Single features that kill a design for you?

I frequently find myself NOT buying a knife for one little reason. For me, one of the biggest design killers is a glass breaker on the knife. I understand the utility of a glass breaker in certain situations, but I would never want one on my knife. Another killer is assisted opening, which is really upsetting because Kershaw/ZT happen to make a ton of great knives that are AO. Does anyone else have specific features that they try to stay away from in knives?

I feel your pain, but then again, de- assisting, or removing the torsion bar, is possible.
Also, I hate black coatings as well as serrations.
Thats just for modern folders.
For traditionals, there's really nothing that I completely hate.

I try not to buy liner/ frame locks. There are just much better locks available. I just got a ZT 0777 and will probably sell it because it is a frame lock. That and I wish it had a more traditional blade shape.

I'm also not really into traditional and fixed blade knives. Modern locking folders are more my thing. Combo edges are pretty bad as well.

Definitely spring assist. Most knives can be flicked open faster than SOG and Benchmade's assist. I hate that the Benchmade Emissary had a spring assist and it is an Axis lock? Like what the fug is the point of that? The assist is slow, the safety, screws, and axis lock are all jumbled in a half-inch corner that it looks like a cluster-fuck.

Won't buy:
Serrations, black blades, lockbacks, slipjoints, anything worse than AUS 8, FRN, chisel grinds, regular American style tantos.

Don't like:
Spyderholes, tip up only clips, deep carry clips, AUS8.

Last edited:
-being too thick. IMO 3mm is about as thick as a folder should go, however my favorite folder is 4mm at the thickest point, but the distal taper and flat grind make it very acceptable (spyderco Military).
-thumb studs. far inferior to the opening hole, IMO.
-having a "straight" profile and the tip being above the centerline. Look at a Sebenza, see how it is straight as a ruler? See how the tip is way too high in line with the handle? makes a crappy user, IMO. The Insingo is much improved. But the average ergonomics of a spyderco with the curved back and the blade usually angling "down" putting the tip in a much more usable area are more favorable to me.
-Having a sudden belly. I'll take a completely straight edge, or an edge with almost continuous belly, but I hate when it is straight, and then comes to a screamingly round belly to the tip. Opinel has this profile, but I generally give traditional knives a pass on my dislike list for some reason :p

1.Cheap handle scales
2. Tanto blades
3. Auto Locks (like the ones on crkts, they are just a nuisance)
4. Poor pocket clips that ride high

I gave a/o one more chance recently with an Emissary and i'm finished with them now, that's an expensive little knife for the wobble. Also serrations, tanto/chisel grinds, coated blades, anything that requires finger nails to open, smooth ss handles,D2 blade steel or any tool steels that are hard to sharpen.

Chisel grind. Serrations. Thick blade, I prefer slicers, not sharpened prybars.

Tanto Blades or any other feature marketed as "tactical".
the only thing tactical about these knives is the tactical decision to market to young mall ninjas.

Tanto Blades or any other feature marketed as "tactical".
the only thing tactical about these knives is the tactical decision to market to young mall ninjas.

Oh no, not tactical"...

At least I get to be young. :D

Ugly pocket clips. Ken Onion comes to mind but there are others. People say his stuff is organic because his last name is a vegetable. Doesn't mean your pocket clips have to look like a part of a Lego space ship.

Ugly pocket clips. Ken Onion comes to mind but there are others. People say his stuff is organic because his last name is a vegetable. Doesn't mean your pocket clips have to look like a part of a Lego space ship.
Lmao!!

I only have one absolute, and that's serrations. I have absolutely no use for them and they're an automatic turn-off. I used to not like lock-backs, but I just purchased a Spyderco Endura that should be here within' the week.

#1 Made in China.

#2 Liner & Frame Locks. (Few Exceptions)

#3 Riveted.

#4 Hole in blade opener.

#5 Blade Shape.

#6 Knockoff Copy Cats.

#7 Color.

#8 Serrations. (Very Few Exceptions)

#9 To Small.

#10 No Lockup.

Serrations, rivets, made in china, and anything that is only meant for one task which is why I lover my Leatherman so many uses.

Liner locks, frame locks, Axis locks, assisted-opening, bushing pivots, bearing pivots, riveted construction, flippers, overly thick blades, weird ergonomics, tacky aesthetics, too small, too large, lack of thumb studs or opening hole.

Back