Siberian Slashers: Russian titanium alloy blades

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This thread presents and documents a series of blades made from a special sheet of Russian titanium alloy. After some experimentation, I've concluded that this complex ti alloy is a unique gem.

5Al 2Mo 4.5V 1Cr 0.7Fe, a Russian grade called BT23.

Russians are skilled titanium experts. Ironically, in the 1960's even the titanium needed to build the SR71 Blackbird spy plane, which was made almost entirely of titanium alloy, had to be smuggled into the U.S. through a secret CIA program, to spy on the Soviets from whence it came.

About 90% of all raw titanium ingots come from Russia. From there, the huge ingots are sent around the world to a handful of titanium smelters that further refine the titanium and alloy it with other elements. The vast majority of ti alloy is all-purpose 6al4v. Much of what's left is one of 4 grades of CP (commercially pure) titanium, unalloyed.

What's left is turned into various high-alloy titanium stock for special uses, and a tiny fraction of that becomes Mad Science Forge blades!

Last edited:
A numbered series of ultralight but potent machetes will be made, to give trekkers of the woods something with reach and snappy cutting power, that won't weigh down their packs. The proof of concept:

IY5KumM.jpg

Are you going to bring any to the Eugene Oregon show? I would love to see one in person.

I won't have a table there this year, but I'd sure like to be there, and bring something to show off.

Seriously, where do you find these exotic Ti alloys anyway? I've called around a few places, and they all think I'm sniffing too many forge fumes...

A handful of knives will also be made. This ti alloy feels crisp and hard after heat treatment, very icy. A Mecha-style knife:

Qrzz2U7.jpg

Can't wait to see a couple more from this uber Ti.

Last edited:
Hi Sam, glad you are still alive :D I still want a gdamn bush beater/ forest trail blazing/ alien reaping Ti tool from you... it will happen, maybe this plane, maybe the next...

Mecha - I want one ok? please? +1 machete reserved? can I get number 5? my son is really into Ti (from minecraft and other games)

AND just to make this really crazy, this same Ti alloy is used in bulletproof iphone7 cases -> https://www.rt.com/viral/367054-iphone7-titanium-bulletproof-test/

Lol! Thanks for the super cool link. I'm sure you'll be able to get ahold of a slasher, dirc. You'd better wait 'till they're finished and take a look before you reserve #5. What if you like #6 better? :D

Hi Sam, glad you are still alive :D I still want a gdamn bush beater/ forest trail blazing/ alien reaping Ti tool from you... it will happen, maybe this plane, maybe the next...

Sloth357! Glad to hear from you, and yes you need a damn alien reaper / blackberry blaster!

Lol! Thanks for the super cool link. I'm sure you'll be able to get ahold of a slasher, dirc. You'd better wait 'till they're finished and take a look before you reserve #5. What if you like #6 better? :D

My son's favourite number is 5 :) so it won't change, it's been his favourite since age 4... he'll be eventually inheriting this :)

btw, what thickness is the bt23 stock for this siberian slasher?

Side question: have you ever tried folding beta Ti to do like a damascus pattern?? lmao, I wouldn't expect it's worth the time, or if the Ti will weld together well

My son's favourite number is 5 :) so it won't change, it's been his favourite since age 4... he'll be eventually inheriting this :)

btw, what thickness is the bt23 stock for this siberian slasher?

Side question: have you ever tried folding beta Ti to do like a damascus pattern?? lmao, I wouldn't expect it's worth the time, or if the Ti will weld together well

Thickness is about 1/8" for the Siberian alloy. Titanium doesn't forge-weld, normally. There is "Timascus" and such, which is decorative, and I'm not sure what the limitations are in how it's made. I'm gearing up to make san mai and bi-alloy titanium billets for forged swords - harder edge, springier spine and flats, the different alloy layers visible through polishing. Hopefully the first billets can be made this summer. This is all very hard work and it easily gets overwhelming, but I'm trying! XD

The slashers will be featured in this thread, and I'll spam you when #5 is coming around.

In your testing of bt23, did it get harder than your super Ti-Nb alloy you used in the sword? That stuff looked pretty impressive. :) It was 9.5Nb and 0.5Fe if memory serves, and the balance Ti

In your testing of bt23, did it get harder than your super Ti-Nb alloy you used in the sword? That stuff looked pretty impressive. :) It was 9.5Nb and 0.5Fe if memory serves, and the balance Ti

I believe it did and does, among other desirable characteristics for a sharp blade. But don't make the mistake of thinking that higher HRc automatically = a better ti knife. There is a lot more to it than a depth measurement of a conical penetrator! The TiNb readings were about 89.5Ti 10Nb 0.5Fe, but the iron could have been rust dust on the surface. The alloy is most likely 90Ti 10Nb.

Phase 1 of the Siberian Slasher machete project is complete. The first round of light machete blanks is cut and being forged into a more refined shape.

But what to make of the funny pattern left in the titanium sheet after being cut?

HMt2Tc1.jpg

Like a great beast felled by a hunter of the tundra, the entire carcass if this ti sheet will be used somehow.

X9KcEjo.jpg

Well in true Mad Science Forge fashion, obviously these drops should be used to make something designed to stab meat. What better use than barbecue skewers!

xRnYoe1.jpg

kdchZZn.jpg

These are very flexible but plenty stiff enough to run through any evil interlopers who crash your barbecue.

R6iy6IM.jpg

e9YzUtg.jpg

iDxhGxp.jpg

The cutting drops yielded 9 skewers. These will be sold, as Daddy needs a new pair of shoes and a big stack of grinding belts.

Sale thread:
https://bladeforums.com/threads/russian-ballistic-titanium-body-armor-skewers.1569018/

Support the Siberian Slasher project by collecting some very strange meat cooking tools! Don't make me turn to...

...Instagram! ...gram ...gram ...gram

Don't make me do it, Bladeforums! :O

PRd1UPY.jpg

"Step away from the social media website! You have everything to live for!"

Last edited:
Those are awesome Sam! If I hadn't just broken PayPal on that Shiv I'd be all over these;)

~Chip

A couple more forged pointies that were made slowly while figuring out the alloy:

3o9mTBZ.jpg

7WEYkB5.jpg

WBxX41u.jpg

Back