• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Shocking enounter with Neil from TrueNorthKnives

I've been buying knives for years. I know many people at the knife companies on a first name basis and met many of them at shows. I've never had such a exchange as I did with Neil at TrueNorthKnives.

I'm a southpaw, but like many have somewhat gotten used to using righty knives. When I see a LH version of something I really want I jump. I had purchsed from TNK previously, but only once about a year ago. However, I've seen them around long enough to know they're legit. Even if their website is a bit dated.

On June 12th I saw a LH magnacut Umnumzaan was in stock at TNK. I immediately jumped at the chance to purchase one. I was driving and just about to go into an appointment for work. I pulled over and rushed to purchase it. In the mad rush to buy (and the site being a bit difficult to check out) I typed in the wrong card information (this is apparently important and you'll see later the disaster it caused). I then entered the correct info and the transaction went through, and breathed a sigh of relief... I actually got a LH Magnacut Umnumzaan! I then immediately called my mother and told her to get that for my Dad as a Father's Day Gift (like so many others I always have trouble figuring out what to get him, but this was awesome), and I'll settle up with her after work (I was already late). I then went into my appointment. She purchased one for my dad and text me letting me know she had got it.

A few hours later after work, I check my email, and see my order had been canceled. I was devastated and couldn't figure out why this would happen. I received, what now appears, to be a cookie cutter email about their TOS. I misread the first line about not selling to minors and attributed that to why my order was canceled, so I replied to the email, but then decided to call (I've never received an email from other companies like this). I got a lady on the phone who was pleasant enough and told me she wasn't the person to deal with this. She would send them a message and have them get back to me.

That's when the email chain starts. I was confused by the cancellation of this order from the start. Neil was pleasant enough in the first email. Told me to check my spam and that he had responded hours ago. I checked, and saw that Neil said my ordered had been canceled because of me entering the wrong card information the first time. Neil told me their processor automatically canceled any order when the first order doesn't go through. I've never heard anything like this before, and I still don't understand how a payment processor auto declines a transaction, but debits the money from the purchasers account.

I let Neil know I did receive the email he set explaining why my order was "auto canceled"

To which, Neil apologized, and said they had many other LH knives to offer including sebenza's (which I already have).

Now refunds take a few days to process. I know this. Normally, I see them as "pending" in my account days before they actually hit. However, with this there was no pending refund I could see. Sometimes canceled charges will also languish as "pending" for a day or two then drop off without actually hitting the account.

Two days layer I see the charge had went from pending to complete and was fully debited from my account. I also, didn't see an incoming refund that was pending either.

So, I emailed Neil again just to check on the status of the refund. You'll see in my email I made mention to the "automatic cancellation by the processor" (which I'm still confused about), but said that's neither here nor there and was curious about the refund.

Neil responded in a way I have never heard before in all the years I've been buying anything online. He said:

"Please listen to me. At this point I’m pretty sure that you’re a scammer and you’re just trying to hustle me.
You know very well that your money was refunded to you on June 12 at 11:49 AM Eastern daylight time this information was also sent to you at exactly the same time at your email address
So I can tell you right now you’re not gonna get away with this and you’re not gonna scam me or steal my money. If you’re not happy with this call your bank, which was which is what any person truly over 18 would do in a case like this, and you’ll find out that we did, indeed arrange for your money to go back to you The same day as the transaction.
Finally, I’m telling you right now we will never sell anything to you again and I am also tell you we have a whole ton of left-handed Umnumzaan tantos coming in.
I’m also going to report you and your account to the credit card company, MasterCard, for attempted Scamming.
The end goodbye."

I was absolutely taken aback. I'm trying to scam HIM? He was the one who canceled MY order and gave me (from my perspective) a bogus story about it being a credit card processor.

He may have refunded me on the day of the cancellation, but he should know these things aren't instant, like I do. Which was why I was contacting him and not my bank.

The thing that chuffed me the most the threats! I couldn't believe it... Especially when I'm the one who's been put out over the whole situation. Not only did I not receive a product but $515.01 was deducted from my account!

