Show Your Machetes

i carry an old czech machete it is awesome.seems to be what condor is modeling thiers after nowadays:D
IMG_20120114_155613.jpg

the flat end is usefull as a shovel for light digging.i keep mine fairly sharp(not razor sharp) excelent for the pacific northwest underbrush:thumbup:

i carry an old czech machete it is awesome.seems to be what condor is modeling thiers after nowadays:D
IMG_20120114_155613.jpg

the flat end is usefull as a shovel for light digging.i keep mine fairly sharp(not razor sharp) excelent for the pacific northwest underbrush:thumbup:

Nice example! The tapanga pattern is well known throughout Africa. It's an excellent heavy chopping style produced by a wide range of manufacturers. Condor just happens to be one of the latest to do so. :)

Heres my slightly modded cold steel kukri. I have used and abused it for several years now.
csknives81811003.jpg

I just took some pics of my machete collection, and threw in my Bark River Golok and Culberson Bolok for good measure. Enjoy!

necklaceanddog037.jpg

My favorites!
necklaceanddog040.jpg

My new Bark River modified Ontario machete, it's awesome!
necklaceanddog039.jpg

Natural_Canvasbarktario.jpg

I live in the South East US and love my 12" Ontario. I currently use the "economy" model Ontario and have modified the way that Colhane on Youtube recommends and it works like a charm.

I made a kydex case or cover for it. I don't really call it a sheath because I don't carry it on my belt. I can and have carried it on my belt using a Tek-Lok and it works quite well but it is usually part of my pack.

When not actually in use it rides behind the back seat of my F150.

It is a handy little tool and if I was limited to one cutting tool in the wood it would have to get serious consideration.

Here are a pic:

Attachments

• DSC01515.jpg
    DSC01515.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 122
my main 3
IMG-20120409-00632.jpg

IMG-20110317-00199.jpg

IMG-20111230-00451.jpg

IMG-20120407-00622.jpg

I have a CS panga that sees alot of abuse around the house and a Meyerco d handle in the truck.

A little on the small side of the machete family but it's been working while I've been in Ireland. Muela Kukri

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

I haven't seen any Ka-Bar Cutlass Machetes in this thread yet, so I'll post mine. This is my only big knife at the moment and I'm really impressed with it.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

100_1483.jpg

The only machetes I own atm. From top to bottom:

Martindale Bolo Cleaver machete. Put a vinegar and mustard patina on it
Ontario 18" Military machete with mustard patina
Cheapo Wal-Mart machete. Recently found this one in the garage. Thought it was long gone. Handle was broke so I just used electrical tape. It's mainly just for decoration now.

Hi 42 blades, I noticed you are now carrying the Svord 12" machete with l6 steel. I am really digging this machete, did you get a chance to use it? Can you give us a little review if you did? Thanks

I haven't had the chance to give them a thorough thrashing or anything, but I can tell you they're quite the chopper for their short length, with a very versatile handle design and nice forward balance. The leather sheath is a fold-over pouch style, and swallows all but the top inch or two of the handle much like Scandinavian traditional sheath. The belt loop is integrated as one of those under-the-belt type loops to simplify the construction and keep it from costing an arm and a leg. The edge has a short hollow saber primary grind, and I thin and convex the V edge it comes with from the factory. All in all a very good tool and a great price point for a big piece of L6!

Here's most of mine:
Marbles Jungle
Imacasa Daga
Tramontina Bolo
CS Bolo
Corn knife - origin unknown, has "Austria" stamped in the blade

0426021021.jpg

I meant to do a review of the Imacasa Daga 14", but after doing some informal chop tests, the Tram Bolo is far superior and I won't be taking the Daga backpacking any time soon. I get the impression the Panga style is best for very dense softer vegetation, and has enough mass to be used as a chopper if needed. For anyone curious it has the exact same dimensions at the business end as the CS Panga but shorter by 2" and a distal taper. Has very good feel and balance overall, but the sweet spot is too far back to equal the hard chopping power of a bolo pattern IMHO and limited use, though I have the same impression of my CS Panga.

From a practical standpoint, the corn knife is the nicest to use on tough loose vines where speed is essential - very light and fast with a long handle. The CS Bolo comes in second, and I picked up the Tram to be a lighter version. The Daga I picked up because it looked too cool not to buy and I wanted to see if I could make a quick pull sheath for it.
0426021016a.jpg

Edit to add: I might gift it to a buddy and see if he'll carry the Daga out on my next trip. That's aneasy way to get a review without toting it myself...:)

Last edited:
Back