Show Your Machetes

Condor Speed Machete (after some attention)

IMG_2992.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2999.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice finish work! The Speed Machete hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as it deserves. It's not as visually interesting on paper as some of the other Condor models that came out this year, but it's a revelation in the hand. :)

WOW! That's a really nice machete! I watched your youtube and what an interesting little project. FortyTwo - I see you sell these and have a "select" version for an xtra $4.50 - what does that include?

The Special Grade servicing, as mentioned in the item description, is additional refinement of the factory edge. I thin 'em to between 12-15° per side and refine down to 6µ followed by stropping with chromium oxide compound.

Special Grade servicing varies both in specifics and pricing dependent on the aspects of the particular model that could benefit from extra tuning. With Tramontinas, for instance, the scales are flushed to the tang and the rounded tip reshaped, in addition to a few other things.

Use to be one of those ugly orange Marbles machete's LOL. I rehandled it, stripped it, squared back part of the spine and round the front of the spine.

Recenly finished these, so here you are:

A cleaver style machete:
oakcleavermachete_zps03ccf007.jpg

and a leuko machete:
leukomacheteOakversioncopia_zps81936f43.jpg

I just got myself my first machete, a Tramontina 14" that I took to my belt sander to give it an actual point an edge and flushed the grip, squared the spine close to the handle and rounded the rest. For about 12$ it really can't be beat.

Picked up a Rothco GI type sheath at the same time that I cut to 14.5", went to my local motorcycle shop and picked up an old inner tube for free and it's now part of my truck kit.

I think I'll make either a baldric or a belt for it from tubular web or 550 next.

474D58A5-446D-4568-A49A-E62D07159FC0.jpg

Spent about an hour filing the tip of this and sharpening it to use and clear my front courtyard. What a huge difference between this and my old "cheap steel" WWII fake machete!! The tramontina bolo just lays waste to mondo grass roots and other ground vegetation.
IMG_2004_zps989d80bb.jpg

Spent about an hour filing the tip of this and sharpening it to use and clear my front courtyard. What a huge difference between this and my old "cheap steel" WWII fake machete!! The tramontina bolo just lays waste to mondo grass roots and other ground vegetation.

The Tram Bolo is insanely good. I can't believe they are so cheap.

interesting! where did you find an esee machete with a pathfinder logo?

I actually scored it at a local garage sale. It was just laying on a table with no tag on it. Didn't know what it was but saw the micarta handle and though ESEE but when i pulled it out i saw the stick man and was confused. Now i know its a pathfinder special run made by ESEE for Dave.
Dont think they are still for sale but mot sure?

Modded Martindale Alligator brand, reground the classic shape to a cutlass shape and rescaled the handle and reground it to round the shape out as well.

2013-05-21200006_zps0ab0e6fa.jpg

-Xander

Use to be one of those ugly orange Marbles machete's LOL. I rehandled it, stripped it, squared back part of the spine and round the front of the spine.

Hey,I love the Orange on my Marbles.:p ;) :D

I drilled a forward lanyard hole so I could put a Knuckle/D Guard on it then sanded the handle to the spine,then torched it & gave it a clear coat of acrylic.

732a60c6-cc8e-4bde-9d13-66d41dd01004.jpg

DSCN1320.jpg

Last edited:
I made a new handle for my 12" Ontario from a rubber patio paver. It looks a little better now after I cleaned it up. I had a handle I made from some Osage orange but it never felt right. This feels great.
2-4-14+061.JPG

I thought I would bump this thread, as I have used machetes quite a bit in the past few years. For background, I started my collection in way, way south Florida when doing field work, so the habitats I was in were more jungle than hardwood forests of the southeast where I currently reside. Our field work typically doesn't utilize a lot of paths and such, so transect through dense woods and swamps is the general norm. And we really don't cut trails...the machetes were mostly used for when things got too thick with vines, or visibility was way down due to palms or other green/shrubby vegetation. As such, most of mine are designed to sporadically cut this shrubby and green vegetation, vines, and tall grass and also to push branches and such out of the way. The field work would sometime be all day and in very thick, nasty stuff, so shorter lengths and light weight were best. Anyway, here's my current collection:
From Top to Bottom:

Fiskars 22" - a good, long blade that's great for grassy and green vegetation given the lighter weight and thin blade. It takes a decent edge too, and seems to hold it pretty well. It's a little long and heavy to carry all day, but not a bad choice. Also, I've seen folks wreck these things on YouTube and such "testing" them, while bashing a possibly dull blade into hardwood oaks, then complaining when it ends up bent. Sheesh...this is plain stupidity as these blades aren't designed to cut hardwood...they are for thin/green vegetation. And for that it seems to really excel...especially with some room to swing.

