Sheepfoot experiment.

I spent a lot of time staring at the photos of the old pocket knives of the steamship Arabia. Sunk in the middle of the 19th century, it was a time capsule of the mid 1800's as far as pocket knives go. Being buried in the mud for over a century did a very good job of preserving the knives, some looking like they could be put back into service today with a little oiling and a touch on a stone.

The one thing that stood out me was, the large numbers of sheep foot/wharncliff blades. The medium size single blade sheep foot seemed to be the most common with the spear point being right up there with it. I'm curious by nature, and being a hopeless romantic of the past, I decided on an experiment of my own.

I bought a Victoriox florist knife at a gun show for my own use. I dropped it in my pocket a few months ago and had been using as my main pocket knife. I was curious as to how the sheep foot would work out on an everyday basis. I do know that with my old Buck 301 stockman I carried for 25 years, the sheep foot was my most used blade for general cutting. The strait edge was very easy to sharpen, the blade has a strong yet fine point, and it humps up there so it's easy to pinch open.

It's been an eye opener. If I say sort of, it's only because it didn't surprise me how nice it was for an everyday carry pocket knife. I was using a Case mini copperhead for a while, so I wasn't too surprised. But the Victorinox was even nicer. The wider full flat blade came down to a very very fine edge that was a thin chisel grind. The final blade edge is so thin that it's like an Opinel, only without the fiddley do-it-yourself finishing that sort of works. The Victoriox florist knife is a slicer and dicer on par with a freshly sharpened Opinel, weather proof, built with real metal liners and nylon scales for a very rugged yet light weight unit. A unit that cuts like the dickens.

I've found the Victorinox sheep foot to be great for opening packages, cutting anything a regular pocket knife would be used for, and able to be scrubbed down in the kitchen sink with no problem. The thing to get used to is how fast the blade goes through stuff. Be careful to keep fingers out of the way. I whittled on some good hard dry Texas cedar with it and the edge held up good. Jute twine and cardboard were childs play for the knife. Breaking down a large cardboard box to fit in the recycle bin was like the proverbial knife through warm butter. A fresh bagel was easy.

One nice thing about the slip joint with a sheep foot; if you have to press down with the point to make a starter hole for a wood screw, or pierce a plastic package or seal of some sort, the fact of the knife being held at a 45 degree angle to bring the fine tip to play, puts pressure on the blade in the direction of the opening the blade so the dynamic forces keep the blade from closing as good as if it were a lock blade. Using the point on a sheepfoot/wharncliffe is easier and safer than a clip or spearpoint because of the angle you us the point at. Maybe thats why they were so popular in the old day. The sheep foot blade on a pocket knife is actually way more versatile than you would think from it's shape. But maybe that's why our English cousins are so fond of the lambs foot knife that is almost a trademark of the British cutlery industry of the past. All those old British military clasp knives had the sheepsfoot blade they saw some very hard service for The Empire in some far flung harsh places.

I've been very impressed with this Victorinox florist, but then Victorinox makes a good product. It's even available is some choices of colors that can't get lost very easy in the woods or crowded work bench. I've got the standard red, but you can get yellow, pink, green, blue, and even purple. I'm going to California again in April, and I think the granddaughter is going to want one, and purple is a favorite color of hers. She's already got a Victorinox classic in purple, a Fenix E01 in purple. I think there may be a purple Victorinox florist in her future.

Oh, I found out that it opens up fish bellies very good on the San Gabriel river as well. Did I mention that it cuts like the dickens?

I just may have to get an old British clasp knife!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.
I've never given a straight-edge primary, much less solo, a fair shake.

Carl, I was never a fan of the sheepfoot as a single blade, or even as the main on a multi-blade knife. To me it was perfect as found on a stockman, short and stout. Even on the largest stockman, the sheepfoot is never over about 2¼" long, which gives great control. As such, it does get used a lot, especially at work. At meals or at home, the clip seems to get more use. I finally tried the Real Lamb Foot knife as a single blade, and because of it's more tapered tip it proved more generally useful than a single blade sheepfoot.
But, it's without doubt that an awful lot of work can be done with a sheepfoot the size of the Vic Florist. I wish they made it in alox!

I don't think you'd like those old British clasp knives Carl. Too strongly sprung. May I suggest the old Camillus sailors' knives?

29684403716_f1d2334ae2_c.jpg

Good analysis Carl. I believe the reason spear and clip points are more popular is aesthetics. They simply look better. I was of the same opinion and probably still am. My recent acquisition of the 2019 Ironwood Lambs Foot notwithstanding my only other straight edge blade was a GEC 25 with a sheeps foot blade. Like you found out, cardboard ran from that thing and the straight edge makes it very easy to sharpen. Yet, I still sold it. It was form over function. It was fugly. I should reacquire one.IMG_4482-839x625.JPG

I modded one of the clip blades in a Case CV muskrat into a wharncliffe and it's probably the most carried and used blade in my EDC at this point. --KV

Nice post J jackknife
One thing I learned here about the British fondness of sheepfoot over clip or spear points is the lack of a hunting tradition among common folk there. @Jack Black mentioned this in a thread I forget the location of.

Sheepfoot blades do appear to be great utility-type knives (modern utility / razor knives are a pretty close approximation), but they would be poor skinners. That's probably why no one could ever imagine a Buck 110 offered with a sheepfoot.

