Sheeple knife

I would suggest a medium sized (93mm I believe) Vic SAK such as the Pioneer or Tinker. The Classic is too small to do any serious cutting.

I keep a victorinox rambler with me every day. Same innocuous size as the classic, just barely thicker, and you get a real phillips screwdriver and bottle opener.

some kind of case knife i.e. peanut, stockman etc or a sak will do the job just fine for just a single blade i have found the victorinox alox solo to be a great edc

SAK or small Spyderco would work.

It's also not the knife that can scare people, it's how you pull it out and use it. Two handing your Military will be a lot less intimidating than flicking it out. Someone may comment on the size but I doubt they would be startled from it.

I keep a victorinox rambler with me every day. Same innocuous size as the classic, just barely thicker, and you get a real phillips screwdriver and bottle opener.

Good item, non-scary for non-knife people. Ditto the Classic, and perhaps even the Cadet/Recruit, but these are pushing the limit for size. Obviously, the crowd you go amongst will vary in its response to knives, but smallish SAKs are generally a good bet.

I'll go against the popular opinion and not recommend a SAK, they def look safe and are accepted but the nail nick and sometimes strong spring are not for sheeple. I've seen them slip and cut fingers. I would also go with the Spyderco squeak, easy to open large spyderhole with two hands and very light.

I used a Schrade Uncle Henry for this purpose for a long time. I just don't particularly care anymore. Legal is legal.

Didn't know about this one. Love it!

Zieg

seriosly get a small sak. even the roadie is to high-tech / value for a sheeple, plus the sak is very none threatening.

How about a Spyderco Grasshopper? MUCH cheaper than the Roadie is.

Other than that, a Victorinox is a great choice.

I think most people know how to operate a lockback knife these days and it is safer to use.

That's what I thought too, but you'd be surprised at how many assume it's a slipjoint and try to force it closed and then handing it back still opened.

I work in an office and frequently open boxes, so most of the staff knows I have a small knife in my pocket.
Whenever someone needs a knife, they ask me for mine.

I carry inexpensive Rough Rider slipjoints to the office and hand then out without worry.
If someone says they like it, or asks where I got it, I give it to them.

They cost about 8$ -10$
Not to mention they're actually more useful than bigger knives ( for my purposes).
and a cheap 3.5" whittler saved my butt in the server room last week...

Gil hibben raptor. Come on it had to be said. Honestly I would look at swiss army knives or leatherman type multitools. These types of tools dilute the overall impact the knife blade is going to make. In fact when those who dont care for the fact that I carry a knife they consider to be overly aggressive many actually ask why I dont simply carry a leatherman if I really am wanting just a tool. So I would say that or the SAK would make an excellent option that would also offer the user extra functionality.

One way to look at it is this - what bad results do you want to avoid when you loan someone a knife? You don't want him to cut himself. You don't want 'fraidy cats in the office to freak out. You don't want to cry if he ruins the blade or loses it or never returns it. That pretty much means you want something very small and very cheap. So I like Mr. Jackknife's suggestion of a Victorinox Classic. Or maybe a Leatherman Style CS. But the Classic is really the best bet, because you can get them used on eBay for cheap, and they fulfill the other elements you want in a loaner knife. If you are in a warehouse environment and your loaner requires a larger blade, then you can move up the food chain a little.

One more thing: It's been said before, and I can attest to this myself, that lending out a small innocuous slipjoint to someone who honestly needs it is one of that best ways to act as as kind, nonjudgemental, and respectful ambassador of this hobby/lifestyle we live as knife aficionados. When I worked in an office and carried a small SAK Tinker I lent it to a younger colleague for a day. He brought it back just before the end of the day, asked me what model it was as he wanted one just like it. The next morning he came back with one still in the box, opened it at my desk, and smiled like the kid he was at that moment. I asked him, "Didn't you have a Swiss Army Knife before now?" He said he never had knives or tools or the like in the house growing up. His "dad never taught him any of that stuff." I felt like an adopted uncle. And I made a small difference in the world by helping a young man become a bit more self-sufficient. Since than, this has happened twice more, once with an older man, believe it or not, who missed out on knives somehow. Again with a woman, whose parents had had lots of knives and tools and were themselves rural folks growing up but who herself was a city girl and just never cottoned to having a small pocketknife handy. She now has an SAK Classic clipped in her briefcase all the time. She also likes her N°8 Opinel. I know because she's now my wife.

So don't listen to the "Never lend a knife out" crowd. It's not just a favor you're doing, it's a mitzvah. I suppose in Yiddish, we'd say, "Seyt a messermench! "Be a knife-carrying gentleman!"

Zieg

Good for you and your lucky outcomes.

not having your luck, I choose to either do the cut for a 'sheeple' or tell them 'sorry',but I carry good blades and will not take another chance [ happened too often ] .The blade was either broken or dulled to the point of ruin.

I do not carry cheap blades,and I would no sooner hand a nube a loaded gun,than a good SHARP knife.

Shalom my Brother.

The biggest advantage over the Classic, in my opinion, is that the keychain loop is opposite the blade hinge on the Rambler. I carried a classic on my keychain for a long time, but it was almost impossible to use the blade because I had to fit the handle and all of my keys into my palm to use it. With the keychain loop at the other end on the Rambler, you can use the keys as an extension of the handle instead of bunched up with it.

The biggest advantage over the Classic, in my opinion, is that the keychain loop is opposite the blade hinge on the Rambler. I carried a classic on my keychain for a long time, but it was almost impossible to use the blade because I had to fit the handle and all of my keys into my palm to use it. With the keychain loop at the other end on the Rambler, you can use the keys as an extension of the handle instead of bunched up with it.

That's why you make a nice little pouch sheath to mount it on your keyring. Then you just pull out and use whatever blade/tool you need. Or just use a quick release hook/clasp. Not a huge problem.
16034844452_f6ac020384_c.jpg

Back