Corona 22" - modified into a golok/parang style tip, and shortened significantly to about 17". This blade is typical of hardware store machetes...it takes an okay edge (I have learned much more recently, so I may be editing this statement), but doesn't seem to keep it that well, and is pretty floppy in stock 22" form. it feels much better now, and has obviously been painted for visibility (after losing it in the woods). It's probably my least favorite as of right now, but has seen the most use (used a long time before I started my collection and modifications). It has seen some really remote sections of Florida that most people won't ever get to see. It's great for an all-day carry in the woods, and has been used as such many, many times (both pre- and post-modification).

Unknown make, but made in Colombia 18" - cut to reduce the tip to a more blunt edge. I don't need a sharp point, so this increase safety and balance. This steel is fantastic...it takes a razor edge and keeps it really well. It's also light, but strong and stiff. I really like this one, and is one of my favorites at the moment. It's also been painted for visibility. This is a great machete for an all-day woods trek, and currently one of my favorites.

Ontario 22" - The chopper of the bunch by a big margin. I cut it down to get rid of the sharp point, and to reduce weight as this is a big, heavy beast of a machete. It's right at 19" for now, but will likely lose another inch or two at some point. It's been painted with orange engine enamel for visibility. This steel is well known, and excellent. It takes the hardest edge so far, and keep it. I have taken down some decently large exotic melaleuca trees with it in Florida, that would have taken forever with the Corona. I also modified the handle until it fit my hand and felt about right. It's a great all-around machete, but not one I want to carry all day due to the weight.

Tramontina 18" - pretty much unmodified other than sharpening it (might still need some work). I snaded the handle and gave it a few coats of BLO, and it feels very nice. I've ended up with blisters before from the Carona due to the rubber handle, but the oild wood feels great (much like my axes). It will lose it tip at some point as well. The stell, though, seems great and takes a fantastic edge. I'm looking forward to using it soon. I may carry a small piece of sandpaper to sand any hotspots the first few times I use it. But so far it looks like a great machete.

Gerber Gator 10" - unmodified. I bought this after using a friends, and I thought it was a handy little cutter for carrying all day. It's obviously best for green, thin vegetation, and I think it's the same blade as the Fiskars since they are partners or owned by the same company. It takes a decent edge, but the handle is much different than the others, and certainly feels pretty good. It hasn't seen the same use as some of the others, but it seems decent enough. Like the Fiskars, this is not designed for hardwoods work, but cuts green vegetation pretty well. This short blade requires a bit more flick to get the speed up.

So of course, right after I took the photo on top, I decided to replace the nylon lanyard with leather, and drill a hole and add one to the Tramontina as well!

Edit: I also have a cheap-o Coleman machete that currently does not have a handle. It's terrible...floppy and poor quality steel with a bad handle. However, it will be used to practice re-handling, as a few of the machetes above may end up with nice, oiled wooden handles...maybe something exotic when I'm comfortable!

A worthy bump... you guys got me goin'.

Here's my little assemblage;

DSC02071_zpsba84bdae.jpg

A recent Ontario 18" with an '86 Stemaco plastic scabbard. (finding the REAL surplus plastics is getting hard)

A '60s-'70s vintage Ontario 18" with it's original rubber "Jungle" sheath. Also kinda hard to find.

A "No-Name" (save for the "760" printed on the grip) corn knife I picked up at my local ol' skool hardware store for $7. It's stout.

A Lasher billhook I haven't decided on a haft for yet. I do have a nice old hickory sledge handle that would work fairly well.

A WWII CASE XX US Navy survival knife. The non-folding version (best) with just the simple steel edge cover.

I have a halfway decent surplus store nearby that I think I spotted some Barteauxs in when I went in for some half-shelter pole sections. Might go back for a couple.

I grew up in Hawai'i, so I've always had a machete or two around. Spent a lot of time in the mountains...

It was hanging around my buddy's shop for sometime, and I received it gratis while helping him move. Lasher makes a lot of CS's stuff for them, and CS is here in Ventura.

Back