• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Shocking enounter with Neil from TrueNorthKnives

Cross-posted, but as I said above, everybody who's ever worked the sales side of a credit card system knows that refunds aren't necessarily immediate. Or, at least, they SHOULD know. Also, depending on how the POS system works, cancelled transactions and refunds aren't necessarily the same thing either. Banks don't always do the same things as other banks either. Sometimes you'll get a refund for the full amount immediately. Sometimes you'll get the full amount in a day or three. Sometimes you might see a pending refund (for $0.00) before you see the actual refund. I've seen all three of these on my own bank account, so that tells me that vendors' systems work differently. And of course, your own bank could work differently. And then there's sales that go through an intermediary (PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc).

Regardless, unless the refund did actually go through to your end immediately after he processed it, there's absolutely no melonfarming way that you would "know very well that your money was refunded to you on June 12 at 11:49 AM Eastern daylight time". A customer might not realize this, but the seller definitely should know this and patiently explain this to the customer rather than going off the rails like Neil did.
The refund hit my bank on the end of business on the 14th. After I emailed him for an update, and after things went sideways. I've seen those 3 typed of return charges in my account. Thank your for explaining it. I was never sure why some refunds/credits were deposited differently. At the end of the I just wanted confirmation that it had been processed when I received the email stating such. Like I said, every other vendor I've dealt with let you know it's done, but may take a bit more time. At which point I'm happy waiting a few more days. I've never once filed a dispute against any knife company. The whole thing was crazy.

Last edited:
Damn!

I reserved judgement/commenting in that last 'Ugly' TNK GBU (flicking the knife during the phone conversation) thread, because I've personally have had nothing but positive experiences whenever I've dealt with Neil in the past, although it's been awhile.

I always prefer picking up a phone (in lieu of emails/texts) whenever possible, especially when dealing with $$$$ customer service related issues. In this case, however..... maybe it was a prudent decision on the OP's part- not picking up a phone and try calling speaking with him directly....especially after reading the humiliating and rude way he treated that last guy who bought the expensive CRK wedding knives, when he tried the calling route.

off topic video / commentary removed by staff.

Last edited:
Look at the bright side, you're a bigger man than him, you apologize like a man and he responded like a little child.

You aren't the first...

I always pick up the phone myself. Just like I did initially this time as well, but got an email in response. I'm still just confused how a simple situation got so out of hand so quickly.

I always pick up the phone myself. Just like I did initially this time as well, but got an email in response. I'm still just confused how a simple situation got so out of hand so quickly.
Just anger issues. You can’t do anything in a situation where someone just wants to yell and scream at people.

I agree 100%, and this says a lot about you…and even more about him. I’m sure I’m not the only one that is thankful for another data point that this guy is to be avoided.

I agree 100%, and this says a lot about you…and even more about him. I’m sure I’m not the only one that is thankful for another data point that this guy is to be avoided.
I honestly had no idea about prior incidents. I was just shocked I was banned from purchasing knives from anywhere. I spend an exhobinant (for me anyway) amount on knives each year. I really stewed on this situation all night. I was going to call today and try figure out where things went wrong (this is why I prefer the phone anyway). However, I decided against it. He made it clear not to contact him ever again, and I'll respect that. I just had to vent more than anything.

Basically it's like making people think "oh, this is Frederick's of Hollywood, just for knives"...and it turns out to be H'wood, Florida...

And then Florida Man strikes again!

(No offense to true Floridians, been there lots '70s - '90s and always enjoyed the experience.)

If it's any consolation, I was banned from purchasing from a dealer for having the unmitigated gall of having castigated him for shipping me a less than stellar, (read: flawed), example of a custom knife by a well known maker after I had taken pains to ask them to examine the knife before shipping...to avoid just such a situation.

Water under the bridge now, so I won't go into it, (though I'm sure the saga is still here on the forums)...but the icing on the cake for me was that I found one very much like it at another dealer at a substantial savings.

When I figured bygones were bygones, I tried to place an order with them a couple years later and they declined my purchase...simply because I was right and they were wrong, but couldn't man up and take responsibility.

C'est la vie.

Don't let the miscreants get you down. There are too many good dealers, (is that an oxymoron? ☺️), to let a bad one spoil the experience of getting a special piece.

Just anger issues. You can’t do anything in a situation where someone just wants to yell and scream at people.
For real though.

My favorite part is when the guy accuses OP of attempted theft, then talks about the incoming lefty shipment coming in that he’ll never get to buy. Deliberately antagonizing.

For real though.

My favorite part is when the guy accuses OP of attempted theft, then talks about the incoming lefty shipment coming in that he’ll never get to buy. Deliberately antagonizing.
I feel bad for anybody that turns around in Neil’s driveway. 🔫

Haha that’s awesome. Sounds like he has a cocaine problem.
😂😂🤣🤣🤣😂😂 I just read that all and came down expecting to see a lot of posts discussing the povs from both sides and I come to your gem of a comment and fucking died 🤟🏻

I got the refund and apologized (just to be decent) and he replied in all caps "DON'T EVER CONTACT ME AGAIN!"
Sorry you dealt with this dude but as you go through life you’ll sadly come across many a complete dick biscuit , don’t let it deter you !

Somebody mentioned cocaine, since he lives in Hollywood Florida I would say he probably has a gambling problem from the hard Rock Cafe. I've heard stories of people gambling their mortgage money away. I don't gamble so I'm only guessing. But I know we're not to buy a knife from, Hollywood Florida
He’s got a bad batch me thinks if he is shoveling the devils dandruff .ahhh this whole post has had me snorting no pun intended 😂

Hollywood is not a very good place, it's old and run down. Pembroke pines is the best area. West of Hollywood. And yes their is a lot of drugs. I lived there most of my life. I've never heard of this doozh bag before. I used to go to Broward gun and knives. They have everything. It was nice to see your knife before you bought it. The internet created these unscrupulous sellers.

I think someone found his Twitter account.. and he had some pretty nutty posts. He tried to deny it was him lol

Back