1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sheepfoot experiment.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I think that thread is actually another one of Carl's :) I believe there is a link to it in the Lambsfoot thread :thumbsup:

You are right Carl, even a rabbit would get you hanged in some circumstances :eek: The nobles didn't mind us carrying pointy weapons and projectile weapons when we were fighting wars for them though :rolleyes:

If you look back at the earliest knives, there are far more straight-edged blades than anything else. Here's a couple from the Iron Age :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots more similar discussion in the (indexed) Lambsfoot thread :thumbsup:

2. solphilos

solphilos Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I'm quite fond of my Vic florists knife. Very light, wonderful action and easy as can be to sharpen.
    For my day to day needs a Sheepsfoot/Lambsfoot/Wharncliffe is all I need. I don't cut food or skin animals, and outside that I've never found a need for a clip, drop or spearpoint. I love a good clip, but totally unnecessary.

3. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    One reason I can think of that spear and clip points are popular is; when the tip is on the opposite side from the spine as on a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe the thicknese of the bladestock is at its thinnest where the tip is.

Even though sheeps foot tip is a more obtuse point when viewing the flat of the knife, when looking down at the spine is very thin at the point because of tip location.

Pinemoon likes this.
  4. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thing is, I like all blades really except the Spey. I don't like to get tied down to just one pattern or blade so it is interesting and rewarding to change your usual carries and discover new areas for appreciation. So too with the blade, straight edges - Wharncliffe, Lambfoot, Sheepfoot have a lot of utility and they don't exactly look ugly either ;) I had a SAK Florist that was a present from a former member here, but unfortunately I dropped it somewhere and the Arctic winter and spring mire engulfed it:( Would like to get another though.. A small Sheepfoot as in the case of the GEC 25 is a robust but compact carry, some may not take to its rather short bloated look but it's a credible user, prefer knives without EO notches but not sure the Sheepfoot came without it?

[​IMG]

5. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Interesting post, thanks.
    Straight edges are probably easier to make than curvy. Wondering if that is why they are found on early blades.

There is so much to learn.

Prester John and Jack Black like this.
  6. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Do a Google image search for “competition cutter.” You’ll see a bunch of them.

As for the Victorinox Florist (AKA “Gardener” AKA “Twine”)...I’m a fan. They’re tough as nails and slice like a demon.

B6AA3D8B-2247-4512-87EE-7942AA2871A7.jpeg

Dschal, sitflyer, Dr-Mabuse and 4 others like this.
  7. Gurdygurds

Gurdygurds Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Cool post. For whatever reason I've always been drawn to the sheepsfoot\wharncliffe style blade and I often break out the dremel to get the blade shape I like. Here is my most recent. Victorinox Waiter.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Dschal, sitflyer, Pinemoon and 2 others like this.
  8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The Victorinox Gardner is a great affordable knife which they still offer today.
    I used mine quite a bit as a teenager as a utility knife for various craft type projects.

I know on my 34OT the sheep's foot was the most used, in part because it was just a handy blade but also because it sat very high making the knife uncomfortable to hold unless it was the blade I was using.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  9. Txjohn

Txjohn Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 24, 2013
    IMG_6006.jpg

10. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    What always gets me, looking at the "Arabia" collection, is the large percentage of Congress patterns. I get a serious case of the "wants"...

11. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Carl, thanks for publishing the results of your experiment. I found your experiences to be very relevant, since I've had my eye on the Vic florist model (and the Vic Daypackers, that I think are usually clip blades) for quite a while now. The online photos I see seem to show that the sheepsfoot blade is actually quite a bit shorter than the handle itself (I think vendors always state that the knife is 4" closed). Is that correct?

- GT

12. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    Victorinox florist is awesome little pocket knife,inexpensive and excellent quality,razor sharp and easy to sharpen it,im getting Otter Messer sheepsfoot in stainless or carbon

13. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Yes, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, it's a little off balanced looking. But the overall package performs soooo well, that it's a very easy knife to fall in love with. The handle is slim, and carries very well in a pocket, but the cigar shape fits the hand so well in a variety of grips. And if you need to really glomp down on it to cut through a branch out in the yard, it's just enough length to really grip hard.

I avoided them for so long as I really didn't care for the looks, but at the gun show it was on a table with some other well used pocket knives and priced so low, it was a must-buy. Now if it got lost, I'd buy another one in a heart beat. It's worked so well at everything from slicing an apple to cutting bait, to breaking down a ox for recycle. Only now after using it, I understand why the shepfoot was so popular in the 1800's for working folks. And it's so light weight you can forget it's there.

Go get one. You'll love it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

sitflyer, Dr-Mabuse, Pomsbz and 3 others like this.
  14. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    As Jack Black already basically mentioned, a seax is kind of a big ol' sheepsfoot. I think ease of manufacture and sharpening had a lot to do with that.

[​IMG]

15. lans8939

lans8939 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Charlie we need a run of lambfoot blades. So few produced outside of England. Hint, Hint.

When I go to place a blade in my pocket most of the time it’s a wharncliffe, sheep or lamb foot just find as a single blade suits most of my uses. If I hunted perhaps a clip would be more useful.

Jack Black likes this.
  16. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes...
    I should clarify what I meant.
    A few have commented that there are big "Bowie-type" sheepfoot blades out there.
    I recognize this. What I was thinking when I posted that was context. In the early American frontier, no one had large sheepfoot blades on their belts.
    Typically Bowies or other large clip points.

17. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    I was just BS'ing. It was a good excuse for a picture of a seax.

Henry Beige likes this.
  18. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    ^ yes :thumbsup:
    :)

19. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    Another popular sheep's foot is the Klein wire stripper knife.Extremely popular with cable man,telephone techs etc.I picked a cheap version on a impulse great carver/utility blade

20. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    0328191231.jpg Someone say Klein?:D although when I looked it up Klein refers to this as a coping blade. This knife isn't very large, I'm not home so I don't have it to measure. But it is quite stout.
    Edit: I used Google-fu and its a 2-1/4 inch blade