1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sheeple knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jim malone, Apr 18, 2015.

1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I would suggest a medium sized (93mm I believe) Vic SAK such as the Pioneer or Tinker. The Classic is too small to do any serious cutting.

2. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    I had no idea ! I just looked at blade length and assumed......dang !

3. JKLnHYD

JKLnHYD

Apr 14, 2014
    I keep a victorinox rambler with me every day. Same innocuous size as the classic, just barely thicker, and you get a real phillips screwdriver and bottle opener.

4. edged932

edged932

Apr 17, 2014
    some kind of case knife i.e. peanut, stockman etc or a sak will do the job just fine for just a single blade i have found the victorinox alox solo to be a great edc

5. jkwithawave

jkwithawave ..... Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2011
    SAK or small Spyderco would work.

It's also not the knife that can scare people, it's how you pull it out and use it. Two handing your Military will be a lot less intimidating than flicking it out. Someone may comment on the size but I doubt they would be startled from it.

6. AreBeeBee

AreBeeBee

Sep 3, 2013
    True, but context is everything. Out of the kitchen, anything other than a (small) SAK is suspect.

7. AreBeeBee

AreBeeBee

Sep 3, 2013
    Good item, non-scary for non-knife people. Ditto the Classic, and perhaps even the Cadet/Recruit, but these are pushing the limit for size. Obviously, the crowd you go amongst will vary in its response to knives, but smallish SAKs are generally a good bet.

8. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    sheepherders knife. Maybe even a shoe horn.

9. benlg

benlg

Jun 7, 2009
    I'll go against the popular opinion and not recommend a SAK, they def look safe and are accepted but the nail nick and sometimes strong spring are not for sheeple. I've seen them slip and cut fingers. I would also go with the Spyderco squeak, easy to open large spyderhole with two hands and very light.

10. BumblingBear

BumblingBear

Apr 19, 2015
    I used a Schrade Uncle Henry for this purpose for a long time. I just don't particularly care anymore. Legal is legal.

11. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Didn't know about this one. Love it!

Zieg

12. vilePossum

vilePossum

Jan 14, 2015
    seriosly get a small sak. even the roadie is to high-tech / value for a sheeple, plus the sak is very none threatening.

13. nick21

nick21

Feb 22, 2014
    How about a Spyderco Grasshopper? MUCH cheaper than the Roadie is.

Other than that, a Victorinox is a great choice.

14. mrdeus

mrdeus

Mar 6, 2012
    That's what I thought too, but you'd be surprised at how many assume it's a slipjoint and try to force it closed and then handing it back still opened.

15. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I work in an office and frequently open boxes, so most of the staff knows I have a small knife in my pocket.
    Whenever someone needs a knife, they ask me for mine.

I carry inexpensive Rough Rider slipjoints to the office and hand then out without worry.
    If someone says they like it, or asks where I got it, I give it to them.

They cost about 8$ -10$
    Not to mention they're actually more useful than bigger knives ( for my purposes).
    and a cheap 3.5" whittler saved my butt in the server room last week...

16. PURPLEDC

PURPLEDC

Apr 4, 2007
    Gil hibben raptor. Come on it had to be said. Honestly I would look at swiss army knives or leatherman type multitools. These types of tools dilute the overall impact the knife blade is going to make. In fact when those who dont care for the fact that I carry a knife they consider to be overly aggressive many actually ask why I dont simply carry a leatherman if I really am wanting just a tool. So I would say that or the SAK would make an excellent option that would also offer the user extra functionality.

17. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    One way to look at it is this - what bad results do you want to avoid when you loan someone a knife? You don't want him to cut himself. You don't want 'fraidy cats in the office to freak out. You don't want to cry if he ruins the blade or loses it or never returns it. That pretty much means you want something very small and very cheap. So I like Mr. Jackknife's suggestion of a Victorinox Classic. Or maybe a Leatherman Style CS. But the Classic is really the best bet, because you can get them used on eBay for cheap, and they fulfill the other elements you want in a loaner knife. If you are in a warehouse environment and your loaner requires a larger blade, then you can move up the food chain a little.

18. bomber258

bomber258

Mar 31, 2009
    Good for you and your lucky outcomes.

not having your luck, I choose to either do the cut for a 'sheeple' or tell them 'sorry',but I carry good blades and will not take another chance [ happened too often ] .The blade was either broken or dulled to the point of ruin.

I do not carry cheap blades,and I would no sooner hand a nube a loaded gun,than a good SHARP knife.

Shalom my Brother.

19. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC

Mar 26, 2013
    The biggest advantage over the Classic, in my opinion, is that the keychain loop is opposite the blade hinge on the Rambler. I carried a classic on my keychain for a long time, but it was almost impossible to use the blade because I had to fit the handle and all of my keys into my palm to use it. With the keychain loop at the other end on the Rambler, you can use the keys as an extension of the handle instead of bunched up with it.

20. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    That's why you make a nice little pouch sheath to mount it on your keyring. Then you just pull out and use whatever blade/tool you need. Or just use a quick release hook/clasp. Not a huge problem.
    [​IMG]

DB_Cruiser likes this.