And probably why the Buck 110 with its familiar clip point was once the most popular knife in America.

I love learning how culture has influenced our knives.

Nice post J jackknife
One thing I learned here about the British fondness of sheepfoot over clip or spear points is the lack of a hunting tradition among common folk there. @Jack Black mentioned this in a thread I forget the location of.

Sheepfoot blades do appear to be great utility-type knives (modern utility / razor knives are a pretty close approximation), but they would be poor skinners. That's probably why no one could ever imagine a Buck 110 offered with a sheepfoot.

And probably why the Buck 110 with its familiar clip point was once the most popular knife in America.

I love learning how culture has influenced our knives.

Culture may indeed have a lot to do with it. I haven't hunted decades, but I love to fish. I'm sure if you went way back, the English and most European peasants didn't hunt. Inmost places hunting was the prerogative of the nobles, and if I'm not mistaken, a lowly peasant found with one of his Lordship's deer was a hanging offense.

Given the primitive frontier of the colonies in North America, hunting was needed to avoid starving. Guns became a must have item as was knives suited for skinning game, and fighting hostile Indians when needed. Thus a clipped or spear point that would penetrate hide and body of whatever was needed to penetrate. I think the culture of medieval England would have been such that the nobles would have 'discouraged' peasants from pointy weapons or even projectile weapons like longbows and crossbows.

A vastly different culture to be sure! England has about a thousand year head start on us. When the Magna Carta was being signed, the new world hadn't even been discovered yet. When Shakespeare was writing plays, the first colonists were hacking out a settlement at Jamestown. A heck a difference.

Culture may indeed have a lot to do with it. I haven't hunted decades, but I love to fish. I'm sure if you went way back, the English and most European peasants didn't hunt. Inmost places hunting was the prerogative of the nobles, and if I'm not mistaken, a lowly peasant found with one of his Lordship's deer was a hanging offense.

Given the primitive frontier of the colonies in North America, hunting was needed to avoid starving. Guns became a must have item as was knives suited for skinning game, and fighting hostile Indians when needed. Thus a clipped or spear point that would penetrate hide and body of whatever was needed to penetrate. I think the culture of medieval England would have been such that the nobles would have 'discouraged' peasants from pointy weapons or even projectile weapons like longbows and crossbows.

A vastly different culture to be sure! England has about a thousand year head start on us. When the Magna Carta was being signed, the new world hadn't even been discovered yet. When Shakespeare was writing plays, the first colonists were hacking out a settlement at Jamestown. A heck a difference.
Yes, a lot of difference between cultures.
It's something that escaped me until Mr Black mentioned it.
But imagining a Buck 110 with a sheepfoot is my own. Funny how this was never offered by Buck.

And you're right about pointy things more necessary in America for defense. The Bowie knife comes to mind.

The Case 6217 Curved Jack/Half Hawk/Loom Fixer is a very stout knife and I like carrying one around the place for heavy work. Heck, it even made a great gasket scraper when I was rebuilding a riding mower engine.

zfgwSkR.jpg

Iubf0IZ.jpg

1tZGU2G.jpg

I haven't tried a Victorinox Florist's Knife as I've never run across one. Maybe I'll go to an auction site, get one and try it out.

Here is a picture you talked about in your initial post Carl. Can't edit the size.

ga4h0ot.jpg

The Case 6217 Curved Jack/Half Hawk/Loom Fixer is a very stout knife and I like carrying one around the place for heavy work. Heck, it even made a great gasket scraper when I was rebuilding a riding mower engine.

zfgwSkR.jpg

Iubf0IZ.jpg

1tZGU2G.jpg

I haven't tried a Victorinox Florist's Knife as I've never run across one. Maybe I'll go to an auction site, get one and try it out.

Here is a picture you talked about in your initial post Carl. Can't edit the size.

ga4h0ot.jpg

If you google "steamship Arabia" you get more photos of different knife displays. Theres more than just the one pic, and in all the pics, the sheep foot seems to be a common knife blade of the period. It's kind of interesting though, the smaller pocket knives seem to run to congress pattern.

Last edited:
If you google "steamship Arabia" you get more photos of different knife displays. Theres more than jus tithe tone pic, and in all the pics, the sheep foot seems to be a common knife blade of the period. It's kind of interesting though, the smaller pocket knives seem to run to congress pattern.

Yes, I knew that Carl but that's the only picture I had handy in my Knife File in my computer. You are correct too about the Congress pattern. It seems they were very popular in those days. Thanks for the heads up on the Google search title.

A thoughtful treatise, based on real-world usage Carl - thanks!
I am glad you also mentioned the Lamb Foot. There is a lot about them that matches the Sheepfoot's versatility. I am always amazed that the Lamb Foot is hardly ever mentioned in the American lexicon.

Nice read, Jackknife. I used to think that if I could have only one blade shape, I'd want it to be a clip. But over the last couple of years I've come to the realization that when given a choice, I reach for a sheepsfoot or wharncilffe 99.9% of the time.

The only knives I really carry are sheepsfoot a GEC 47 and my Insingo CRK's both Nayala and Sebenza.

My recent foray in *other made me like my older knives even better

Back