latch.⁠

Gedraitis_210521A.jpg

L36 'Eagle' by @AndreThorburn includes captivating engraving by wife Marietjie!⁠

YES, that's antique Westinghouse Micarta. Old stock!⁠

Andre's flippers are dependably built, rock-solid, and highly sought-after.⁠

Model: L36 M "Eagle"⁠
Material: ZDI-1016 "Feather"⁠
Forged_by: Zladinox⁠
Bolster: Zirconium⁠
Handle: Westinghouse Antique Ivorite (Paper) Micarta⁠
Frame: Ti-6Al-4V⁠

Thorburn_210517.jpg

Back