Sharpening/Thinning Clad Knives...Am I Just Being Dumb?

My wife loves her VG-10 Shuns and if they are on the soft side they sure are chippy. I have always sharpened them on Arks, no problem at all(for a bunch of years). I thought VG10 was usually run around 60-62?
My stones aren't any good and neither are my knifes. Seen the same thing happen to my rifles. ;)

Arkansas stones are a poor choice for VG-10 due to the low hardness of the abrasive grains. I'd suggest switching to synthetics. :)

It's worked for years. I don't need your stones. :D

I don't care whose stones you use. I'm saying you'll get better results from a harder abrasive. You can even use wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of glass or wrapped around a paint stirring stick. Silicon dioxide is softer than chromium carbides, and you're likely prematurely fatiguing your edges as a result, leading to lower edge retention than it would otherwise have. Not to mention just taking longer than it would with a harder abrasive that's more readily able to abrade the high-alloy steel.

I don't care whose stones you use. I'm saying you'll get better results from a harder abrasive. You can even use wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of glass or wrapped around a paint stirring stick. Silicon dioxide is softer than chromium carbides, and you're likely prematurely fatiguing your edges as a result, leading to lower edge retention than it would otherwise have. Not to mention just taking longer than it would with a harder abrasive that's more readily able to abrade the high-alloy steel.
I guess you missed the part where I said I am having no issues? Nope none at all. The only one that is having issues is you with my choice of equipment. o_O

I guess you missed the part where I said I am having no issues? Nope none at all. The only one that is having issues is you with my choice of equipment. o_O

Not having an issue...just suggesting you'd probably experience improved results using a different method. Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that the process nor results are optimum. You do you, though. :)

Not having an issue...just suggesting you'd probably experience improved results using a different method. Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that the process nor results are optimum. You do you, though. :)
Your awful presumptuous and I don't really care what you recommend. You already knew that. :p

Your awful presumptuous and I don't really care what you recommend. You already knew that. :p

It's how abrasion works, but okay. Not sure why you've had such an attitude lately, but I'd suggest putting me on your ignore list seeing as how you've been so unnecessarily testy towards me recently. Oh well--just trying help ya' out. :confused: **shrug**

It's how abrasion works, but okay. Not sure why you've had such an attitude lately, but I'd suggest putting me on your ignore list seeing as how you've been so unnecessarily testy towards me recently. Oh well--just trying help ya' out. :confused: **shrug**
Now your a victim? LOL!
There is a certain advantage to trying things before you go asking for advice on internet forms. My wife's Shuns in VG-10 are no problem for my Arks.:)
I have never ignored anyone on here and your not special. Sorry. :D

Now your a victim? LOL!
There is a certain advantage to trying things before you go asking for advice on internet forms. My wife's Shuns in VG-10 are no problem for my Arks.:)
I have never ignored anyone on here and your not special. Sorry. :D

Not a victim...just baffled by your sour attitude. Hope you'll give synthetics a go on that VG-10 someday, though--it's a trivial experiment than can cost pennies to try and would be a much better match of abrasive and material. I don't have anything against natural stones, but they do best when reserved for either low-alloy steels or for nothing "heavier" than light final honing strokes on higher alloy steels, of which VG-10 is one.

Consider me as formally disengaging from conversation with you at this point. Have a great evening.

Not a victim...just baffled by your sour attitude. Hope you'll give synthetics a go on that VG-10 someday, though--it's a trivial experiment than can cost pennies to try and would be a much better match of abrasive and material. I don't have anything against natural stones, but they do best when reserved for either low-alloy steels or for nothing "heavier" than light final honing strokes on higher alloy steels, of which VG-10 is one.

Consider me as formally disengaging from conversation with you at this point. Have a great evening.
There you go again being presumptuous and trying to start crap. What makes you think I don't have synthetics?
I now understand how you got banned from that other forum.
BTW They had a pretty good review of one of your stones and costumer support the other day. :D

Who would recommend body weight knife sharpening? Probably an expert in the field. Found on the net.

American Mutt stone. As described by @FortyTwoBlades

"They are intended to be used with high pressure, and you should be bearing down on them with body weight in use to avoid glazing, as well as using them lubricated with water or oil. They will not remain as aggressive as they were in the as-fired state because they lose their varied surface texture in use, and this is normal for bonded stones. With sufficiently heavy pressure they will shed grit as intended, but if they glaze you can refresh the surface with a coarse diamond plate."

I think that should be enough said on the subject.

G garry3 I've used Arkansas stones for decades and I've tried a whole lot of stuff over the years so I'm not just jumping on the internet and asking for advice. It's that experience that lead me to be hesitant to begin with and why I've refrained from doing it.

But the thing is, I also recognize that lots of folks have tried lots of stuff and have knowledge and experience to share so why not tap into that? These folks have always been generous, informative, and honest with me. We don't always agree but I respect them very much for taking the time to engage me and I've learned a lot.

It's a shame you jumped into this pleasant conversation with an attitude. You have no desire to help or educate, just take digs at the members who are trying to help and educate.

What a dick this Gary is. I can bake a cake over an open fire and have done so more than once. The same cake formula comes out significantly better in a vulcan deck oven.
We are talking about thinning out a chef knife. Arkansas stones belong nowhere in the conversation except as an exercise in futility.
Dumb, and just looking to pick a fight, nice work Gaaaaary, get back to us after you get back from market with your ox cart.

Russ

I just read his thread starters and now I feel bad, I can give you my dad's email, he is an 91 year old electrical engineering professor, you can chat about the good old days, when we cut wood with an axe instead of a 7 horsepower husqvarna.

Russ

Back