I replied instantly and told him "I've received no refund and the charge posted on the 12th. I only reached out because I know these things can take some time. I'll go ahead and file the dispute. Picture attached is posted transaction from my bank." I attached a screenshot from my bank showing there was in fact a charge from the 12th that had been fully debited from my account.

At this point I'm upset. So, I take him up on his advice and called my bank to file a dispute. Something I've never had to do in hundreds of transactions. Well, in the 6 hours or so from when I checked my account and sent the initial email, I had received the refund. Obviously, I didn't file a dispute, and I felt like an ass for jumping the gun (I know from lots of experience refunds can take a few days), but it was a oddball situation from the start, and I had never dealt with this company before.

So, I emailed him apologizing letting him know that I had received the refund. If I'm wrong I'll own it.

His last response is what prompted me to write this.

He said "DONT EVER CONTACT ME AGAIN."

This is literally the most disrespectful encounter I've ever had in years buying knives. It was a total shock to the system compared to dealing with folks like Candace at KnifeJoy or Brian at REC. The entire encounter had gone totally off the tracks, and I still don't know why. There was some confusion on my part, initially. I had never seen a TOS email like his before. Nor have I ever had an order canceled (automatically as Neil said) for inputting the wrong card info initially. Overall, I have never run into a situation like this before, but the responses were so far out of left field I'm still left agape.

I'm always looking for new places to buy knives. I'm a collector and user. I'm just shocked at the curtness of Neil's responses. When I contact ANY other knife company about a refund (for whatever reason), they always say something like "Let me check for you. I see the refund was processed on our side on X date. It's coming but it may take another day or two". Never once have I been called a "hustler & scammer" and get threatened to be reported to my own bank....

At the end of the day I have a great Father-day gift, as I received the other knife promptly, but I'm left shocked.

Below is the entire conversation from start to finish. Am I in the wrong here guys? I'm still totally confused and shocked over the entire situation. I also feel bad for the guy if he's been scammed so many times it's his go to accusation for people. How can such a short communication go so sideways?

Last edited:
The dude is a f**kin’ nutcase. Buyer beware. He’s like the soup Nazi from Seinfeld of knives.

Last edited by a moderator:
You aren't the first...

Neil still has that personal touch
of madness
tenor.gif

He’s driving his rep into the ground. Well… further underground.

Outlandish.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about crazy people.
You can only hope that other, cooler, minds prevail.

Neil never thinks he’s wrong, continuously treats customers horribly and is extremely quick to falsely accuse people. Sorry to hear this happened to you. Leave him an honest review on google.

Hmmm...seems like a pattern has been emerging. And not a pretty picture, at that.

There are some businesses that think they are there to serve customers, and appreciate the business. Then there are people like Neil, that think customers exist to serve him. I’ve rarely encountered someone so openly arrogant and condescending to their customers, and to think he’s the owner, not some low wage hourly employee.

If dealing with honest customers is so frustrating for him, he should just shutter the business and become a recluse. The guy is always on edge and paranoid.

Can anyone explain what might have really happened with the subsequent CC denial? I bet most people mistype their card number or security code at some point—and finally get it right.

Or was that story completely BS? (Is this a new thing: they see how many times it takes you to type correctly? Or get the right card?)

Somebody mentioned cocaine, since he lives in Hollywood Florida I would say he probably has a gambling problem from the hard Rock Cafe. I've heard stories of people gambling their mortgage money away. I don't gamble so I'm only guessing. But I know we're not to buy a knife from, Hollywood Florida

Can anyone explain what might have really happened with the subsequent CC denial? I bet most people mistype their card number or security code at some point—and finally get it right.

Or was that story completely BS? (Is this a new thing: they see how many times it takes you to type correctly? Or get the right card?)
I was shocked too. I have never heard anything like that in all my time buying knives. That's why I mentioned it more than once beceause it seemed... ehh phony

There are some businesses that think they are there to serve customers, and appreciate the business. Then there are people like Neil, that think customers exist to serve him. I’ve rarely encountered someone so openly arrogant and condescending to their customers, and to think he’s the owner, not some low wage hourly employee.

If dealing with honest customers is so frustrating for him, he should just shutter the business and become a recluse. The guy is always on edge and paranoid.
That's honestly what this entire interaction felt like. I've had a few rocky transactions with bad QC knives before, but nothing like this, and nothing that couldn't be worked out civilly. I honestly couldn't believe he was calling me a scammer. I thought, how does that even make sense? My order was canceled and money debited. Obviously, when he canceled it, he refunded it immediately, and it just took a few days to process. Why not just communicate that? I could understand maybe the scammer accusation if right after he mailed something I started complaining, but the order was kaput. It was just super frustrating and I tried to be polite.

Often it's an issue with the CVV/CVC number or the zipcode. Card number and expiration date could be entered in correctly, which the charging entity's side verifies as valid, but then when the bank does the verification on their side with the extra security parameters, the charge doesn't go through if the CVV and/or zipcode wasn't entered correctly. M This will typically show up on a customer's statement immediately, often with the "pending" note. However, the charge go through to the vendor's side. Depending on the bank the charge could simply disappear or it could do a -+ thing and display as a refund.

I don't know why the purchaser's bank would block a second transaction because of incorrect information on a previous attempt, unless this is a specific, additional protection they do or perhaps it's additional protection that the customer opted in to. Seems weird, because everybody makes a typo on occasion. Multiple incorrect attempts will likely trigger actual fraud protection, causing the card to be locked and you'd get a call or text or whatever from the bank.

What baffles me about this whole situation is that Neil clearly understands that the card company can and does block transactions because of incorrect info. ANYBODY that deals with credit card transactions from a business side knows that both charges and refunds don't necessarily happen immediately, and just because a refund was issued at 11:49AM EDT, that doesn't mean the customer will see it at exactly that time, or even the same day. That's why freaking EVERY company's refund policy says something like 3-7 business days for a refund (even though it's usually much quicker). Many POS systems (that's Point of Sales, although the other definition is often apt), while they immediately process charges, don't immediately process refunds, but do at the EOD when the system is closed out to make it ready for the next day (which, if done after Midnight, can add an extra day to the whole thing).

And then to top it off, Neil goes Full Asshole and rubs it in that he's getting a shipment of knives that he'll never sell to the OP, as though OP would ever consider buying from him again at this point anyway.

I was shocked at the way he treated me, too.

File a charge-back request with your credit card company to get your money back and then do not engage with that guy ever again.

That's honestly what this entire interaction felt like. I've had a few rocky transactions with bad QC knives before, but nothing like this, and nothing that couldn't be worked out civilly. I honestly couldn't believe he was calling me a scammer. I thought, how does that even make sense? My order was canceled and money debited. Obviously, when he canceled it, he refunded it immediately, and it just took a few days to process. Why not just communicate that? I could understand maybe the scammer accusation if right after he mailed something I started complaining, but the order was kaput. It was just super frustrating and I tried to be polite.

Cross-posted, but as I said above, everybody who's ever worked the sales side of a credit card system knows that refunds aren't necessarily immediate. Or, at least, they SHOULD know. Also, depending on how the POS system works, cancelled transactions and refunds aren't necessarily the same thing either. Banks don't always do the same things as other banks either. Sometimes you'll get a refund for the full amount immediately. Sometimes you'll get the full amount in a day or three. Sometimes you might see a pending refund (for $0.00) before you see the actual refund. I've seen all three of these on my own bank account, so that tells me that vendors' systems work differently. And of course, your own bank could work differently. And then there's sales that go through an intermediary (PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc).

Regardless, unless the refund did actually go through to your end immediately after he processed it, there's absolutely no melonfarming way that you would "know very well that your money was refunded to you on June 12 at 11:49 AM Eastern daylight time". A customer might not realize this, but the seller definitely should know this and patiently explain this to the customer rather than going off the rails like Neil did.

I was shocked at the way he treated me, too.

File a charge-back request with your credit card company to get your money back and then do not engage with that guy ever again.
I got the refund and apologized (just to be decent) and he replied in all caps "DON'T EVER CONTACT ME AGAIN!"

Back